Triage, 13 years sexless marriage

Comments

• TimboTimbo Silver Member Posts: 33
    @amblrgirlthanks for the comments. It's a work in progress. My parents are a big issues that I have struggled with for years. Too complex but I'm working on it.
    And with regard to divorce I got very close earlier this year but realised I couldn't put that burden onto my children; their happiness comes before mine.

@Reborn good point about the IVF vs menopause, hadn't looked at it that way.
    Once a codependent, always a codependent. I am suspicious of your claim that you used to be, especially since you say therapy didn't help you much. Perhaps you have learned to manage it better?
    I will be honest that I'm no expert on co-dependancy, but I don't feel that I'm that way any more. Didn't even talk about it in therapy. I am nothing like I used to be at age 19 when I was jealous, nervous about my girlfriend being away from me, scared she might leave me, total co-dependancy. Not a jealous thought in my head now, love having time to myself, in fact I prefer to be on my own in general and used to fantasise about my wife leaving me!
    When I say my wife is BPD I can't diagnose her, she just has a lot of the traits, but sometimes it's evident, other times she is quite normal. In terms of MAPing it's not important anyway.
     "working hard to be an excellent husband" I know what you mean - perhaps I meant "to become a better person so that I am an excellent husband".
    You, somehow, have to not think of sex as a "reward" for all the hard work. It's what we call a "covert contract". You are ANGRY because you've done your half of the (imaginary) contract and she seems unaware of what she's supposed to deliver. Unfortunately you have to drop that way of thinking.
    I have dropped it. I had a sudden uncontrollable feeling of anger, and you are absolutely right. As I mentionned I have studied Buddhism and have been trying to fully get my head around the concept of 'non-attachment'. This whole MAP is an application of that principle, together with that of 'impermance',  two of what I think the absolute cornerstones of Buddhism and mindfulness practice. Anger is certainly a strong negative emotion and indicates a high degree of attachment to the problem. Losing that attachment gives you a freedom from allowing it to influence you, then you can manage it from a much more balanced and logical standpoint, which is exactly what Athol is teaching I think.
    That doesn't mean that I don't want my rewards or that I don't deserve them. I'm not expecting anything at the moment though, that comes in later phases, I will be very grateful if it doesn't get to that point.

edited October 30
    Double post - deleted
    edited October 31
    So, I tried to intiate last night. No go - too tired, headache and period just about to start. Didn't push too hard but knew it was going nowhere when she came up with all the excuses and pretended to fall asleep as I tried to kiss her. I remained very unbothered about the outcome and just rolled over and went to sleep myself.
    Two questions. Should I push harder? Should I be trying at all in phase 1/2?

I told my wife I was taking her out. We looked that diary and couldn't find a single night between now and Christmas to go out. My wife then announced she is taking me out to my favourite sushi restaurant for lunch in my week off. So much for being more alpha and taking charge, she just took over. Was this some sort of test? and could I have handled it better?

Similarly with putting the kids to bed. I took charge of that a few nights ago, last night she beat me to it and put them to bed before I got a chance. I don't think this is going to be easy. Any advice?
  • markymapomarkymapo Silver Member Posts: 542
    "So, I tried to intiate last night. No go - too tired, headache and period just about to start. Didn't push too hard but knew it was going nowhere when she came up with all the excuses and pretended to fall asleep as I tried to kiss her. I remained very unbothered about the outcome and just rolled over and went to sleep myself.
    Two questions. Should I push harder? Should I be trying at all in phase 1/2?"

First thing to remember about pushing harder is don't push when she is "red". If you feel the excuses coming on, and she's pretending to sleep then a good OI would be a slight tap on butt and a comment like "Ok, your loss. I'm going to go lift some weights before bed."

I really think you should get some kind of weight set, if you don't have one already and designate a room to lift. Mine is in my finished basement in front of a tv. 

As you show better OI and get your SR higher her attraction will/should start to show. I think it's attraction that's holding her back. 

As for your SR, is that number your view or your wife's view. Obviously you can't ask her what your number is. 

But your view of HER sex rank does matter. You put her at 5/6 if I read that correct. A wife that refuses sex a lot or only drip feeds knocks her number down a bit. Along with her weighing more than you, either tells me she's more than a little overweight or you are too skinny. 

You state shes overweight and never exercised. If she sees a change in your body with adding muscle more likely than not she may see this as a wake up sign for her to start losing weight. 

