Guilt

leoslayerleoslayer NCSilver Member Posts: 1,920
Anybody else deal with this? Twice a year like today I feel very guilty that I'm not out there with my friends.

I know logically I'm too old. I know logically that I did my job and that circumstances were different 26 years ago.

I just can't shake the guilt sometimes. The guilt of not being deployed of not sharing that sacrifice.

frillyfunRebuildingHusbandHildaCorners42andatowel

Comments

• TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    Part of this isn't guilt; it's about your Mammoth.  You get that, right?
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    HowlAtTheMoon
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    I don't understand guilt. It just seems like such a waste of time and energy to me. But I know I'm a bit twisted and have empathy problems. 
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
  • leoslayerleoslayer NCSilver Member Posts: 1,920
    Tennee said:
    I don't know how that's even remotely possible. The two things are completely unrelated.

My livelihood being taken from me by those POS at the DOJ didn't happen until well after 9/11. 

My guilt started with the first deployments.
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    leoslayer said:
    Tennee said:
    I don't know how that's even remotely possible. The two things are completely unrelated.

My livelihood being taken from me by those POS at the DOJ didn't happen until well after 9/11. 

My guilt started with the first deployments.
    My point is it's not all 'guilt'...it's the larger hole that needs to be filled.
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    MissD
  • leoslayerleoslayer NCSilver Member Posts: 1,920
    edited November 12
    Riffing off Angeline's post ... would it help you to volunteer at a VA hospital or other organization that helps veterans?

Or volunteer as an adult in the Boy Scouts?

I've always found this kind of guilt is lessened by volunteer work, or helping others in some way that touches on the cause you your guilt.

[If I ever have enough money, I want to buy a multi-family home and rent out units at very low rent to middle-class SAH parents and kids fleeing abuse. I could have used this, I know others need it. The rich have money, the poor have lots of places to get help, the middle class women get squeezed from both ends. Doing this would make me feel less guilty about the handouts I had to take.]
    The only thing I really do is when my closet friend who is still active gets deployed I take care of his wife for him.

I fix things that break, work in the yard or pick up their boys if she is stuck in the OR.  

Or if she needs to get out I'll have her join myself and C ( at the time) or V.

It does not stop me from telling him I wish I could be helping on Ops. 
    CartB4HorseCrashaxe
  • FrizFriz FloridaSilver Member Posts: 633
    leoslayer said:
    Anybody else deal with this? Twice a year like today I feel very guilty that I'm not out there with my friends.

I know logically I'm too old. I know logically that I did my job and that circumstances were different 26 years ago.

I just can't shake the guilt sometimes. The guilt of not being deployed of not sharing that sacrifice.

You've done your duty. You've already sacrificed.  The heart that you are showing here tells me a lot.
    As you progressed through the ranks/experience of your duty, you taught the newer, younger guys how to do the job in order get themselves back home in one piece.
    That's what we do. As we learn, we teach and pass our wisdom on to the next(younger) group.
    Your handiwork, experience, wisdom is in your successors. You have nothing to feel guilty about. In fact, you should feel proud that you have done your duty and passed the wisdom on to the rest of the people.
    Visit the VFW, American Legion, FRA, VA center, or just go to the nearest memorial and say hello to another vet.
    Never forget what you have done, but focus on the good/fun times.
    TenneeCrashaxeshibari
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    edited November 13
    All the time

What @Angeline said
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
    leoslayer
  • CrashaxeCrashaxe Partytown, which is wherever I am.Gold Men Posts: 1,243
    Miss it? Yes.

Proud of doing it? Yes.

Guilt? Never.

I did the things others would never do. I did my part.

Are you sure it isn't survivor's guilt? Idk enough about what you did and where and when you did it back then to rule survivor's guilt out.

