Situation with an infant

DukeSilverDukeSilver TucsonMember Posts: 1
I bought MMSLP years ago and it has been a huge help. I think I had been married all of 3 months when the purchase was made and it is the best marriage book I have ever read. That being said, I am in a situation that I'm not sure how to traverse. I am an Army vet, college educated and I have been working in a family business now for two years. At first when I got married, I moved my wife and I away from her hometown because I had a job opportunity with the fed and my government contract job was ending. We fought a lot with her being away from her mother and so we moved back, bought into a cleaning business, bought the house next door to her parents (and really they have been a huge blessing), remolded it while my wife was pregnant, moved in 3 weeks before we had our first child, and quite frankly it has been a whirlwind. I want my wife to stay at home but for now, it financially isn't feasable. I am selling my cleaning business because the money hasn't been good enough due to the local economy and so I'm waiting for the buyer to move back and take over operations. In the meantime I am going back to college to get my prereqs for nursing school. My wife is at home for another month until she goes back to work and the baby is probably going to daycare in the meantime. Which means I work my job 50 hours a week and study about 20. She handles the books for the business, takes care of an infant and will also be working full time in a few weeks. We are both working ourselves into the ground and trying to get some savings for when we go onto just one income for the 2 years that I am in school. We don't talk much, I haven't gotten any action in 3 months and while I can overlook that she has no interest in even speaking with me. I think she is going through ppd and guilt for sending my daughter to daycare plus she is exhausted, but seriously I don't know what to do to make her happy. I can handle the doghouse. It has pizza and copenhagen. But at what point does it get to the point with the Baby where she doesn't need someone 24/7? My wife treats me with respect but she has no interest in speaking with me. I will work or study all day, 7 days a week and then try to take a few hours to spend time with them every night, but my wife just has no interest in talking. I am good looking, I'm not fat, I have a career with a lot of accomplishments, I am bilingual, educated, we live in a very nice house next to her mother. But it still isn't good enough. I know that my wife is tired. I have tried asking her out on dates, I play with my daughter whenever possible (because I love her not because I think it will make my wife happy). I have tried taking her out to new restaurants, movies, day trips to the Mountains and my wife wants nothing to do with it. She just looks at me and says "You can go if you want". Now furthermore, my wife is unusually attractive (although she doesn't feel that way right now), smarter than most people. She has a very successful career. (Although she wants to stay at home. She understands the career I am doing right now isn't going to pay the bills long term.) She supports me in what I am doing but has just distanced herself. 
Am I left to being alone for the next 3 years while I am doing school and I will be able to rebuild my marriage once I graduate and she can stay at home? At what point does it get easier with the Baby? Because right now this kid needs someone to be with her constantly. She cries a lot because she is wearing 6-9 mo clothes at 3 months and I think she is having a lot of growing pains. She also feeds like a linebacker. I don't believe things are hopeless but for right now I need small things I can do to make my wife happy. What are things you guys did while your kids were smaller that isn't taught in the normal marriage books? Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• fredlessfredless Silver Member Posts: 2,842
    You won't get good advice/insight until you do a full triage.
    frillyfunWinterBeatrice
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    Fwiw my husband worked full time while attending nursing school, so it's feasible. Unless you mean CRNA or something.
  • LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
    To be honest the first 6 month can be a physically and emotionally draining.  My wife wouldn't leave the house for a month with the baby.  Think maybe you wife just needs a break.  If you can take your kid out for a few hours hear and their to give your wife alone time.  Your either working or studying do I am sure you aren't the only one feeling along at the moment.  You might consider going part time for the next year then finishing strong once the baby is a little older.

i find it a little troubling she won't talk to you.  When did this start?  I am assuming she will at least respond to you if you engage.

i would also recommend you do some some research on post partium depression.  If you think she is suffering from this make sure she gets help.   women with no history of depression can suddenly begin having serious depression.  Because there is such a stigma on depression many women will suffer in silence.

typically starts to get easier once the baby is sleeping and isn't breast feeding anymore.  really depends on the child.

• Crash34Crash34 Silver Member Posts: 44
    I don't post very often, but you struck a nerve as I have a now 14 month old and I was in the same boat at this time last year. Listen to the advice above. A baby with colic takes its toll on everyone in your home. Relax, take deep breaths and take advantage of the leadership moment that this is. When you get frustrated vent here, but never to your wife. Go to appointments with her and help her along with at least screening for PPD. Take the baby for at least an hour but more if you can handle it. Mine would cry from around 7pm-11pm every night. Since I knew I couldn't do much to help her, I would just pop in some earplugs and just sit and comfort her the best I could do. I know it seems never-ending, but I promise it will get better sooner than you think.
    AngelineKattJellyBean
  • LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
    My sister had colic.  My parent used to take turns driving her around in their car since it was the only time she would stop crying.  Not sure it that works for every baby but it's worth a try.  My kids also loves baths so that was alway a way for me to break the cry cycle.

Angeline
  • monkeydogmonkeydog KansasSilver Member Posts: 415
    Also, try the "football hold" -- hold baby stomach down in your forearm, chin resting in your hand.

You can sort of rock her back and forth. Works like a charm, even with strange babies ....not that I go around holding strange babies...
    AngelineJellyBean
  • ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542
    ^ Same.  I'm pretty shameless about snitching babies, and they always settle for me.  That book is magic.  There is a DVD too.
    Speak your truth. 
    AngelinePatience
  • GraceyGracey USMember Posts: 119
    edited December 4
    MrGrimm said:
    And don't underestimate good tight swaddling.  Our 2nd and 3rd both were colicky, and we finally found that swaddling really helped with the last one.
    The baby swaddles with velcro, The Happiest Baby on the Block video and shooting headphones saved my sanity when our daughter was a newborn. She had colic and would cry for hours with no end. 

The shooting headphones were suggested by a friend of my husband who went so far as to gift us a pair. They  block out the top range of the baby's cry making it easier to stay calm. As he explained it those top notes are what works on your nervous system to be sure you act / react. As someone whose never even been near a gun I was skeptical but now I swear by it. Good luck. 
    HildaCornersCrashaxeMiddleMan
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    OP has not been back since posting.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    TenneeMiddleMan
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Gracey said:

The shooting headphones were suggested by a friend of my husband who went so far as to gift us a pair. They  block out the top range of the baby's cry making it easier to stay calm. As he explained it those top notes are what works on your nervous system to be sure you act / react. As someone whose never even been near a gun I was skeptical but now I swear by it. Good luck. 
    I wish I knew about these when I was dealing with colic ... the best I could manage was football holds and loud Irish folk music. And knowing that the worst of the colic would be over by 12 weeks.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Crashaxe
  • MrGrimmMrGrimm Silver Member Posts: 971
    Gracey said:

I've been wanting to get something for my wife, and maybe that is the ticket.  No, we don't have any more babies (the youngest will be 5 in a few days), but it doesn't take much loud kid play to send her over the edge :)