When you start at phase 1 and start moving correctly through those phases, it should all start to fall into place.
    And we say here, if you comes along that's great if not then you'll be in a better state of mind physically and mentally to find a woman who will fall for a fit, confident guy who's has a great job. Can you imagine going out to a social place with single hot woman hearing/seeing you talk about being a doctor. 

Lastly, not to scare you or derail your MAP but are you 100% sure there is no affair going on?  With your past bisexual trist, that would/could give her a reason in her mind to at least go there. 
    I'm not at all saying she is, I do think it's attraction based problem in your marriage but just be mindful of it. 
  • edithkeeleredithkeeler DixielandSilver Member Posts: 40
    edited October 31
    Sorry that so many other online fora have told you your marriage has no chance. I, for one, think they are all wrong because it is actually up to you, and am glad you found this place!

Your wife has 1) "borderline personality tendencies" that you have actually told her about (wow--how did that convo go? Did she feel labeled or did she feel it was good feedback, or what?)

2) Bad menstrual periods, (she's at the early 40s age where it may be IUD time or uterine ablation time. My Mirena IUD eliminated my period entirely and let's just say we are all pretty thrilled about that at my house.)

3) Insomnia, and

4) "Recurrent viral infections" (by that do you mean an STD such as herpes or what?).

These are all huge HUGE medical issues that are cockblocking you guys, big time. Luckily, as you are a doctor you have the experience and professional connections to Captain really well in these areas. Though I also get the clear sense that you think she might be malingering a bit, too? Especially at bedtime?

You say you've done counseling? Was this in the U.K.? Have you tried talking with a US-based counselor, where there is much more of a "go to therapy" culture?

I'm troubled by that two-year period early in your marriage years ago where she "banned" you from ever talking about that one time you guys had threesome during which you had some gay sex with another guy in front of her and also with her. I read this as a Critical Moment of Neglect on her part. I mean, my god. That must have been incredibly hurtful to you: a subject so fraught for her she couldn't even discuss it! How painful for you.

You have nothing to feel ashamed about. You've been above board about your bisexuality since day one with her, and you have admirably gotten her prior consent before you had sex with men a few years back. Still. Let's also try to see this from the other side. I can see why these incidents are still these huge unresolved roadblocks to intimacy between you, can you see that? It's like a secret room in the proverbial house of your marriage where neither of you can go and nobody can talk about it-- but what's lurking in that room can leak out and create infestations in other rooms of the house, too, if unaddressed for too long. Such as the bedroom.

You think you're too Beta but you might also need better/more nuanced Beta and better/tighter framed Alpha combined here. In the specific context of anyone ever consentually stepping out on the marriage physically, it's going to be crucial to up the Relationship Comfort around physical touch/Tenderness and hugs and hand holding-- all of that good relationship glue kind of stuff-- letting touch say 'I love you' and 'I want to be close with you' with more physical togetherness. Baby steps! You have a long road but you have every reason to be optimistic.
    Be awesome & stay positive!
    Howard
    I really appreciate all this advice, thanks again everyone, but I'm getting abit confused to be honest. I think a chat with Athol might be in order.

Walked into world war 3 at home tonight wife screaming at the children. Have to say I lost it a bit after a very tiring day at work, I just don't think she needs to shout and get so angry whatever the problem, although it might have been justified God knows, and we're just starting to talk again now. Not sure I played that well. I think I started out well with this MAPing business but trying to stay more alpha is just not me and I'm ending up just being more beta.

@markymapo I almost wish there was an affair then I could get out of the marriage looking good, but i really don't think she is having an affair.

@edithkeeler thanks for being so nice. I haven't, and never would tell her that I think she has borderline traits.
    I think she has pychosomatic symptoms by the way. Recurrent viral infections are just bad colds, not STDs.
    Thanks for your comments about the sexuality issues. Not sure what to think really I wish we could clear the air on that.
    You think you're too Beta but you might also need better/more nuanced Beta and better/tighter framed Alpha combined here. In the specific context of anyone ever consentually stepping out on the marriage physically, it's going to be crucial to up the Relationship Comfort around physical touch/Tenderness and hugs and hand holding-- all of that good relationship glue kind of stuff-- letting touch say 'I love you' and 'I want to be close with you' with more physical togetherness. Baby steps! You have a long road but you have every reason to be optimistic.
    I think you are very correct on this. I'm not sure I really understand how to be alpha or even do the beta bit properly yet. I think I have messed up my first attempts and it's time to study the books again and improve my game.