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” General James Mattis, USMC

TenneeAngelineIrishGypsy
  • ffp20ffp20 upstate nySilver Member Posts: 224
    For me, dealing with dead and badly injured/sick kids is the worst. Only recently has the mental health profession got a better grasp on ptsd.  I remember being ordered to attend stress debriefings....totally awkward for a bunch of super alpha guys sitting in a circle talking and being moderated by someone with no clue of what we do.
    leoslayerCrashaxeTennee
    ffp20 said:
    For me, dealing with dead and badly injured/sick kids is the worst. Only recently has the mental health profession got a better grasp on ptsd.  I remember being ordered to attend stress debriefings....totally awkward for a bunch of super alpha guys sitting in a circle talking and being moderated by someone with no clue of what we do.
    +1 to both thoughts.

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” General James Mattis, USMC

Tennee
    edited November 16
    Sadly, for the most part, the Meat Eaters of the world, aka the Super Alpha types, have damn near superhuman resistance to seeking help for their mental injuries than the other members of the human race. It just largely goes against their nature and personality type.

@leoslayer bringing up any issue related to feelings is showing a lot of courage. 

Admitting that you are having problems is often thought to be admitting that you are weak. Most would rather get caught dressed in drag in a red light district than admit that they aren't 10 feet tall, affected by nothing, and bulletproof. A lot of guys still seem to think that asking for mental health help is the same as saying that you can't hack it.

Sadly, there are still a good number of well-respected people out there that openly say that they do not believe that PTSD is even a real thing, and think that it is just people who are mentally weak or looking for an easy path to disability ratings. And nobody seems to openly challenge them. Mental Health issues are quite often still far too much of a, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" kind of thing.  

Also,  the leadership pays lip service to No Warrior Stands Alone and the rest of tenets of the concept of seeking help and suicide prevention, but the leadership and the individuals in the communities who haven't been in that position of needing help yet still often seem to hold seeking psychological/psychiatric help against the person who seeks out that help. Once a person is known to have sought help, they  far-too-often lose some to most of their trustworthy status. It is like others are afraid that what the guy who sought help had is contagious.

Guys contemplating getting help for the first time remember what they thought of others that sought help before they did, and worry about losing their reputation and status.

I don't know that there will ever be a sea change in this problem. It is somewhat akin to trying to cajole a Lion into becoming a vegetarian. You are dealing with a group that has always been Hyper Masculine.  Guys who think women give big Fitness tests to them as boyfriends have seen nothing compared to what peers do to each other on an ongoing basis in combat-oriented fields to ensure that the recipient is worthy of the Fitness tester's trust. Fail once, and all eyes are suddenly on you. Selection is a never-ending process, and is quite Darwinian.

One offshoot of what I am talking about is that in police work, a rookie cop is never really trusted until he/she has proven him/herself by handling him/herself well in his/her first on-the-job fight. Until he/she has done that, the rookie is considered to be just so much excess baggage in the passenger seat. After that first fight, it is usually the job of the training officer to tell everyone far and wide how well or not the rookie acquitted him/herself. Only after passing that test is a rookie police officer really given any trust by his/her coworkers. Similar things happen in the .mil.

The fact that so many of the Critical Incident Stress facilitators/moderators have been touchy-feely types that Meat Eaters can't relate to in any fashion for so long and that the rule of, "What is said in the group stays in the group" and "No judgements" has never generally been enforced in any way leaves the guys who want to maintain their reputation completely unwilling to open up in a group.

Those who know they need help fear having it held against them, so they won't talk in groups and will sneak off to individual therapy. Therefore trying to change the culture of the community to one that believes that getting help shows great strength has seen very poor improvement. 

Tenneeffp20IrishGypsysoa2005
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    Cdr. Awesome asked if you wear anything to indicate your service -cap, tags, shirts. When he is not working, 99.99% of the time he has on a veteran cap, and it almost always sparks conversation with another vet. The overwhelming majority of these impromptu meetings are positive for him, he said, and it gives people a reason to start the conversation.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    Crashaxe