Intro & Triage of edithkeeler

Comments

• CowboyCowboy In the South, USASilver Member Posts: 1,994
    First of all, I love your Star Trek username.
    Now, on to business.
    1. Did you tell him how much the missed anniversary and unplanned birthday bothered you? If so, what was his reaction?
    2. You've mentioned several times that he is a narcissist. Aside from the birthday & anniversary fuck-ups, can you give some specific examples of his narcissitic behavior?
    3. An EA looks like two people who are getting romantically addicted to each other but haven't boinked (yet). I would argue that all EA's eventually become PA's, unless there is a geographical problem. Signs of an EA include: constant texting or e-mailing each other, sharing secrets and concerns that are way too personal, doing a lot of activities that would normally be the domain of a spouse or same-sex friend, being way too comfortable around the other person, talking about this person all the time...sometimes it's hard to tell, but the usual telltale sign is the overabundance of communication.
    4. As far as whether or not your husband could be having some kind of a romantic feeling for his buddy, yes, I think it's certainly a possibility. We often say around here that being gay or straight isn't a binary choice, it's more of a slider bar. There are a fair number of people in the world who have some latent, or not so latent, homoerotic/romantic feelings for their same sex friends. (I presently know two people who have this particular, umm, issue). Just because he likes banging you doesn't mean he doesn't feel something for his buddy. What makes you think they might be Ace & Gary (ambiguosly gay duo)?
    5. Even if he's not putting fantasizing about doing Greco-Roman wrestling with his pal, it's entirely possible he has a relationship with this guy that, emotionally, far exceeds what he has with you. One of the big problems (if not the biggest) with living with a narcissist is that other people are really just useful tools to them. You may be useful as a sperm bucket, maid, and daycare worker. He may not think you're so great as an emotional support, so he goes elsewhere. And anything YOU might want out of the relationship doesn't even cross his mind.
    "Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity
    edithkeelerHusband3point0HildaCorners
  • edithkeeleredithkeeler DixielandSilver Member Posts: 40
    edited October 25
    I don't think pointing out what he admitted moments before was a dlv. It was likely a catalyst to the later berating because he knew he was wrong.
    Good to know. You're absolutely right about him knowing he was wrong being a catalyst for the (first) later berating last night. I think I handled the second berating this morning as well as I could have given the circumstances and his relentlessness about bringing me down several pegs. I was really mad and sad when he sat there taunting me in front of our 9 and 7 year old saying "I hope your mom gets the help she needs" while I cried and the kids hugged me. (He always defaults to calling me crazy -- again, quite predictable.) I just said "H, please leave now because they'll be late to school if you don't" and unsuccessfully tried to hold back even more tears. Then as they were all leaving he successfully convinced my 9 year old not to go on the overnight trip with me. Obviously I wish both of my kids could come, but I dropped the issue and chose to avoid that battle.

What might have also contributed to the second berating was the fact that I mentioned some recent public shunning behavior towards me by the wife and teenage daughter of H's male friend, let's call him Mr. F. I really dislike Mr. F and think he is baaaaad news for my marriage. So I randomly saw Mrs. F and F'sDD a local Halloween party last night, said hello and was completely ignored. Ouch! H triangulates against me with this F family constantly. H is pissed to the highest level of pisstivity that I refuse to go to events where I know F and family will be present. Why would I socialize with these assholes?? Recently I excused myself from going on a weekend road trip to the beach because H informed me they would coincidentally be staying at the same hotel (which felt like a lie but I digress). I also skipped a work dinner they attended-- did I mention H moved our family across the country weeks ago in part so he could work with Mr. F? Now that we live here I finally see how it is. Gross. Anyway. Deep down H knows his words against me to Mrs. F behind my back is what started her hating on me and giving me the silent treatment all of a sudden. My mention of that dynamic inflamed the situation, but I felt it was necessary to speak out my truth that the friend's family are not these innocent bystanders to our drama. Damn triangulation. Ugh!

