Guilt

Comments

• leoslayerleoslayer NCSilver Member Posts: 1,920
    No I don't wear anything. It's not something I would personally want to do. 

I'll talk to guys all the time but I don't advertise my veteran status unless there is a reason.

Now Moe's and Lowe's are two pretty good reasons but you just show your id nomsayin?
    CallmeCat
  • FrizFriz FloridaSilver Member Posts: 633
    leoslayer said:
    You know I understand that I sometimes push the purpose of the forum beyond what it's supposed to be.

But honestly this is the only place I really get things off my chest. 

I do appreciate everybody lending me a ear.
    We have to support each other, Brother. We were, we ARE, and always will be brothers and sisters, a part of an elite type of human being that thinks nothing of giving our own lives for our beliefs.
    Another suggestion is doing something team related. After I retired from the Navy, I worked offshore in the oilfields for 9 years. I had my crew and we worked as a team to keep our ROV ready to work at anytime. Some of those guys and I formed bonds similar to the Navy and although we no longer work together, we stay in touch.
    Crashaxe
    Friz said:
    leoslayer said:
    You know I understand that I sometimes push the purpose of the forum beyond what it's supposed to be.

But honestly this is the only place I really get things off my chest. 

I do appreciate everybody lending me a ear.
    We have to support each other, Brother. We were, we ARE, and always will be brothers and sisters, a part of an elite type of human being that thinks nothing of giving our own lives for our beliefs.
    Another suggestion is doing something team related. After I retired from the Navy, I worked offshore in the oilfields for 9 years. I had my crew and we worked as a team to keep our ROV ready to work at anytime. Some of those guys and I formed bonds similar to the Navy and although we no longer work together, we stay in touch.
    I do disaster recovery when we have natural disasters. Once we deploy for a storm it's really like I'm back in for the week or two we're out there.

Another thing I do is furniture instalation. We are all independent contractors. On the bigger gigs we'll have 4 to 14 guys.We ride together, eat together, have a roommate and everybody knows what they are doing. Well oiled machine.
    CrashaxeIrishGypsyFriz
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    Scarlet
  • Pen_and_SwordPen_and_Sword USASilver Member Posts: 469
    That article makes me even more grateful for the men who guarded the perimeters of our society... and gives me a glimmer of understanding for why they all seem to resent being thanked for it in person.
    "James Bond doesn't have bad days."  - Tennee
    "The goal is to turn women on, NOT sex. If you become good at turning women on, sex can be assumed." - Tanooki
    Triage: http://marriedmansexlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/13564/so-this-is-me
    M.A.P. - http://marriedmansexlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/13574/pen-and-swords-map
    AngelineCartB4HorseScarletHoward
  • CrashaxeCrashaxe Partytown, which is wherever I am.Gold Men Posts: 1,243
    edited November 29
    That article makes me even more grateful for the men who guarded the perimeters of our society... and gives me a glimmer of understanding for why they all seem to resent being thanked for it in person.

That being the case, I feel like my time in posting the article was well spent.

They don't all resent it, @Pen_and_Sword. And while I can't speak for all of them, I think only a minority actually do, if any actually do. A lot of people who have served will say that they resent it, but they are more likely embarrassed, and really do appreciate it. They just aren't about to admit it, as they don't want to admit to having a feeling. Embarrassment isn't usually an "acceptable" feeling to own up to in the community of warriors, and as you have read, not something that warriors want to admit to themselves.  Admitting to having any feelings other than unit pride is a quasi-taboo thing, as you have likely gathered from what I have written and what I have posted. 

I personally am touched when people thank me for my service, and it means a lot to me. I can't think of a single friend or guy I know that has served that hasn't privately said that they feel the same way. I will tell people that it was actually my pleasure to have served, and thank them in return for their appreciation. Not everyone is as verbally adept when caught by surprise, or they can have their own hangups.

It can seem trite when people say it as a reflex, and don't seem genuine in their expression. That gets a little annoying, but still, it is appreciated.

Also, it can get to be a pain in navigating daily life if anytime your status, former status or claim to fame gets mentioned, you have to contend with a sea of people wanting to thank you for your service. It gets a little embarrassing. 

I relate it to what I deal with in my current job on occasion. My business is involved in several different industries, and in some of them, I am considered a big fish in a small pond. I sometimes receive the celebrity or rock star treatment where people don't treat me like a regular guy and want to fawn over me or kiss ass. That gets really old very quickly. I'm not that guy. I enjoy and desire to be treated with respect, but I don't like people being obsequious. 

It can become uncomfortable and embarrassing when people don't let up with the celebrity-craze,  and it makes getting things done or having a regular conversation that much harder. I honestly don't know how people can handle being real celebrities 24/7 without losing their minds. I don't think I  would be able to stand it. When people thanking you or fawning over you with the, "We are not worthy" approach becomes a detriment to just living life, it gets old.

One way you can get around the thank you issue is to show your thanks in non-verbal ways. In the community of warriors, be it military, police, fire, etc., alcohol drinks are one of the ways guys express their feelings without stating them. You might not actually verbalize a thank you to someone, you show it by buying drinks for the person you want to give your thanks to. It is an etiquette thing.