@Beatrice you are also very correct
    Don't underestimate the effect your absence has had on your marriage and family life. You are going to have to compensate for that.
    I hate it too. I'm so exhausted from work I can't think but we need the money. My wife also hates me being at work. I wonder if this is the biggest elephant in the room.
    How am I supposed to take control of home life when I'm not there? I'm confused about this. It does feel wrong that I should waltz in late at night and expect to take over as Captain of the ship just as it enters the harbour, it just looks like someone on an ego trip.
    I don't think this is testing.  Is there a reason you couldn't have come up with a lunch idea?  You have a week off and couldn't find any time to spend together?  I see this as your wife responding favorably.  She found the time that you didn't. Next time, you suggest lunch first.  Obviously if she waits for you there will be no sushi. Get on it. Show up.
    We were talking about a date to go away when she said 'it's not going to work out, I know lets go out for lunch, I will take you for sushi instead'. Actually I'm sure she was just being practical and nice, just that it didn't exactly give me any opportunity to organise anything. I did actually suggest a lunch date last time we did it, I wasn't MAPing then. Maybe I could suggest making it a regular thing.

I'm confused...

• HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Definitely have a date "thing" on a regular basis, even if it's just breakfast at a diner.

The important things are to do it regularly, no work talk, no talk about problems. And just like on a date, the focus is on each other, not phones, books or whatever. [One of my 127 former husbands would take me to a bookstore/cafe for a "date" ... then wander away and get lost reading until I dragged him out of there. I was not amused.]

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Timbo
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Whether it's more about your wife or not, you are the one who's here and willing to work.

So ... work on yourself rather than on your marriage. The effects will be similar; the Stay Plan is the same as the Go Plan. There's always the chance that, as you improve, your wife will realize she'd better change herself or you'll be gone.

Work with Jen to schedule that call. She knows some creative ways to get you some privacy. I've heard that some people call from their car in the driveway.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    42andatoweljon
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    Have a phone or tablet or iPad with wifi? Download Skype. Do the call from your office.
    DaddyOhforestleafUnder_Construction
  • Jen_KayJen_Kay Posts: 374
    Timbo said:

Question Eight - Elephant in The Room

First thing: I’m bisexual. She was very excited about it when we first met, in fact she found out I was bisexual when she suggested a threesome with another man a few months after we met and I said ‘yes please!!!’, and she loved it. There has never been any secret about my sexuality (with her or any of my previous girlfriends). She banned me from talking about it ever again about 2 years into our relationship. About 10 years ago I did mention it again and she allowed me to meet a few men for sex (I wasn’t getting it at home), I haven’t had sex with another man for about 8-9 years now and don’t discuss it any more. She has told me that what happened 10 years ago was just her trying to keep me happy but she hated it, I didn’t know at the time. I’m reasonably ok ignoring that side of my sexuality, and at the moment I do, although I feel that it is a significant part of myself I am having to keep hidden away for no good reason (ie it wasn’t part of the deal when we met).

My guess is that she suddenly realized (as many people do when they have threesome or swinging experiences) that she was inviting someone into the marriage that could take her place if you decided that person was hotter/more interesting/smarter/more whatever than she was.  

Whether you are bisexual or straight doesn't matter. If your wife suddenly woke up to the fact that she was sanctioning sex outside of the marriage and became hugely uncomfortable with that, it is a changing of the rules that you have to figure out how to deal with. Most marriages are by definition monogamous, so she may feel that she's not out of line changing the rules you thought you'd agreed to. (Did what you said in your wedding vows match the agreement you had on the side? That's a conflict for you both to resolve right there.) I'm betting this was a huge critical moment for both of you in different ways.

And as I'm sure you figured out, going outside of your marriage for sex, even with your wife's consent, is not a way to fix the lack of sex you're experiencing with your wife. I'm glad you're here to figure out how to fix it in other ways.
    ScarletAngelineMrsJon
    edited November 2
    @Jen_Kay I agree with your assessment. I'm not 100% sure how important this is in the overall picture however.
    My wife was excessively jealous at the start of our relationship to a frightening extent and cut off all my female friends. She doesn't show much jealousy any more - which could mean (almost certainly does) that she rates me much lower now, she has neutered me so to speak.
    I know this is about me, not her, but in my book she definitely changed the rules. No more sex for me, but I'm still monogamous with her, so my sex life ended on her command 13 years ago. She still gets all the benefits of good house, cash to spend, comfy life and my time and affection. That also was not what I signed up for in marriage, covert, overt or anything else; her cheating on me would be exactly the same. Old story, bit boring, and complaining doesn't help I know, apologies.