Mention F and family when they come up and H starts gaslighting me about them? DHV or no? Because I think it would be a DLV to tiptoe around an issue when something relevant to our family plans needs to be discussed. Not sure how to frame that one.
    Be awesome & stay positive!
    HowlAtTheMoonHusband3point0
    edited October 25
    Cowboy said:
    First of all, I love your Star Trek username.
    Now, on to business.
    1. Did you tell him how much the missed anniversary and unplanned birthday bothered you? If so, what was his reaction?
    2. You've mentioned several times that he is a narcissist. Aside from the birthday & anniversary fuck-ups, can you give some specific examples of his narcissitic behavior?
    3. An EA looks like two people who are getting romantically addicted to each other but haven't boinked (yet). I would argue that all EA's eventually become PA's, unless there is a geographical problem. Signs of an EA include: constant texting or e-mailing each other, sharing secrets and concerns that are way too personal, doing a lot of activities that would normally be the domain of a spouse or same-sex friend, being way too comfortable around the other person, talking about this person all the time...sometimes it's hard to tell, but the usual telltale sign is the overabundance of communication.
    4. As far as whether or not your husband could be having some kind of a romantic feeling for his buddy, yes, I think it's certainly a possibility. We often say around here that being gay or straight isn't a binary choice, it's more of a slider bar. There are a fair number of people in the world who have some latent, or not so latent, homoerotic/romantic feelings for their same sex friends. (I presently know two people who have this particular, umm, issue). Just because he likes banging you doesn't mean he doesn't feel something for his buddy. What makes you think they might be Ace & Gary (ambiguosly gay duo)?
    5. Even if he's not putting fantasizing about doing Greco-Roman wrestling with his pal, it's entirely possible he has a relationship with this guy that, emotionally, far exceeds what he has with you. One of the big problems (if not the biggest) with living with a narcissist is that other people are really just useful tools to them. You may be useful as a sperm bucket, maid, and daycare worker. He may not think you're so great as an emotional support, so he goes elsewhere. And anything YOU might want out of the relationship doesn't even cross his mind.
    Hi Cowboy! Excellent questions-- thank you. Huge Trek fan here. I've loved Capt. Kirk since I was a young girl.

1. Yes. He got mad at me for bringing it up and DARVO'd. About the birthday he said "you would be crazy to expect me to plan anything for your birthday with the way you act." (How I act? It was out of left field and he later denied having said that at all See #2.) About the anniversary, he ignored me and later on said "You didn't plan anything either! You haven't planned anything for me in years!" (False.)

2. Two different mental health professionals who sat down with him in recent years have diagnosed him as having narcissistic tendencies secondary to childhood trauma, and furthermore, it is a very common tendency for people in his specific profession. Additionally, he was raised by 2 NPD parents, and has internalized their dysfunction as his own sense of normal in many respects; his mother was predatory towards him, and until very recently he had never truly committed to real in depth therapy for it. The main hallmarks are lack of empathy-- though he can do fake empathy to impress someone when he needs to-- in longer term interactions though he cannot hide it. Everything is always all about him. Triangulation. Lying. Bizarre denials. Selective forgetting of things he just said that directly contradict what he is saying in the current moment. Gaslighting. Delusions of grandeur. He is not, however, full blown NPD -- we know this because he has some fleeting awareness at times but it comes and goes in waves, and in his profession, which attracts N-types, he is a leader. Other narcissists love the guy-- such as his friend F the EA partner (or worse.)

3. Yes, it walks, talks and quacks like an EA.

4. Brace yourselves. I found an old text on his phone from a few months ago from H to his friend F saying "I love you" along with words of support for some marital problems F was having about convincing F's wife to make the move to where we all currently live. H denies there is anything wrong with that because H notes that I say I love you to a couple of my girlfriends who I have known since childhood. (Not the same). Dudes have only been friends since 2008. And most importantly they are DUDES, not ladies-- entirely different social rules and taboos apply. He insists they are just really close friends which sounds like the oldest story in the world to me by now. Did I really just type that out? Yes, yes I did. 

