Triage, 13 years sexless marriage

Comments

• TimboTimbo Silver Member Posts: 33
    edited October 29
    @DaddyOh I think most people are in good sexually satisfying relationships, particularly the sort of people I know (doctors) because they are for the most part well rounded, intelligent and, until recently anyway, earned a decent income. The one I was talking to has a good sense of humour and is definitely very well off as were most doctors of his generation before our income and pension was slashed and workload increased. Other than that he is very similar to myself but probably made a better choice when he married.
    I used to have a co-dependant personality (with a narcisstic father, like mine, this often happens I understand), my wife used to be very borderline - I think that's why we got together. I've changed a lot, she is much further behind. I think that could be where our problems stem from. I spent hours talking about it in therapy - good theory and very interesting but practically of no help.

I agree with your other points thanks.
    HildaCorners
  • DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
    Are you sure you want to take Divorce off the table? 

At the very least, consider hardcore MAPing for a few years until your kids are in HS. Your wife has no incentive to change if you stay the current course. But if she feels uncomfortable then you might see a change. 
    "How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
    SignorePillolaRossaTenneeJellyBeanamblrgirl
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    I have a day of Awesomeness to Captain (see the attitude there?) so I'll be brief:  this is a marathon, not a sprint.  Patience Grasshopper, patience.
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    TimboedithkeelerScarlet
    edited October 29
    This strictly a hypothetical question. 

If you decided to serve your wife D papers and told her "I'm just not happy in this marriage". What would her reaction be? Would she finally jump your bones? Would she seek MC? Would her world become shattered?

The reason I'm asking, is to gauge whether you guys are on the same page. Does she know how important intimacy is to you?

Now, I'm not saying sit her down and give her an ultimatum. In fact you need to STFU. But from your triage; Great Father? Check. Job? Freaking MD. Healthy? Yup. 

You got quite a few things going for you. Is she just on cruise control?
    TenneeIrishGypsyCartB4Horse
  • IrishGypsyIrishGypsy UKSilver Member Posts: 407
    I fully appreciate the point about not divorcing and upsetting your kids over a lack of sex. Is there more to life than sex? Absolutely (say hello to becoming Me. Awesome).

But, if your wife had told you, before marriage, that it would no longer be happening after a certain point, would you STILL have married her?

Sex is the last thing on my MAP (not on my mind, my sex-drive is through the roof right now, but on my MAP). If, by the time I've got my shit in shape, my wife STILL isn't attracted enough to me to WANT to have sex with me more than twice a month, then, yes. I'd file for divorce. Even though I'd get fucked over in UK courts, I'd respect myself enough to find someone who wants to show me passion as my 'Love Language' is touch (like most guys here).

Invest in the video series and books. But, most importantly, invest the time in YOU.
    DaddyOhnubbyTimbofordsvt
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    It's not yet time to make the "divorce or never" decision.

You've read the MAP book, no? Right now you're beginning phase 1, and thinking about divorce is Phase 4 or 5. So it's fine to not worry about divorce yet.

As Fredless said, the Go Plan is the same as the Stay Plan. In both cases, you have to work on self improvement and Frame. Anything you do now that would help you get through a divorce would also help you make your marriage better.

Work on Frame. Work on the Reds on your MAP. If you get angry, lift heavy things / go for a run. Hard exercise is an excellent way to get rid of anger.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Timboamblrgirledithkeelerfordsvt
    Thanks again everyone!

@DaddyOh yes on paper I look good, not sure what went wrong, probably just too beta, but working on that. Definitely a few yellows to work on yet, and becoming more of a leader at home.
    Does she know how important intimacy is to you?
    Told her often enough in the past. I think I have proven that isn't going to make any difference so it's STFU time now.

I was wondering when you say 'Are you sure you want to take Divorce off the table? ' do you mean that when I get to phase 3 or 4 or whatever it is I should just fake it? I wouldn't divorce until the children were 18 if nothing changes, and threatening to leave her in 8 years time isn't much of a threat. I would never say never though.
    Anyway, hopefully it will work out before then, I'm only in phase 1 (or 2 I think) right now - as @HildaCorners says.

@IrishGypsy good luck with your marriage. Looks like you are doing a good job I hope I have your determination.
    and...
    Is there more to life than sex?
    Suppose so (I'm meant to say that aren't I?) I did used to enjoy it though and it makes life a lot more fun, it's relaxing and healthy, makes you feel good, makes you feel wanted, and brings you close to your partner. Other than that it's nothing special.

Back to being awesome. Taking over the menu this week, doing the shopping, cooking all the food to put in the fridge to be reheated when I'm at work. Organising a night away for us on my week off in a few weeks. Getting the children to behave (I've always been a pushover) my youngest didn't speak to me last night after I got hard on her for messing about. DHV - buying some new clothes. Got to fix the drain tomorrow. This is hard work and I have to keep it up for how long??