I think I need to find my old self if she starts to get jealous again I will know I'm getting somewhere!

Looking forward to see what Athol has to say, thanks for you help trying to fix an appointment with him - going to take a look at that now.

Jen_KayAngeline
    @DaddyOh
    Does that mean she's aware of the problem?
    No, she has her head buried in a good depth of sand.

Hasn't hit me for quite a few years now.
  • HowardHoward EuropeSilver Member Posts: 618
    edited November 2
    An honest and very intelligently written triage. MAP will be the best thing for you and things will get better for sure, but it can and probably will take a long time, so you have to commit to the journey and be prepared for what will sometimes seem like stagnation.

I can relate to your situation, having myself had a long sexless marriage and also some bisexuality.

I do think it's possible to be bisexual and generally happily monogamous in a heterosexual marriage. Doubts come and go, they are part of the human condition. You might think you are compromsing your sexuality, but everything we do usually has to be negotiated or is a result of finding common ground with others. It's all about how you express yourself and there are so many dimensions of giving and receiving, sexually and otherwise.

Be aware that actually introducing other people than your partner into your sex life-regardless of whether they are male or female- carries huge risks and is potentially destructive. Please, please, do not make your theme of bisexuality into your wife's problem. It is your personal responsibilty to figure it out over time as an individual and as a man with a family.

I suspect that joy is missing in your life and this is what we call a huge "Red" (negative factor). Your honest assessment that you have "no friends" indicates this. It's fine to like being alone, but human beings need connection.

Humans are attracted to other healthy humans, sexually too, and this is true in a marriage as well. Your body can be healthy while your soul is ailing. No joy= no libido.

Could you consider joining a choir, or a voluntary organisation? As a doctor of course you could have a lot to give- though i would be cautious of taking on more of the same work you already do (only for free). You possibly need some space for yourself, a hobby, something which could perhaps at some point become a passion. Or you need some risk, something which makes you feel alive....(my flavour of choice is whitewater kayaking and motorcycling).  

Put aside your wife's insistence that married people don't have sex, avoid that discussion. You can't argue or convince her to sleep with you, these are all things we are completely irrational about.

Once you add happiness into your life, you'll find your wife will over time relax and start to seek you out. Believe me. But you will be doing it for yourself and the world, and not just to get laid.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
    "Do more of what you love."
    42andatowel
    edited November 2
    @Howardvery interesting comment thank you. I agree that sexuality is not an issue - there are always others outside the marriage that are a temptation whatever sex they may be. Everyone is the same.
    I like your thoughts about finding some excitement in life. My life is far from boring I have gone through some major personal changes in the last few years, but I was thinking hard about how much I have changed (nerfed I believe is the term here) and I would like to be more like my old self - I used to love a good party, and used to spend all my spare time volunteering and loved that as well.

Happiness is an interesting concept. I would say that if I had more sex I would be happy, I couldn't ask for more in life really, but that's probably not the right way of looking at it - perhaps if I was truly happy I would be having more sex. Happiness is within us all. Unhappiness is caused by ego, and overcoming that is the key to happiness, in fact true enlightenment leads to ecstatic states of being - longing for it is an ego state which by definition means that you cannot access true happiness - which comes right back to what Athol teaches. Still working out exactly how to apply that to my marriage however....
    DaddyOh42andatowelHoward
    edited November 4
    Phonecall with Athol organised for next week.

How do I cope with my wife's physical illnesses? She had 1 week of sore throat, then her period for a week, I forget what was wrong before the sore throat, headaches I think. The period has just finished and she has announced this morning that she feels awful and is coming down with a cold; there will be something else after that. There's always something wrong that means she (a) doesn't feel like sex (b) needs to get to sleep so she can get better (not that I even ask for sex any more).

It's a great little move because I can't deny she's unwell, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it except give her lots of sympathy, but it conveniently rules out anything physical between us. It's just that she is always unwell.