I will often without making a fuss, quietly flag down a server and pay for the meals or a round of drinks for military personnel who I see wearing combat patches or awards when I see them in restaurants or bars. The server inevitably tells the recipients, and they always make a beeline to me to thank me for having done that for them. I will tell them it was my pleasure to show my thanks for what they have done. I have actually ended up with a rather large military unit patch collection this way, incidentally.

I was invited to participate in a Presidential Inauguration, and the hotel I was staying at had a ton of cops from around the country brought in to work the inauguration staying there. Also at the hotel were the members of the Congressional Medal of Honor Association--all of the guys who had earned the MOH that could attend. It was one hell of a unique event, as I got to hang out in the hotel bar each evening and meet a large number of Medal of Honor recipients.

Those guys never paid for a drink while they were there. Every cop and military member present had these guys covered. That is how admiration and appreciation is expressed. The MOH recipients were the most down to earth guys you could meet. They didn't like having people kiss their ass, and when someone would start doing that, or calling them, "Sir.", they would tell the person fawning over them to relax, and would also say, "knock it off with that Sir bullshit. Call me Mike." Every one of those guys insisted that they did not deserve the MOH that they were wearing. That bar was a microcosm of the whole issue of the etiquette of showing appreciation to warriors.

I didn't mean to write a novel, but related things kept flowing. Sorry for the long read.

TL;DR, Most probably really don't mind being thanked, but might say or indicate that they do, and there is an etiquette to doing so that those who would have no way of knowing what it is can unintentionally violate. 

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” General James Mattis, USMC

Pen_and_SwordTenneeCartB4Horse
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    I can report that Cdr. Awesome for one is annoyed by it, mostly because the reception he got when he actually served was less than positive, and downright hostile on several occasions. But better late than never, right? "It's a fad." 
    ymmv
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    CrashaxeCartB4Horse
    edited November 29
    I don't mind a thank you but I don't feel like a thank you is necessary.

If somebody is kind enough to say thank you then I'll give them a sincere and kind response.

Most of the time nobody would ever know that I'm a vet unless they are next to me in line.

Yes  I'll admit that I will take some perks here and there but I didn't seek them out. They are just policies of those particular businesses.

My thought is if they are going to be gracious enough to offer then I should be polite enough to accept.

No different than somebody offering you a beverage in their house. It's rude to turn it down.
    CrashaxeTenneePen_and_SwordCartB4Horse
  • FrizFriz FloridaSilver Member Posts: 633
    I don't think that it's really resent that anyone feels for being thanked. It makes us wonder why we're being thanked for doing a job that we felt was our duty.
    We know that not many people can do what we've done and we sometimes are confused with our past ourselves. It's just awkward.
    TenneeCrashaxe
    Angeline said:
    I can report that Cdr. Awesome for one is annoyed by it, mostly because the reception he got when he actually served was less than positive, and downright hostile on several occasions. But better late than never, right? "It's a fad." 
    ymmv
    Not that he's wrong, exactly, but if his service was Korea or Vietnam, then I'm part of a now-adult generation who wasn't alive/aware then, and often feels very differently. Maybe we're late, but it's because of a poor choice in birthdays rather than apathy.  :)
    "The goal is to turn women on, NOT sex. If you become good at turning women on, sex can be assumed." - Tanooki
    Triage: http://marriedmansexlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/13564/so-this-is-me
    M.A.P. - http://marriedmansexlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/13574/pen-and-swords-map
    edited November 30
    Friz said:
    I don't think that it's really resent that anyone feels for being thanked. It makes us wonder why we're being thanked for doing a job that we felt was our duty.
    We know that not many people can do what we've done and we sometimes are confused with our past ourselves. It's just awkward.
    ...and that's what it was hard for me to understand. It's not purely rational to think that it's your DUTY to do something for which you VOLUNTEERED. But I now see that, once you're in the military, this duty-is-not-extraordinary mindset becomes necessary for the work.

The way I see it, I got to choose to be the first person in my dad's family to graduate college and have a professional career because thousands of other men gave up that choice and stood on the perimeter instead. I can't not take that personally. 
    Friz
    edited November 30
    Friz said:
    ...and that's what it was hard for me to understand. It's not purely rational to think that it's your DUTY to do something for which you VOLUNTEERED. But I now see that, once you're in the military, this duty-is-not-extraordinary mindset becomes necessary for the work.

The way I see it, I got to choose to be the first person in my dad's family to graduate college and have a professional career because thousands of other men gave up that choice and stood on the perimeter instead. I can't not take that personally. 
    The types that are pulled towards volunteering for these jobs aren't wired like the other 98% of the population. We hear a siren song singing to us. I would describe it as having a calling.

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” General James Mattis, USMC

Pen_and_SwordTenneeffp20
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    ^  and it sometimes is quite literally a siren
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    CrashaxeJohn3
    edited November 30
    Tennee said:
    ^  and it sometimes is quite literally a siren
    Indeed it sometimes is.