5. Correct on all points, @Cowboy. I have stopped being an emotional support because I am so pissed about having been induced under false pretenses to make this cross country move, and disgusted by his recent acting out.
    guildenstern1Husband3point0
  • HowlAtTheMoonHowlAtTheMoon Silver Member Posts: 1,183
    ^^^^^ Maybe that is why The F wife isn't warm to you. If she really didn't want to move,  she might negatively associate your family with that. You two might actually have a lot in common.
    CowboyIrishGypsyHusband3point0
  • CowboyCowboy In the South, USASilver Member Posts: 1,994
    edited October 26
    @edithkeeler ,
    Wow, there is a lot more going on than just an overweight wife and an inattentive husband. 
    His "friend of friends" --
    I completely agree that saying "I love you" to another man is odd. I can't imagine ever saying that to one of my buddies, even my best friend.
    Can you give us some more details on any other, umm, very "friendly" things they do? Do they touch each other a lot? Go off by themselves?
    From my limited personal experience with people whose door swings both ways...they are often reluctant to admit that, even to themselves. It's easy to do, I think, in part because you can spend a lot of time with someone and/or do some otherwise intimate stuff with somebody and just write it off as "being good friends." I actually had a conversation with a girl last week who told me she and her good friend liked to kiss and grab each others' boobs. She said they were just being "good friends" and not acting like lesbians/bi's because everything they did was above their waists!
    The other point I'll make is that, unfortunately, affairs are like icebergs: you only see the 11% of what's really going on. Even if you're only seeing a lot of creepy man-love texts, there might be a lot more going on that you don't know about. I think it would be worthwhile to investigate this more, but don't.get.caught.

Prickliness with Mr. F's family--
    It's no surprise to me that there's a lot of friction going on with this other family. As Howl suggested above, maybe they didn't want to move, either. Maybe your husband told them some bullshit story about how this was *your* idea. The most obvious one, though, is that they probably know YOU don't like THEM. You keep avoiding doing things with them, your body language probably signals your distaste, and given your H's track record, there's a good chance he's told them. Most people aren't that stupid, they're going to figure it out.
    I know it's hard, but I would try to put out the open palm to Mrs. F, and see if you all can get along better. As Howl said, you guys probably have a lot more in common than you think.

Resentment--
    I can't really tell why from your posts, but your husband has a shitload of resentment going on towards you. It's unmistakable. Comments like "why do you deserve a birthday present" reek of it. Maybe he's just a total dick, but for your sake, I think it would be worthwhile to find out why he's so upset at you. Even if he starts to gaslight you or berate you, I think it would be a gain just to know what kind of bug has crawled up his ass and died.

Edit:
    Can you give us more details on this move to another place, coordinated with his special life-mate? I suspect this might explain a lot.
    "Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity
  • HowlAtTheMoonHowlAtTheMoon Silver Member Posts: 1,183
    Is there a correlation between you defending yourself and an escalation of resentment on his part? (Of course there is, but can you clearly see it.)

edithkeeler
    ^^^^^ Maybe that is why The F wife isn't warm to you. If she really didn't want to move,  she might negatively associate your family with that. You two might actually have a lot in common.
    Amen! I know *I* certainly have a negative association with the F family vis-a-vis the move, so the reverse is probably also true. During the job interview and family visits process, FW's emotional needs took on way too much space for me, H and F to the point we were actively setting boundaries with her, and avoiding her emails in which she probably meant well and thought she was trying to help and ask good questions, but it was all about assuaging her own anxiety. I did a ton of hand holding and emotional labor for her which I regret (Ugh! My Nice Girl stuff)-- when really my own H should have been doing that emotional support for me like a good Captain would have. (And extra cunnilingus sessions wouldn't have hurt either. I mean, it won't eat itself, H! Lol)

In short, she believes whatever bullshit F or H tells her. She is a SR2 SAHM approaching 50, and F bitches about her constantly. She bankrupts for status, is anxious, etc. F blames the need for the job change on FW's spending and her "forcing" him (I know, lol) to take a job in an undesirable area for that job market because it was a nice, high cost of living place to live. She has no idea about the creepy EA vibes. The recent move was a huge financial gain for their family and a definite career boost for F and H, too, though the money may be about the same for our family. Bottom line: FW is definitely not a positive person who will help me achieve the objectives of my MAPping. Good riddance!
    edited October 26

