Advice wanted - how to lead *and* create RC around an important topic

2»

Comments

• HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    samson said:
    You'd never go anywhere if you took that stance.
    Absolutely not true.

I have my "toleration limits" ... anything inside of them is ok, but outside them is no go.

For me personally, a hotly contested, possibly corrupt election is ok, but HB2 is not. I would not have traveled to Nazi Germany, but would travel to Israel or Palestine now.

We all have our limits, and breaking them for a non-essential reason is a DLV.

I'm not telling SRP what to do, only to figure out the strength of his convictions and where his limits really are. He may decide that the happy vacation memories are more important than paying taxes to a government he disagrees with — or he may decide that government is so awful that he can't go to NC without betraying his own ethics.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    SignorePillolaRossaMiddleMan
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    didnt know that one, Katt - thanks for raising my awareness
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    MiddleMan42andatowel
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    didnt know that one, Katt - thanks for raising my awareness
    The only reason I know about it is that the nearby town where I used to teach at the community college has a fair amount of Jamaican immigrants and I taught quite a few.   We often read current events articles, and when the SCOTUS made the ruling on gay marriage, one of my Jamaican students spoke out against the ruling and mentioned that homosexuality wasn't just frowned upon but was essentially illegal where he came from, so I looked it up to find out what he was talking about. 
    SignorePillolaRossafrillyfunBeatrice
  • SharkGuySharkGuy UKSilver Member Posts: 31
    I think you're already on the back foot here. 

Consistent principles may be a DHV but not having a solution to an act that you knew was going to cause emotional pain is not good. 

I think your only choice left is to research and plan a holiday that will allow her to enjoy the time without compromising on your ideals. 
    SignorePillolaRossa
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    edited November 25
    Bottom line is all you can do is wake up every day, and put as much awesome into the world as you can.  I can read, and get pissed off about a lot of things (draining, and unproductive in the grand scheme of things), or I can go do something awesome.  
    SignorePillolaRossaJellyBeanMiddleMan
  • 318JimmyNow318JimmyNow Dallas, TexasMember Posts: 92
    I'm very lucky that my wife and I, while standing on different sides of the political isle, share your feelings on marriage equality so this would be an easy decision for us.  Having said there here are the two ideas that came to mind.

First, what if for every dollar you spend on the vacation you donate 2 to an organization working against the law.  This way you can go but then net result is a positive against the law.  Your wife gets the vacation and you know you helped to fight something you are against.

Second, and this should probably have been first, is to make a simple pro/con list and see how it works out.  You will have to live with your wife after this but also with yourself.  Which one of you will be more upset and get over it quicker depending on each one.  I realize the application of this is not that simple but for me it helps get things on paper in front of me and blunts some of the emotion.
    SignorePillolaRossaMiddleMan42andatowel
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    ok, so what i am gathering is that the only way to handle this is to trade outer banks for her wearing a string bikini in jamaica

if NC wants to descend into a state wear international observers are required to certify that Saddam won with only 96% of the vote, who cares as long as they keep the beaches clean

lemme see what i can come up with

thanks for the discussion, folks
    Sr. PR

sapere aude

TenneeBlackwulfHildaCornersMiddleMan
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
    Is there any reason this HAS to be booked now?  You're obviously butthurt over the election 16 days ago.  Would your demeanour be better in a couple months, a year?  Four years?

I'm being half facetious, obviously.  But why not wait a couple or 3 months and take another look?
    The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
    forestleaf
    Actually,  it is just the opposite...  If the NC GOP succeeds in stealing the governor's race in the next couple weeks,  it will be harder for me to turn my head and think of England...  If the true result is actually enforced,  I actually get my finesse path thru to booking it with clearest possible conscience...  Also,  I am told that the best places book early, so there's that
    Sr. PR

sapere aude

MiddleMan
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    I just found this: http://www.lgbtqcenterofdurham.org/

You could contact them to recommend businesses for your vacation. 
    Enneagram type 9w1
    SignorePillolaRossaWinterguildenstern1John3
    Yup - that's the best way forward on that front... 
    Thanks 
    Sr. PR

sapere aude

JellyBeanScarlet
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    Western Michigan has hang gliding on the dunes (and swimming and boating on Lake Michigan.
    SignorePillolaRossa