Parents of older kids - finding the time

Comments

• SharkGuySharkGuy UKSilver Member Posts: 31
    Scarlet said:
    What's the deal with your schedule?  Why so early?
    It's the only time I can go to the gym. I've tried many times to find alternatives but it never works with any consistency
    Have you investigated power rack plus Barbell for home?
    Set you back about £500. Save you on commute time without costing you workout time.
    Adam_SSignorePillolaRossaCrashaxe
  • Adam_SAdam_S Queenslander!Silver Member Posts: 1,893
    SharkGuy said:

Have you investigated power rack plus Barbell for home?
    Set you back about £500. Save you on commute time without costing you workout time.
    You can always find shit loads of cheap weights stuff on Gumtree and the like too.

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

Crashaxe
  • BeatriceBeatrice USAGold Women Posts: 1,175
    Scarlet said:
    I'm totally sympathetic to that.  I wonder, however, if part of the overall problem is that your wife does not feel connected to you.  
    If so then what? It isn't like she's faking sleep to avoid sex. 
    Then she won't have sex with you unless all external conditions are just so. 
    We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.  -Joseph Campbell
    SignorePillolaRossaCrashaxe
  • DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
    edited November 2
    I'll preface by saying I don't have a wife and kids. But couple things I learned from this thread.

A. Buy a house with bedrooms on the oppose end of the house. 

B. Don't make parents lovemaking a taboo to the kids.
    "How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
    Crashaxe
  • HowlAtTheMoonHowlAtTheMoon Silver Member Posts: 1,183
    We do a policy like Serenity. Everyone in their rooms at 7pm. For toddlers, they go to sleep, older kids can do whatever so long as they only leave their bedroom for toilet breaks. You can make a similar policy for whatever time works with your family schedule. 
    We crunch dinner, sex/couple time, and an hour of unwind time all between 7 & 9 so we can go to bed at 9:30. The schedule often gets derailed, but the goal helps us make the routine with kids more efficient.  Our evening adult time is sacred.
    obviously, the routine is thrown off on nights there are home games, concerts, swimming lessons, etc.
    DaddyOhAngelineMrsJonCrashaxe
  • HappyTrailHappyTrail MidWestSilver Member Posts: 453
    edited November 2

@HildaCorners Right now that's looking like the most probably possibility, presuming I can work around the hurdle of getting her to be able to get up an hour early and not need to go to bed at 8 instead of 9.

@tulip Wow, that raises a zillion questions in my mind as to how you pull that off. I've never had sex 7 days in a row ever let alone having the time to do that consistently. Good for you! Our house is 2100SF (4200 if you include the basement). Bedrooms all on one end, laundry on the opposite end. How do you have so much free time between supper and bedtime? No chores, laundry, yardwork, PTA meetings, soccer practices, dance lessons, exercise, yada yada yada?

@Sharkguy I need classes, a treadmill, and gym rats to keep me accountable. The gym is 8min away. Showers, towels, hot tub/pool, coffee, etc all included. My rate is super low because my wife is on the payroll. I probably make money on it by not using my own hot water and coffee everyday let alone investing in equipment. Its also my primary social outlet since I work alone from home. Lastly, working out while trying to be silent (everyone is asleep) doesn't really work.

@Adam_S That does sound nice! Its a pretty lofty goal but its something to shoot for. We are just a very busy family. There is always something going on or more tasks to get done. Its not just me, its all of us. I can count on a couple of fingers how many times I've taken a nap in the last decade and its only been while I'm sick. We talk about how to slow down all the time. Even learning to say no and paring down to what seems like the minimum, we're still that busy. I just don't know how to get to a place like that and not have other things suffer along the way.

Take today as an example. I'm up at 5, go to gym, home by 7 to take kids to bus stop, go to work till 5, warm up dinner for whoever is home. She's up at 6, makes sure kids are up, starts making tonight's supper so it can be reheated in waves later. She goes to work 8:30-10:30, gets some groceries, comes home and does some overdue housework, her and son go the physical therapy. She teaches classes again late-afternoon till 8pm, drives home and showers. I have a scheduled event to attend with my parents from 6:30 till about 8:30. In the meantime my oldest son carts younger brother somewhere he needs to be along with all them doing homework and chores. By the time we all meet up its after 8:30, we try to spend a few minutes catching up with the kids, then wife is a zombie. While each day does vary some, its a pretty good representation and there really isn't anything abnormal in here we can omit. It seems to still boil down to her need for 8.5-9 hours sleep being the leading factor in all this.

@Beatrice Yeah, I get that. And I've come a long ways on it. I feel ready to state expectations and put the ball in her court. Her external perfection needs are just not acceptable. I can't take her on overnight trips 2-3 times a week, yet this is when she responds and will have sex.