Cowboy said:
    Can you give us some more details on any other, umm, very "friendly" things they do? Do they touch each other a lot? Go off by themselves?
    Resentment--
    I can't really tell why from your posts, but your husband has a shitload of resentment going on towards you. It's unmistakable. Comments like "why do you deserve a birthday present" reek of it. Maybe he's just a total dick, but for your sake, I think it would be worthwhile to find out why he's so upset at you. Even if he starts to gaslight you or berate you, I think it would be a gain just to know what kind of bug has crawled up his ass and died.
    Apart from the ILY text I found (hell yes, I look through my H's phone), there are no smoking guns that they are having a PA per se. I will of course keep looking surreptitiously. They used to go on a guys trip every 18 months or so meeting up in a random big city doing Beta stuff together like going to nice restaurants and concerts, and sharing a hotel room-- sometimes another guy would come along. Having typed this out just now and rereading it to myself-- uh, like it reads like a damn date! I don't have anything concrete to go on beyond that. No brokeback mountain stuff that I can detect at this point but, again, nothing would surprise me.

On resentment-- clearly I have it towards him, too. Professionals have explained it to us as "Transference." It's a well-documented phenomenon. When one's own mother is a predator like my H's was, unless one is super self-aware and does the personal work OF COURSE it is going to come back some day as inexplicable negative emotions towards his wife, especially when the wife becomes a Mother herself. (I've seen untreated Transference in loads of threads here where folks just can't figure out what is going on with one of the spouses.)

What's my role in this?? Hand on my heart, I'm asking myself what have I done to deserve this treatment? And it's clear that I am fat around my belly right now, and I refuse to hang out with F's family who suddenly ignore me and who are Vampirish anyway, but legitimately I have my shit together across pretty much all of the metrics articulated in Athol's MAP book. My issue is I have been a Laid, Maid and Trayed Nice Girl who has not asked for nearly enough and he does not value that for which he does not have to work.
    TwelveRubiesSharkGuyAngeline

Did he move you to a state with less advantageous (to you) divorce laws? Do you know what your legal position would be in case of divorce? 
    Knowledge is power. 
    Good luck as you MAP for yourself
    Thank you! I am well-positioned, yes, and know the legal optics of the situation. The 2 states' laws play out about the same, which is to say Lose/Lose! The law and finance stuff is my own personal wheelhouse -- we have a community property agreement. I run all of the family finances and know where his skeletons are buried, too. This piece is well in hand. Divorce would make both of us less financially well off as it would to probably 99% of people, not to mention the life-altering horror of it for our 3 sweet little kids. I know he really does not want that because he knows I would be in a more powerful position than him given what I know and if we split I would have much less to lose uh, reputationally, than him. If he tried any N-person typical high-conflict nonsense on me, I would have reputational leverage. 
    SignorePillolaRossa

Is there a correlation between you defending yourself and an escalation of resentment on his part? (Of course there is, but can you clearly see it.)
    Yes, ma'am, I totally see that. Rocking the proverbial boat as I MAP will not always be easy, but I will not and cannot keep living like this. I'm grateful for your inspiring theads and comments here. Makes me feel a lot less alone in dealing with a spouse with mental health challenges. Thank you!!
  • TwelveRubiesTwelveRubies New EnglandMember Posts: 85
    I wish I had advice but all's I got is encouragement.  You do you girl, and pay yourself first like you know you need to. Every step away from bending over backwards for him is another step towards your freedom from his antics. You got this.
    SharkGuyedithkeeler
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079

Did he move you to a state with less advantageous (to you) divorce laws? Do you know what your legal position would be in case of divorce? 
    Knowledge is power. 
    Good luck as you MAP for yourself
    Thank you! I am well-positioned, yes, and know the legal optics of the situation. The 2 states' laws play out about the same, which is to say Lose/Lose! The law and finance stuff is my own personal wheelhouse -- we have a community property agreement. I run all of the family finances and know where his skeletons are buried, too. This piece is well in hand. Divorce would make both of us less financially well off as it would to probably 99% of people, not to mention the life-altering horror of it for our 3 sweet little kids. I know he really does not want that because he knows I would be in a more powerful position than him given what I know and if we split I would have much less to lose uh, reputationally, than him. If he tried any N-person typical high-conflict nonsense on me, I would have reputational leverage. 
    sounds like you've got your head on right about it all

i hope he gets his head out of his posterior so you two can enjoy a mutually edifying marriage
    this is a pro-marriage site so try everything you can ... but if he doesnt get it together and start treating you well, you might find yourself needing to eject yourself and your kids ... you don't want them growing up with a horrific model of what married life should be like
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    ============================
    AngelineedithkeelerScarlet
  • quanyinquanyin USAMember Posts: 9
    Hi @edithkeeler. It sounds like you're going through a lot; others' comments and your introspection are all on point here. 

