Comfortable and sexy shoes and/or boots

42andatowel42andatowel United StatesSilver Member Posts: 325
My wife struggles with finding dress shoes that fit well and are comfortable.  Can any of you ladies recommend a good brand or site that I can find extra wide dress shoes at?  I think she needs a 7.5 double wide.

Comments

• JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    What sort of budget do you have in mind?

What sort of physical shape is your wife in? 
    Enneagram type 9w1
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    Zappos.com lets you filter by color, heel height, width, even calf width, and they have 360° pics so you can really get a good idea of what the shoe looks like.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    frillyfunGracey
  • 42andatowel42andatowel United StatesSilver Member Posts: 325
    I started looking on Zappos.com, but most everything was more expensive than what I wanted to spend....

My wife is on the shorter side (5ft) and  she is overweight, we're working together to be at our goal weights by summer, so I didn't want to spend a lot for a something that might be replaced in 6 months or so.

So I would say under $100 would be nice.
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    Burlington can be hit or miss for sizes, but they're definitely affordable, and I've found some cute pairs there.  Payless has wide widths, and they have fun "play shoes".
  • BeatriceBeatrice USAGold Women Posts: 1,175
    Try Naturalizer. More comfy than sexy, but you can find some cute ones under $100. Definitely wearable shoes.
    We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.  -Joseph Campbell
    HowlAtTheMoon
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    <nope, you're not my husband>

Welcome to my life. I wear a 7EE, and a wide EE at that.

I think shoe designers think every wide foot is either 1) on a total frump, 2) has major foot problems. I can find sneakers, shoes for orthotics, lace-up flats (in black only), even snow boots (boy's sizes), but sexy heels in interesting colors? Forget it!

I've found two options. The first is expen$ive ... Munro brand. They sell feminine shoes with some style to them, in lots of colors, and average $200 a pair. They do go on sale at Nordstrom frequently, I bought my summer dress sandals for about $120. [They're made in Alabama, and they have a factory store there.] I've accepted the fact that I will never have a vast shoe collection ...

The other option is one I want to check further. Ballroom dance shoes are sexy, strappy high heels, and they come in just about any width you want. Some shoes even are custom made.
      Sorry for the poor image quality.
    The one drawback is they have special soles for the dance floor that won't hold up to street wear. I'm guessing you could order custom shoes with street soles, or have a local shoe repair shop add them.

I'm in the process of putting together a blog post on my shoe issues ...

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Thanks for the advice everyone.  We ordered a small selection from Zappos.com with their generous return policy. (1st time ordering shoes online).  

I think my wife has always bought shoes that were too big for her so that they would be wide enough.  We ordered a couple pairs of Naturalizer, and a couple of other brands, hoping she'll find one she likes.  We also found a few spring/summer shoes she liked, so if we get the size worked out then she'll have some options come spring.
  • GraceyGracey USMember Posts: 119
    If you have a DSW nearby they are worth checking out for affordable styles. So is Nordstrom during a sale. 
    Unfortunately we can never find anything in a wide enough width at DSW, at least in my experience, an extremely small selection of E and EE shoes.  Might need to check out Nordstrom, but they are usually out of my price range.
    HildaCorners
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    Torrid.com carries shoes in wider widths at reasonable prices. 
    Enneagram type 9w1
    42andatowelHildaCorners
    I had forgotten about them.  Which I could sort/search by width, but they appear to have some nice selections in her size too.  I will keep them in mind if these don't work out.
  • GraceyGracey USMember Posts: 119
    JellyBean said:
    Torrid.com carries shoes in wider widths at reasonable prices. 
    Oh good call. I completely forgot about Torrid.