For starters it seems like the best options are for one early morning or daytime (a day she has less classes to teach which I could schedule around) and one weekend romp. I know there will be push back and every excuse given. I need to be prepared to not only respond appropriately but also state expectations and demand change of the status quo. It's been 10 days since our little trip - no sex, momentum lost. She's been sick the past 4 days (fever, sore throat, runny nose). When she starts feeling better and is more apt to respond I will push forward.

SharkGuyAngelamissesnesbit
  • HowardHoward EuropeSilver Member Posts: 618
    edited November 2
    I know everyone has their own flavor of sexuality, but for me sex without any kissing would feel odd in the long run.

Going back to my previous question: how / where do you & wife find/create intimacy, closeness? Do you consider yourself & your wife to be affectionate? Is that expressed in physical (non-sexual) closeness, like snuggling together in bed, holding hands when walking and so on ?

Maybe this is not about sleep or the kids....maybe you can pull right back and find a "long lens" to look at yourself and your marriage. Sex or the lack of it is just one expression of whatever has been created over time.

Oh and regarding the gym: a lot of hormone-wise fitness gurus (Chris Walker, Ali Kuoppala for instance) don't recommend working out more than 2-3 times a week. Walking, short sprints or some bodyweight exercises are fine to do daily though and take only 20-30 minutes.

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
    "Do more of what you love."
    Howard said:
    I know everyone has their own flavor of sexuality, but for me sex without any kissing would feel odd in the long run. I'd like it too, but she hates it and therefore isn't even good at it. Just something I live with. Doesn't really bother me much, I'd rather use my mouth in other places anyways!

Going back to my previous question: how / where do you & wife find/create intimacy, closeness? Do you consider yourself & your wife to be affectionate? Is that expressed in physical (non-sexual) closeness, like snuggling together in bed, holding hands when walking and so on ? It has improved a lot. little touches, impromptu hugs, hand holding, hand on leg, etc.

Maybe this is not about sleep or the kids....maybe you can pull right back and find a "long lens" to look at yourself and your marriage. Sex or the lack of it is just one expression of whatever has been created over time.

Oh and regarding the gym: a lot of hormone-wise fitness gurus (Chris Walker, Ali Kuoppala for instance) don't recommend working out more than 2-3 times a week. Walking, short sprints or some bodyweight exercises are fine to do daily though and take only 20-30 minutes. Its 2-3 times of the same kind of training, spaced out. 2 workouts per week are woefully inadequate for a healthy lifestyle, let alone to reach any goals of doing a race or whatever. I'm pretty knowledgeable on this and my wife is a certified fitness instructor. I do 1 big workout, 1 yoga, and 3 running/cycle training per week (with a few weights too). 20-30 min PLUS proper warmup and cool-down/stretching, changing clothes/shower/commute. It's easily and hour+ if you count it all which is why I cant do it during the workday or very many evenings. We do regular little walks/hikes/bike rides that I don't even count. I get between 10,000 and 17,000 steps per day all while working an office job.

• 42andatowel42andatowel United StatesSilver Member Posts: 325

Take today as an example. I'm up at 5, go to gym, home by 7 to take kids to bus stop, go to work till 5, warm up dinner for whoever is home. She's up at 6, makes sure kids are up, starts making tonight's supper so it can be reheated in waves later. She goes to work 8:30-10:30, gets some groceries, comes home and does some overdue housework, her and son go the physical therapy. She teaches classes again late-afternoon till 8pm, drives home and showers. I have a scheduled event to attend with my parents from 6:30 till about 8:30. In the meantime my oldest son carts younger brother somewhere he needs to be along with all them doing homework and chores. By the time we all meet up its after 8:30, we try to spend a few minutes catching up with the kids, then wife is a zombie. While each day does vary some, its a pretty good representation and there really isn't anything abnormal in here we can omit. It seems to still boil down to her need for 8.5-9 hours sleep being the leading factor in all this.

I don't have any easy answers for you, but I think your schedule is your number one issue here.  Just looking at that I can see why, even with a bunch of drive-by's, sex isn't on her mind.  I just don't see where there is any time for her to have any fun in her day.

If I recall she was identified as being high-stim, and I see nothing high-stim in her typical day.  Your weekend/overnights don't just get her out of the house/away from the kids, but they also significantly change your schedule and your wife finally has time to unwind, not just move from to-do item to to-do item ad nauseam. 

What does lunch look like for you?  Do you have lunch together?  A quick bite and back to work?  Can you work a decent lunch date into the schedule 2-3 times a week?
    Crashaxe
    42andatowel said

If I recall she was identified as being high-stim, and I see nothing high-stim in her typical day.  Your weekend/overnights don't just get her out of the house/away from the kids, but they also significantly change your schedule and your wife finally has time to unwind, not just move from to-do item to to-do item ad nauseam. 

What does lunch look like for you?  Do you have lunch together?  A quick bite and back to work?  Can you work a decent lunch date into the schedule 2-3 times a week?

