From Red to DHV Project - Making my Kid's Xmas Present

2»

Comments

• nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    @IrishGypsy for pre-varnished wood I would recommend using 00 steel wool or a medium scotchbrite pad to break the gloss. Next would be cleaning with a tack cloth then a good acrylic primer then acrylic paint. 
    After letting the project dry 4-7 days I would apply 3 coats of water based clear polyurethane. 
    Good luck with the project. We expect pics. 
    SignorePillolaRossa
    @IrishGypsy that primer will be fine. I would recommend however letting the first coat dry overnight, then lightly sand with 200-220 grit sandpaper, wiping with a tack rag and then two even, medium wet coats. Let dry overnight and start adding the colour. 

Once the colour/decorating is done, let dry overnight and then add the clearcoat in your desired sheen. 
  • IrishGypsyIrishGypsy UKSilver Member Posts: 407
    @nubby Can you get clear acrylic primer? I can't seem to see any that specify if it's clear or not and the wood is currently a natural brown colour.
    @IrishGypsy I was under the impression you were going to paint the whole project and not have the wood grain showing at all. If you want the wood grain to show, sand the wood with 220 grit wit your palm sander, apply the clear water based poly (1 coat) let dry over night lightly sand with 220 grit (don't use steel wool as it rusts if any remains on the surface under a water based finish) then apply an additional 2-3 coats. Do the decorative painting, let dry overnight and then apply 2-3 coats of clear water based polyurethane to protect it. 
    IrishGypsy
    @nubby I wish this place had a thank you button! That seems much more manageable.
  • MissDMissD On your leftGold Women Posts: 111
    edited December 1

IrishGypsy said:

My wife pissy at me spending my money on them without "asking her first". I just raised an eyebrow and asked her if she still wanted to decorate them or not and left it at that.

Sorry if I'm late to the discussion, but it wasn't about the money. I think, it was about the fact you treaded on 'her' terrain.

You picked out an 'heirloom' for her cubs, in her house, without consulting her in any way.

ETA, glad to hear you two are customizing it! <3
    I spoke to the guy who made it and as he used a schlack, I was advised to very lightly use 240 grit paper and then water-based acrylic paint before resealing it. Hopefully that'll do the trick!
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    MissD said:

IrishGypsy said:

My wife pissy at me spending my money on them without "asking her first". I just raised an eyebrow and asked her if she still wanted to decorate them or not and left it at that.

Sorry if I'm late to the discussion, but it wasn't about the money. I think, it was about the fact you treaded on 'her' terrain.

You picked out an 'heirloom' for her cubs, in her house, without consulting her in any way.

ETA, glad to hear you two are customizing it! <3
    what?? That is rubbish. They are also his kids, and it's also his house.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    IrishGypsynubbyBeatriceMissD
    edited December 7
    Very lightly sanded the back of the first height chart with 240 grit, then used a tack cloth, for the first time, to clear up the dust and then put a simple message on the back in water-based acrylic paint. I'll let it dry and tomorrow night I'll apply the first coat of the clear satin varnish @nubby recommended. In the morning, after my workout!, I'll apply the second coat.

If it dries OK, and looks good, I can proceed to do this to the front-left side and let my wife's creativity loose!  :#
    IMG_20161207_204026.jpg
    4160 x 2340 - 3M
    IMG_20161207_205135.jpg
    2340 x 4160 - 2M
    IMG_20161207_205155.jpg
    2340 x 4160 - 2M
    @IrishGypsy correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like some nice brown oak you have there. 
    That is going to be an heirloom piece for sure. 
    nubby said:
    @IrishGypsy correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like some nice brown oak you have there. 
    That is going to be an heirloom piece for sure. 
    It is indeed. Solid oak.  :)
    I'll leave it two days as the paint seems to take longer to dry in my cold garage. Then I'll apply one coat of varnish Thursday morning and another Thursday night and a final coat Friday morning. I'll then wrap them Friday night.
    TenneeAlphaNowAdam_SLenny