Intro & Triage of edithkeeler

Comments

• SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    agreed - no doubt

would being served papers be enough of a trauma a motivate an NPD? (an A/B without the A?)
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
  • SallyManderSallyMander Silver Member Posts: 2,087
    Just wanted to add my voice to those wishing you well. I'm married to the son of 2 NPD parents who *has* done/is doing a lot of the hard work related to self-awareness (including recognizing some of his own narcissistic tendencies) and, well, I'm still here too. :-) 

Keep moving forward, doing whatever you need to do to secure your and your children's future, and the path will become clearer. You definitely sound together enough that it will be the best outcome for all of you.
    BeatriceHusband3point0quanyinedithkeeler
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    SPR, you cannot talk a NPD, bipolar or gaslighter into logical thinking. They need to wrest themselves into it, typically in response to trauma delivered to them which motivates them sufficiently to reject the old paradigm and replace it with a new one. 

Their vested interest in their current version of reality is so deep-rooted that only something equally traumatic will get them to release their hold on the current paranoid driven reality and adjust into a healthier collective reality shared with others.
    And SPR replied:
    would being served papers be enough of a trauma a motivate an NPD? (an A/B without the A?)

I can only answer from my situation, but the answer to SPR is "maybe."

The ex in question wasn't NPD. He was Aspie, with totally repressed childhood abuse (maybe sexual) and possibly bipolar as well. He was able to keep his life under some control long enough for us to fall in love, marry, and make babies. Eventually I found out about his deep dark past (and deep dark present), and, in the presence of the best therapist I could find, confronted him.

This was a major, major trauma for him, and he reacted to it by withdrawing and becoming depressed. Despite the therapy, he never started healing — instead he cracked, and became psychotic.

H3.0's trauma idea might work, or it might backfire. I would never try it without having mental health professionals standing by for a few weeks, ready to whisk him into a hospital for evaluation (this didn't happen with my ex). And also making provisions to leave with kids in a hurry if he becomes violent (which did happen to me).

Standard disclaimer: I'm speaking from my experience only, and I truly hope your experience is different and better. I'm trying not to project my feelings and opinions as advice, just as an experience you should know about.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    edithkeeler
  • edithkeeleredithkeeler DixielandSilver Member Posts: 40
    It depends upon what your real objective is. 

I am not convinced, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that her real goal medal ultimatum is something as simple as -- "put real effort into therapy and heal from your childhood such that you no longer see me as the root of your issues. If you don't, then I will be forced to save myself and my children from your psychological abuse." 

Yes!! That is exactly it!!!

IOW, he's not going to get a "change your attitude" message IMHO. I actually believe he is not capable of processing that message cognitively. I honestly believe his hamsters are so ingrained and strong to protect him from damage such that he cannot process a "it's your fault" message. Not by the way she describes him anyway. The usual NPD pattern is to protect oneself from blame, at all costs. They will literally rewrite history and their own experiences in order to avoid blame. They're typically immune from accountability, basically. 

Exactly!!! He is not capable of processing that message cognitively-- rather, he is obsessed with shielding himself from blame, no matter how trivial the subject matter of the vaunted "blame" may be. Everything is about him avoiding "accountability." To wit: He caused the latest horrible drama in our home in front of the kids because he internally freaked out about the prospect of being blamed for not checking iCal, and he felt me having too much autonomy from him. 

She needs an epic version of 'boo the villains' basically, which in his case is his dystopian childhood that created this mess. 

Bingo! This is, in essence, what my therapist who is an expert in N-issues says. To reach the caring, healthy part of him and get past the pathology I have to have an exceedingly light touch about it (!!!) and basically say soothing things to help him connect the dots to his own childhood. "And when you thought I was taking Oldest out of town without your permission it probably felt like a total nightmare to you." Etc.

Be awesome & stay positive!
    He has to REALLY believe she is ready to walk in order for it to be traumatizing enough. I don't think he believes she is there. He'd probably just laugh...

Yes, though my H is not full blown NPD so he wouldn't laugh, instead he would get very silent and would feel anxious, and then would slowly get angry as he was reminded of his abusive mother's behavior, and then I'd be on the receiving end of some really hurtful Transference.

I think more mapping into IDGAF territory is needed on her part.

Absolutely, I still have WAY too many fucks to give about it.

I can't be on the receiving end of any more hate sex from H. So I have us in separate beds for awhile just so I can get my bearings on this. He hasn't kissed me in I don't know how long-- weeks? Two months? It is really devastating me. I am getting truly desperate for some physical touch from a man who does not hate me.