And she only works part-time, many (most?) women work full time jobs. 2-3 days a week she does get a couple free hours during the day. She'll read, take a nap, take a walk with a friend, catch up on emails, etc. She also occasionally switches classes to get a day off and go on a shopping trip with her mom. For the whole summer she only has a couple classes - she's essentially free for 3 months. We go somewhere/do something most Fri nights and at least 1 family fun thing on the weekend. Her job is also part of her stim. She likes doing it and most of her friend network is there. They talk, laugh, celebrate each others birthdays, etc. In the big scheme of things she has it pretty good. (A whole lot more unwind time than me).

Quick bite and back to work. My schedule is irregular. Going out is difficult as her diet is complicated given her medical issue. Our son who does online school always eats with her/us. Once in a while we do sneak in a lunch or an afternoon walk but generally we're coming/going throughout the day.

• HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I got too tired reading through your schedule to study it (!), but it's important that teens take more and more responsibility for themselves ... we call it "adulting".

Can they get themselves up, or do so with a minimum of parent involvement?
    Can they get themselves to school without your help?
    Do they need homework supervision?
    How about transport to activities? Do you and your wife run a taxi service?

I just have one just turned 16. I let him know when to get out of bed (verbal only), we leave the house at the same time in opposite directions, I ask once per day if he has homework, no more. One of his activities is a 20 minute drive away, but I enjoy hanging out at that one (interesting other people to talk to, plus live music); his other is walking distance.

He does some cooking and daily chores; we're both working on getting him to do more.

I don't have a partner right now, but could find plenty of time to squeeze in daily sex.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH

@tulip Let me give you my wifes contact info.......Sounds like I'm reading a dream. I didn't know the life you describe is actually possible. Really. You got it going on! Btw, quickies are not her thing. Her brand is long slow work up. 30-45min minimum, usually an hour per session.

@HowlAtTheMoon Yes, at least 2-3 days she does (varies). Fitness classes need to be held at the times of day the members need them. And its not possible to do 3,4,5 classes in a row - hard enough doing 2.

@HildaCorners We do all of that. Kids help with all sorts of chores. They are mostly self sufficient with just a little guiding to stay on course (mostly the youngest one). They each take turns with dishes, vacuuming, put away their own laundry, get themselves ready, etc. We do have a fair amount of taxi servicing for the younger two, especially during soccer season. Living in the country with no teammates on our side of town, that's just the way it is. Grandma helps sometimes.

HildaCorners
  • CartB4HorseCartB4Horse Southwest USASilver Member Posts: 4,155
    Something I've been told before is to shut our bedroom door at night.  I've been pondering this thread and just now remembered that piece of advice.  Something so simple...

I need to implement that at home, shut the door every night.  Easy to lock said door if sexy time is happening, and our kids would knock before entering anyways.

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

• 42andatowel42andatowel United StatesSilver Member Posts: 325

I'll give you a couple of schedule examples of how it works for me and a friend of mine:

My wife is a stay at home mom.  This was our schedule until my Son went off to college:

I get up 6:30-7:00 AM, out the door by 7:25 AM
    Wife is up by 9:00 AM, helps kids with school (they do on-line school) if they need it, takes care of tasks around the house, etc.
    Most night's I walk in the door by 5:45 PM and dinner is ready.  We eat together and clean-up together unless there is a conflicting item on the schedule.
    We are generally occupied with Kids activities, etc. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday until 9:00 PM.  One weekend a month Son and I were gone Friday-Sunday.

If my wife were out cold by 9:00 PM we'd have very limited time for sex each week.

90% of our sex at home happens after 9:00 PM.  The other 10% is weekend morning sex.

Generally we are in bed by 11:30 each night and asleep by 12:00.  I do great on 6 1/2-7 hours of sleep with sleeping in most weekends.  She gets her 9 hours in each night by sleeping until 9:00 AM.

Our weekends vary, but generally allow some family time and fun time.

My friend, him and his wife both work.  However they work similar schedules.  So they are both up around 6:30 AM and get the kids out the door to school and then they are both home by 5:30-6:00 ish and then they make dinner, clean-up, etc. and are usually done by 7:30 ish.   They have evening stuff but not as busy a me, so they are usually only out 2 nights a week.  She goes to bed about 9:00-10:00, and he's usually up until about 11:00 unless he goes to bed with her at 10:00.  They do most of their routine household chores on the weekends, leaving their evenings open.

You're wife being out until 8:00 PM most nights and then zombie/bed by 9:00 is probably the biggest issue in your schedule.  Neither me nor my friend would be having much sex if our wives were out of the house until 8:00 PM and then immediately into bedtime mode.

I'd take a look at the morning routine.  Is there any way your wife can get 1-2 hours extra sleep?  Can you plan/prep meals on the weekends, and then just through them in the crockpot in the morning?  Are the kids old enough to get themselves out the door in the morning?

I think you could see bug dividends if you could find a way to extend her bedtime until 10:00 pm.....if she could get the extra sleep back in the mornings.