Wife wants to separate for a while.

Runner2016Runner2016 USSilver Member Posts: 48

My wife has been asking me what I think about us separating for a while so she can think and make some decisions. The decisions would basically be to come back to us or get divorced. She has always been somewhat rebellious and is even more determined to do something if someone doesn’t want her to. So me objecting to her moving out just makes her want to do it more.

She said she is not doing it so she can go have fun, but that she really just wants some time to think. She said that all the questions that I ask her (I decided to stop asking her questions a couple of days ago, e.g. did you text him?, are you wearing that shirt?, etc.) make her resentful towards me and that time away might due her some good. I’m working my MAP, and getting started with the videos etc., still working on the foundation. She says she hasn’t really seen very much of a change yet. I’m sure that’s true, but since joining the forum, reading the books, and starting the videos I feel a change starting. She obviously still isn't happy in our relationship and is considering leaving me.

I’m worried that if she moves out she will not be able to be around and see the changes I’m making, not to mention she may never come back. She on the other hand thinks the changes will be more pronounced when we see each other, that she will miss me, won't be annoyed etc.

She hasn’t made any specific plans yet but said she would like to move out soon. She said she would still have to be close by so she could take care of the kids on her days so I can work. I don't really know what that means. No idea where she would stay etc.

Has anyone ever gone through this? I need advice from someone who has actually gone through this, not just people who think it’s a bad or good idea.  I already think it’s a bad idea, so you don’t need to convince me of that. My wife is stubborn and will do what she wants so putting down ultimatums etc. won’t work either.

Can someone who has gone through this before give me some advice?

Tagged:

Comments

• SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    Call with Athol
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
    missesnesbitRorschachCallmeCatCrashaxeCartB4Horse
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Everyone above said what I want to say, but my perspective is a bit different.

"I want a trial separation, I have a lot to think about," is usually shorthand for "I want to explore what being a single woman will feel like at this point in my life. Can I manage it and be happier than I am in my marriage? I need to live the single life for a while to find out."

I note she has the kids living with you, except when she wants to take them. So she's "exploring" what it would be like to live without full time parenting duties, too.

She's playing at being in her 20s again ... there's a cultural fantasy of being a single woman with a good job, who spends her evenings clubbing (or in expensive silk lounge wear painting her toenails) and spending her money on $500 shoes. The reality, especially for a mom with kids is very different. She wants to live the fantasy without any of the real life obligations.

It's not your job to help her escape reality. As everyone above says, you are married until you are not.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Crashaxewrangler
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    edited September 17
    That's pretty much exactly what everyone else is saying, and it isn't limited to women.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    CallmeCatHildaCornersCrashaxe
  • Runner2016Runner2016 USSilver Member Posts: 48
    I appreciate everyone's comments. This is a crappy situation. 

Just thinking out load here: I don't want my wife to be miserable in our marriage. Whats the point of that? I don't know that she wants to play single woman for a while or if she really does want to put some distance between us thinking that without being bothered by me she will like me more. Although I'm really trying not to bother anymore. Part of me wants her to move out if moving out is what she wants. Just like part of me would want to divorce her if that's what she wants. idk. very frustrated here. 

I don't know what Athol could say that hasn't already been said above. How much does he charge? I'm not made of $$. If I really thought he could help I'd be more up for it.

When my wife makes up her mind her mind is made. If she is set on separating it will happen. We are both about the most stubborn people ever.

My wife insists she is not having an affair, and isn't planning on having an affair. I don't know what to think. I'm paranoid anyway so probably not in the best from of mind.

I wish I would have found these great resources a couple of years ago.
    pastorgeek
  • DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
    Angeline said:
    That's pretty much exactly what everyone else is saying, and it isn't limited to women.
    Yup. 
    @Runner2016 don't allow yourself to be guilted into a separation. Just because she did not live it up in her 20s does not mean she can destroy a marriage and negatively affect your kids lives. 

No one forced her to get married.  How about some accountability and responsibility. 

And agree with @Angeline, you stand your ground and odds are she'll come around. My ExW asked for a legal separation. Gave it to her. Moved 3k miles away. 6 months later she's on the phone "So when are you coming back? I miss you"

I was to deep into the red pill to even give her a 5th chance. 
    "How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
    Runner2016CrashaxeAngelineTenneefordsvt
  • Runner2016Runner2016 USSilver Member Posts: 48
    I honestly don't think she is having an affair with the guy. She is very attracted to him. He makes her pussy wet. They have not done anything. My wife is 39, he is 26.She knows it wouldn't work out as well as he does. They have one class together one day a week. I already asked her to stop texting him and she said she has. After the semester ends they will never see each other again.

I'm still reluctant to fork over $150 for an hour with Athol but if it comes to that I will. My wife has PMS right now, is already tired all the time from school, and has clinicals all day today and tomorrow. 

I agree with everyone that separation can't happen. I will do all I can. If she leaves then that has to be it. Logistically she hasn't thought anything through, there is no way it could work where she still got to see the kids etc. as she said she would. I agree with @Crashaxe that both parties have to be working at it.