It still kills me to hear about friends deploying into harm's way or see and hear an emergency vehicle going Code 3, lights and siren, hauling ass to something and not be part of it. 

It kinda gets baked into your DNA. Tennee and I had a PM discussion about the Life, and how it becomes an addiction that is probably as strong as Heroin or Cocaine, and just as bad for you mentally. An adrenaline addiction. I had women I dated say that they felt like they were competing with a mistress who had far more power over me than they ever could. It isn't just what you do. It becomes who you are.

It consumed my mind, and was damn near impossible to focus on the rest of mundane life. Regular life becomes like living with the colors muted, smells lessened, taste killed, and the volume turned down to 1.

It consumes you and eats you alive from the inside psychologically (and somewhat physically from wear and tear) like a malignant cancer. As detrimental as it is to your psyche, it remains the only thing that will scratch an itch deep in your core that might lessen with time away from it, but never will completely go away. 

When I chose to leave it for a more lucrative and sane field of work, I missed it terribly, and suffered from a depressive longing that took a long time to recede to a more tolerable level. I hid the funk I was in pretty well, I think, but it sucked horribly.

I would go back in an instant if I were physically capable of doing so now that my kids are launched, even knowing how insidious to the spirit it is. One powerful addiction. To this day I miss it.

There is a quote from Hemingway that I and my compatriots have shared for a long time. It sums up the call to the Life succinctly:

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

TenneeCartB4Horse
  • ffp20ffp20 upstate nySilver Member Posts: 224
    @Crashaxe i totally get what you're saying. In my job we can retire after x many years of service. I'm well past that number and can go whenever i want. I look back and realize i've lived and am still living my boyhood dream..my career is my identity. I think, shit, if i choose to take my pension does my identity stay in my empty locker? Then what do i do??
    CrashaxeTennee
    ffp20 said:
    @Crashaxe i totally get what you're saying. In my job we can retire after x many years of service. I'm well past that number and can go whenever i want. I look back and realize i've lived and am still living my boyhood dream..my career is my identity. I think, shit, if i choose to take my pension does my identity stay in my empty locker? Then what do i do??
    It's a bitch, brother.

The more you can stay involved with the guys, the better.

I moved cross country the times I got out, and once you aren't seeing the guys on a regular basis, you fall off the radar. They will answer the phone and be glad to talk to you, but they generally don't call. Out of hundreds of  guys that I would have taken a bullet for, and vice versa, or gone into the most unstable structure to save them solo without a RIT Team and screw what the bosses said and vice versa, and had that incredible brothership with, I only had 2 that ever called me after I left their radar screens. That is why the pshrinks always recommend that you work hard at cultivating and maintaining civilian friendships.

And as time goes on, you don't have the new shared sacrifices and experiences, so you become less relevant to the ongoing events and changes. 

You are still considered one of them, but it is different.

The worst thing is when everyone you know has left or retired and you don't know any of the new guys.

Tennee
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    Crashaxe said:
    I had women I dated say that they felt like they were competing with a mistress who had far more power over me than they ever could. It isn't just what you do. It becomes who you are.
    My GF and I were having a discussion the other day about my next trip out, how long it would be and how many trips back I would get. She said it felt odd how the focus was entirely on places that I would describe as "Ickystans" and how my eyes lit up at the possibility of heading into places like Syria and Yemen. It's the first time anyone described my eyes lighting up at the mention of places like that.

I feel it's less the particular function, some people simply adapt to the environment and feel that's where they are very effective.
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited December 1
    ffp20 said:
    my career is my identity. I think, shit, if i choose to take my pension does my identity stay in my empty locker? Then what do i do??
    @Crashaxe said:  "It isn't just what you do. It becomes who you are."

Not to stray to far O/T, but this is possibly germane to Leo as the OP here.  @ffp20

I've seen a lot of this, a lot.  And I will tell you now, start making sure your identity is not part and parcel to a badge/turnout bag/uniform/deployment status.  I have seen this end very badly, more than once.  A lot more.  I'll spare y'all the horror stories.

I once posted something in response to The_Dude [He's out there BTW, taking it easy for all us sinners] about my anger issues.  I wondered if I didn't substitute Anger - which has a massive chemical injection of its own - as a substitute for my adrenaline fix when I left.  Because it was a huge, massive adrenaline hit.  I loved helping people, I loved helping to make things right.  And I loved, loved, loved the energy from it.  Because you feel like Superman - not a fucking thing can go wrong.  Until it does, of course.

I can't speak for the Mil aspect here.  But for me, I have to frame it like this:  "It was a job".  You have to think like that, or you'll explode.  It was a job.  An important job.  A vital job.  Maybe an altering-the-course-of-history job.  But it was a job.  It was not me, it was my part-time avocation.   I'm me, and I'm a whole lot more than a job I had a while ago. 

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    CrashaxeAngelineffp20Winter
    Well said, @Tennee.

@ffp20 It might never stop being part of who you are, but what you do is declare to yourself that it is only going to be PART of who you are, and that you are going to be more. 

Tennee