@DaddyOh forgot to answer this:
    If you decided to serve your wife D papers and told her "I'm just not happy in this marriage". What would her reaction be? Would she finally jump your bones? Would she seek MC? Would her world become shattered
    Haven't got a clue. I think she might just be very angry.
    edited October 29
    Thanks @nubby
    How does your day start off? How do you interact with your wife before and especially after work?
    Start of day I have to leave early whilst wife gets kids ready for school. Quick chat and kiss.
    End of day I give the kids a kiss (often they are in bed) then ask the wife how her day was and talk for a few minutes, try to listen and act interested. Usually a long list of complaints about how bad her day was! I usually don't talk about my day except just to say it was busy as usual, never complain too much otherwise she gets angry and starts blaming everyone else for me being late home, usually the patients for being selfish and unreasonable, and she tells me I need to 'sort it out'. I go home no later then the other docs.
    How are you with decisions at home? If your wife asks your opinion about something do you tell her what you actually think or what you think she wants to hear?
    Interesting one. I normally take the final decision on most things, she will usually ask my advice, tell me she doesn't agree, and then insist we do what I say even when I say I don't really care. I'm trying to be more assertive now and just make the decision and stick with it.
    Do you initiate often? Not only sex but conversation and cuddle time?
    Used to try every night (and day) - for about 10 years then I gave up. Since then hardly tried at all unless I thought I might have a chance. Not initiating at all right now or even mentionning sex as per MAP until I think it's time to start again. I am making it clear through my actions that I'm definitely interested though kissing her as passionately as I can and holding her close as I can as often as possible, a few jokes hinting at sex every now and then which get brushed off as me being 'naughty'. I initiate plenty of conversations and cuddles.
    How about date nights? Do you plan and execute them?
    Major disaster zone. With me working late (12-14hr days) and kids activities there is literally no night we can ever go out. Last time about 6 months ago it was a film and we had to rush back to collect the kids, she was stressed out and it was rubbish. Did have a very nice lunch out together a few months ago though.

Thinking about trying weights. Done a lot of changes in the last week or so, might be a bit much at the moment, but it's a thought.

Get the point about it being a long haul. Not expecting anything in return just yet.
  • HanneloreHannelore MidwestSilver Member Posts: 330
    What does your wife like to do to fill her time? I assume your kids are at school most of the day. Does she volunteer or is she productive in a hobby? Can she get more hours at work? I don't think she has to necessarily find her worth in paid employment, although many women do, but she needs to be doing something that brings her satisfaction. Especially if you will always be working 12-14 hour days. 

Her happiness isn't your responsibility, but if she'd like to find a job, or go back to school, or start a business or cultivate a serious hobby, then you both should be talking to each other about it.
    9w1/5w6 intp

amblrgirledithkeeler
    @Hannelore this is a big issue with her. I mentionned that I think she has a borderline personality, when we do talk she often tells me that she 'doesn't know who she is' (a psychiatrist I used to work for told me this is the biggest clue to a BPD, but she has lots of other features), so things are complicated with her. She is a qualified nurse, and a qualified homeopath, and is a good organiser and I have told her she can do what she wants, there is no need for her to bring in any more money. She could work from home.
    Practically of course she does have to look after the children when I am at work.

She spends her time looking after the house, shopping, lunch/coffee with friends. She says she can't cope and never has time for anything. Admittedly the children do far too many clubs so apart from school time she is very busy and when she has been unwell and I have had to do it all on my days off work it is tough.

She does help fend off my parents and is good with them as they are very demanding and I really appreciate that. She also has a depressed very dependant, unreasonable and demanding mother. So there are family pressures on her which I understand.

I do my best to help. Do the kids running about when I can, I always cook on my days off and help with housework. I organise finances. She does have a reasonable amount of free time in my opinion.

Bottom line is life is tough and her happiness isn't my responsibility. I think she quite comfortable being unhappy and a martyr, changing that would mean she would have to face up to her part in it and that it is not everyone else's fault (BPD again). She used to blame me a lot for her unhappiness I have tried hard over the last few years to handle that better and be firm with her and more self conficent, and there is a slow change, she doesn't blame me directly half as much as she used to.

amblrgirl
    "Bottom line is life is tough and her happiness isn't my responsibility."

Her life is tough?

Really? After reading how much you provide (and do) I'm ready to drop the "first world problems" on her. 

She might need a purpose in life. She has to have a reason to get up in the morning (besides the kids). 

Keep MAPing my friend and agree ^^ an hour call would be beneficial 
    TimboAngelineCallmeCatCrashaxe
    edited October 30
    @Crashaxe and @DaddyOhyes I'm thinking an hour with Athol might be helpful.

Trying not to blame my wife. It took 2 of us to get into this situation, I have at least enabled it if, and I can't make her change. I'm not in the slightest bit religious but I can see this as a test that I will come out of spiritually much stronger. (Luckily I believe in the Buddhist view of multiple incarnations, that each life has a purpose - probably learning to stand up for myself - and all things balancing out between lives so my next life I will probably get plenty of hot kinky sex to make up for this one, or maybe not - you might think it's all rubbish and delusional but it helps me feel better, plus death doesn't frighten me in the slightest B) )
    And 'What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger' or something like that!