The postpartum period is difficult (hi, same boat here), but it's also a great opportunity to meet other moms, especially since you're in a new area. It can be hit-or-miss, but it may be worth putting yourself out there and connecting with someone new who is also dealing with the usual stressors of motherhood. There may also be "baby and me" type exercise classes that will help you get fit and bond with your babe. You have a lot of major life changes going on in addition to the relationship issues. Look outward and work on the things over which you have full agency.
    edithkeeler
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Edith -- I know you want to stay married, and as a rule we're very pro-marriage here, but have you given full thought to how a divorce would affect you and the kids?

It's your choice whether you choose to live with a NPD husband, but I worry for your kids, that they're growing up with a very warped perception of how men/daddies are supposed to act. They don't understand their father is mentally ill, they don't understand that his actions are not normal.

It might be better for your kids to have some distance from their father, and for you to present them with other male role models (not necessarily your dates, but Scout leaders, etc.) Only you can make that decision.

I'd like to give you more support/advice, but your posts set off some strong triggers for me — my last husband didn't have NPD, but behaved very much as if he did. I ended up divorced, and am having a hard time understanding why anyone would want to stay with a man like this. But that's my road, you have your own. May it be smoother than mine.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    quanyinSignorePillolaRossaedithkeeler
    When esteemed commenters like @SignorePillolaRossa and @HildaCorners are telling me to consider divorcing a man like my husband, I had better sit up and take note. I hear you. Hoo boy, do I hear what you both are saying. Thank you for saying it. The likelihood and costs/benefits of my marriage ending in divorce is at the forefront of my thinking on this.
    The overnight trip with my middle child was really amazing. Oldest child, whom H did not want me to bring along while saying 'let him choose', "chose" to have a night out with H and then spend the day at my parents' house while H worked-- my dad took him to a movie and the park. My parents recently moved here to NewState and finally set up house so they now are ready, willing, and able to care for the kids. Very lucky to have them here, and I feel so grateful they are in good health and love spending time with their only grandchildren (I'm an only child.)

The kids compared notes about their days and Oldest was upset when he saw the photos of what fun new things Middle did. He mentioned his disappointed feeling to H-- if H were healthier, he could see that him manipulating Oldest into staying home while dressing it up as Oldest's "choice" was not great parenting. Pretty sure that message was received on some level.

Yesterday morning, H came into my bedroom as the kids were getting ready for school and we had the following exchange:

H: "How was BigCity?"
    Me: "Do you actually even care about my answer to that question?"
    H: "Yes, of course I do. I'm sorry."
    Me: "You know the neighbors heard you through the bathroom vents when you yelled 'I hope your mother gets the help she needs' and they also heard what the kids said and they heard me crying."
    H: "You're lying. You lie so much about so many things."
    Me: "Don't make the kids late to school again. You should leave now."

I'm sorry does not even begin to cut it though, obviously. Really pleasantly surprised he even said it in the first place given his specific set of issues, though it means nothing. He's acting desperate.

I decided I did not feel like being awoken in the morning and being berated and/or accused of lying again so I spent last night at my parents' new house with the baby and slept in until 7:45am. I have a call out to my therapist as to how to proceed from here. Told my mom everything that happened and she is really shocked and supportive. H took this recent escalation to a new level. I can't expose my children to this. Need a plan. I'm seeing that me leaving the house results in good treatment from him and a calm situation for the kids.

Last night I texted H to tell him where the baby and I would be staying. H showed up at my parents' house with the 2 older kids and a peace offering (or something?) for me of Thai iced tea and some spring rolls. We all watched the baby try to take his first steps and clapped for him-- it was a sweet moment.

Leaving makes things better.
    42andatowelamblrgirlCowboy