Across the street from the TV-less apartment we're temporarily living in here in my NewCity where I've lived for all of 6 weeks and have no friends yet is a dive bar where I heard I can watch my Cubbies in the Series. Late the other night after all in my family were asleep I slipped out to check out this new-to-me bar and catch the end of the game. (Spoiler: not a happy ending for me.) I looked like shit and did not make eye contact with anyone, and was staring down at my phone during commercial breaks and when the game ended. I was hiding out in the back and did not order anything. While I was staring into my phone reading an email, a guy and his wingman approached and opened a really nice set on me. Great opening line if anyone wants it: "Are you wasting your life away on that phone?" I was really flattered. It was a notable interaction to me in that I have rarely ever been hit on without me making eye contact first-- and the first look I got of these guys was when they started talking to me. Maybe I don't look quite as terrible as I think I do. The universe may be trying to tell me something.
    SignorePillolaRossaCartB4Horse
    My 40th birthday is only a few weeks away and I don't know what to do to celebrate it. H refuses to plan anything and my parents confirmed he has not said anything to them about it. I'm not some Birthday princess type of person at all but Jesus, this birthday feels kind of big and scary to me. I feel really isolated and alone right now and wish I could be amongst friends, but they are all over the country.
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    I can't be on the receiving end of any more hate sex from H. So I have us in separate beds for awhile just so I can get my bearings on this. He hasn't kissed me in I don't know how long-- weeks? Two months? It is really devastating me. I am getting truly desperate for some physical touch from a man who does not hate me.

Across the street from the TV-less apartment we're temporarily living in here in my NewCity where I've lived for all of 6 weeks and have no friends yet is a dive bar where I heard I can watch my Cubbies in the Series. Late the other night after all in my family were asleep I slipped out to check out this new-to-me bar and catch the end of the game. (Spoiler: not a happy ending for me.) I looked like shit and did not make eye contact with anyone, and was staring down at my phone during commercial breaks and when the game ended. I was hiding out in the back and did not order anything. While I was staring into my phone reading an email, a guy and his wingman approached and opened a really nice set on me. Great opening line if anyone wants it: "Are you wasting your life away on that phone?" I was really flattered. It was a notable interaction to me in that I have rarely ever been hit on without me making eye contact first-- and the first look I got of these guys was when they started talking to me. Maybe I don't look quite as terrible as I think I do. The universe may be trying to tell me something.
    so i know a shot of positive energy is super addictive when you are in a depleted state

my advice to you is to live clear of these types of interactions so as to be able to feel 100% good about yourself as having scrupulously lived on the high road

sure, harmless flirting with old men at bus stops or at the bank is one thing ... being alone in a bar is just something i think you won't want on your side of the ledger in your quiet moments

be strong - channel that energy into your workouts and your MAP resolve

its gonna be better - but its gonna take time

virtual innocent internet stranger hugs - good luck
    Sr. PR

sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    edithkeelerCowboy
     ... being alone in a bar is just something i think you won't want on your side of the ledger in your quiet moments
    I get it now. Solved my problem of '"Without showing up to a bar alone, how do I watch the Series on Fox when I don't have a TV in my apartment, don't have any friends yet in NewCity who want to watch baseball with me, and the game runs past my kids' bedtime?" November baseball for my Cubbies is a rare, special thing for me.
    SignorePillolaRossa
    Trying not to freak out. H took the kids' passports sometime in the last few days. We keep them in a labeled folder. All except mine have been taken. He does not know that I know this.
    amblrgirl
    edited November 3
    Situation is now well under control-- called up my lawyer and got specific directions, then executed for the better part of the day, which included setting up an emergency meeting with the kids' school principal, together with my mom. Then called my amazing therapist to get some support.

I see multiple calls a day this week between him and Mr. F. That many phone calls during the day despite working together! Hello, EA. My parents and I are pretty sure F was behind the bright idea to snatch the passports. Have discussed corrective action options with my lawyer.

I'm getting stronger and stronger. Feels good.

A funny aside-- during one of H's most recent angry rants to me when we were alone he said "You always make me initiate sex. It's always up to you!" No shit, dude! Thought ya'll would appreciate that. And also "You abandoned me to watch 'Walking Dead' and 'Game of Thrones'!" Which, for the record, we would watch together in bed, and then always have sex after because: very high stim shows and all.

Gah! I am so resilient!!! I seriously feel like I can do anything.
    HildaCornersTwelveRubiesAngeline42andatowel