Been reading the success stories on here. Really motivational and informative.
    edithkeeler
  • LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
    edited October 30

I would say the first order of business should be for you to put together a offical map and post  it to get feedback.  Then come up with your 3 monkeys.   right now we have no idea what changes your currently making so we don't know how to help you.

we are trying to diagnose a desease  but we cant see the patient.  

edited October 30
    @Lothbrok true, not posted my MAP, here goes (is this the right place to post it?):

Health
    Red - too much sugar
    Yellow - small social circle, no close friends
    Green - good health, fit
    Green - good diet

Money and materials
    Partial Red - take a while to fix things around the house, often have to be reminded
    Yellow - my office is untidy and cluttered
    Green - have good savings for 'emergency money'
    Green - enjoy my work

Displaying high value
    Red - displaying low value by having not bought any new clothes for >5 years
    Yellow - need to improve maintaining frame
    Green(ish) - getting much better at being playfully dominant

Relationship comfort
    No Reds here that I can see
    Yellow - need to find out what my wife really wants
    Yellow - fitness and loyalty tests, I'm actually not noticing any of these yet, need to watch out
    Green - I always say thank you for anything I appreciate
    Green - good integrity
    Green - putting my wife first (I hope she would agree)
    Green - assume positive intentions - I always do until proven otherwise

Personality
    Red - nerfing my personality, not 100% sure about this, but possibly true
    I used to have a lot of hobbies and interests, most of them used to take me out of the house for a whole day which is not possible any more. I would be exhausted doing them now on top of my work hours. I'm looking into other interests I want to attend some courses and will probably do this in the next year.
    Yellow - start paying yourself first, I never spend money on myself except for essentials

High energy sex
    Not having any sex so most of this doesn't apply (I used to be very adventurous indeed and would have had a clean sheet here in the old days)
    Green - committed
    Green - play all day - I do try

My current 3 monkeys:
    1) Trying to be more playfully dominant, regularly approaching my wife for a kiss and/or cuddle and making it playful. This is fun and I really enjoy it. If I'm not getting sex then at least I can demand a bit of kissing and cuddling when I feel like it.
    2) Get things fixed
    3) Taking command of the house

extra monkey - buying some more clothes!
  • amblrgirlamblrgirl ATXSilver Member Posts: 1,328
    Timbo said:

Trying not to blame my wife. It took 2 of us to get into this situation, I have at least enabled it if, and I can't make her change. 
    I'm impressed with your assertion here. Some of us take a long time just to grasp that point. That you are starting with that understanding puts you in a great position for a successful and focused MAP.

Your wife definitely has some issues to tackle, but you're correct that you'll have to change you before you can motivate/lead her to change. She may need your help on a few things, though (i.e. your "demanding" parents, mental health care, etc.)

Regarding divorce - It's fine if you currently feel it's off the table (but your wife doesn't need to know that). I felt that way when I started here. Sometimes (as in my case), that changes as you MAP. Just be aware that your views may shift as you become more awesome, and allow room for that.

I look forward to reading along as you MAP! :)

amblrgirltx@gmail.com
    Fitocracy: atxchick

Enneagram 6w5, married to a 5
    AngelineHildaCornersedithkeeler
  • RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    Definitely social programming I think all her friends have the same idea, but I was wondering if it is more of Hamster thinking (is that the correct term?) in that it is just her concious reasoning as to why her libido is so non-existent, but in fact it is just that I no longer trigger her 'wanting to make a baby' instinct
    You say you're a family doctor, but she thinks she has a better idea of what's normal sexuality?

At the "unconscious" level, or call it lizard brain if you will, every human's reason for wanting sex is "baby making". This is not special to her, this is universal. And that lizard brain knows nothing of IVF. Plenty of women still want sex after the menopause, when (at the conscious level) they know they can't have children. You are correct, above: her statement that "it's not normal" is just a rationalisation.  What you "no longer trigger" is her "I have to keep this male with me" instinct. 

Timbo said:

I used to have a co-dependant personality (with a narcisstic father, like mine, this often happens I understand), my wife used to be very borderline - I think that's why we got together. 
    Once a codependent, always a codependent. I am suspicious of your claim that you used to be, especially since you say therapy didn't help you much. Perhaps you have learned to manage it better? 

And you say she has borderline tendencies? That, to me, is primarily a disorder of emotional dysregulation - tendencies to angry outbursts and huge fear of abandonment. 

I think I'm hitting a wall on this already. How do you cope with the ANGER?? I work stupid hours to keep my family, I'm working hard at home to go from good husband to excellent husband - I'm getting a few more smiles a few more cuddles, last night my wife was asleep before I even got into bed. There is absolutely no passion, absolutely nothing sexual in our relationship. I want some reward for all the hard work I put into life and my family but I get nothing, forced celibacy and pretending it's normal is slowly killing me.
    Well, I guess it's good that you're aware of the anger. 

That "working hard to be an excellent husband" is what still sounds codep to me. 

You, somehow, have to not think of sex as a "reward" for all the hard work. It's what we call a "covert contract". You are ANGRY because you've done your half of the (imaginary) contract and she seems unaware of what she's supposed to deliver. Unfortunately you have to drop that way of thinking. 

Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    SharkGuyIrishGypsyAngelineedithkeeler