* (Opposite sex friendships)

MissDMissD On your leftGold Women Posts: 111
I still struggle with this.

I was adored by my grandfather and having nothing but fond memories of my uncles. I also had older brothers and their friends always hanging around and being made to play nice with the little sis. :)

Pre/first years of school, there were no girls within blocks around but so I hung out with boys. And Mom & dad didn't care if I was a tomboy. (In hindsight, I think they actively encouraged it.)

In my pre/teens/university years I gravitated to the boys b/c I hated wasting time trying to fit into a clique.

So, one of my best friends to this day is male. 

We've pretty much grown up together b/c we started working at the same place in our early 20s. We've been through the dating scene, marriages, raising kids, divorces, custody battles, and many $$$ talks - not least b/c we're working in a dying industry.

I love his new wife (and his ex is one of the few people in this life I just can't stand - I find her pretentious, fake and shallow.

Red pill says its wrong, so I struggle with our connection. We really do view ourselves as siblings. 

Comments

• telynitelyni Midwest, USASilver Member Posts: 471
    Siblings are one of the exceptions, I think, and historically there are all sorts of ways people might find themselves in sibling-like relationships without being related by blood. (Adoption, "blood brothers," sharing a wet nurse, etc.) Doesn't mean there's never any attraction, and of course there are plenty of stories of incest too, but since incest is such a taboo in most cultures today, it's a lot easier to think and act appropriately if the relationship is sibling-like.
    Enneagram type 5w4
    telyni at gmail
    MissD
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    @MissD Myself, I think opposite sex friends are fine if both partners in the marriage are ok with it and trust each other to adhere to boundaries. My wife and I both have osf's (all of whom are married) and we each meet up with them without our s o. 

My wife and I now (finally figured how) share a calendar and we can see when each other are planning on meeting those friends. Myself, I meet up with my friend almost monthly whereas my wife meets up with her friends once, maybe twice a year. 

I'm not sure what my wife and her friends talk about when they are together and don't really care. One of her friends (mentioned in my triage, college friend, rich, high profile business man and pilot) asked her out repeatedly, a real "ladies man" but she was never interested. Her other friend is a good guy, down to earth, married family man (my brother dated his twin sister years ago so we have met) and as far as I know, he nor my wife ever had any romantic feelings toward one another. What I do know is that when they do meet up, they are always in a group and never one on one. 

My situation with my friend is completely different. I worked daily with my friend for 16+ years. Yes, we have shared very personal and intimate details of our relationships but no more than we would with same sex friends. We both know that if we had met while single, we most likely would have gotten together. We are both attracted to each other not just physically. We both share interests and some hobbies but mostly we share our commitment to our marriages. 

If either of us are having marital issues we have each other to bounce things off of to get a male/female perspective although since being on this forum those discussions are very rare now. Our conversations now are mostly about family and what mutual friends we have met up with. 

I can honestly say I have never flirted with my friend and at one low point in her marriage she did and although flattered, instead of encouraging it, I talked with her and helped her through the issue. I also worked with her husband off and on and he and I are friends and I plan on keeping all my friendships just the way they are. 

If my wife were to ask what we talk about I'm sure I wouldn't have any problem telling her. If I felt I couldn't disclose our discussions, it would be time to rethink my friendship with this woman. 

RedPillLearningMissDHildaCorners
  • MissDMissD On your leftGold Women Posts: 111
    Tennee said:
    nubby said:
    ...opposite sex friends are fine if both partners in the marriage are ok with it and trust each other to adhere to boundaries.

We both know that if we had met while single, we most likely would have gotten together. We are both attracted to each other not just physically.
    And herein lies the danger.  You can't turn off attraction.  You can't, period.   The Lizard Brain is always at work, both male and female.  I have female friends, W and I are bestest buds with one couple.  But I never - ever isolate with them.  Work acquaintances, sure - had lunch with one last week.  But there's no attraction there.  Group settings?  Sure.  Double-date?  Sure.  Isolation?  Nope.

From this guy's perspective, let me 'splain something:  there's a voice (its probably my inner Godzilla BTW, he's a helluva lizard brain) who, with frequency, says "Hey, I wanna hit that".   I tell him to shut up, we're married, that's wrong, be quiet.  He really doesn't care about my social conventions or moral/ethical/religious compass - he's taking orders from the deep down Unconscious.   

So, whereas there may be trust and there may be boundaries, those can be directly at conflict with the existing attraction between two parties, as the Nubster illustrates above.  

Which will win?  Obviously, it depends on circumstances.  Like Saigo said, there's exceptions, but the laws of attractions are real.   I view it as a dice roll - how many rolls until you turn up snake-eyes? 
    This really depresses me. 

Not just for me, b/c I truly believe bf and I are all past that whether we're left alone or not.  But b/c we both have smoking hot DDs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but your arguments seem to suggest there's never a 'safe' person they can bounce ideas off of.
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I don't disagree with Tennee ... how could I, I'm not male.

But I think many men can master their lizard brains.

Sure, they'll always be a part that says "I could hit that." But that part is covered in layers of "hitting that could get me in trouble; hitting that could cause disaster to her and my lives; hitting that would be stupid on so many levels ..." Given all these messages that an honorable man listens to, it would take a truly monumental act to overcome the "don't do that" messages. [Such as isolation in a hotel room in a foreign city with her wandering around nude and provocative.]

I will not live my life as if all men are working actively to get into my pants, and that I have to avoid men unless I want sex with them. I can control myself, I expect men to as well. I don't let myself get into awkward situations with married male friends, they don't get into such situations with me.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    TenneeAlphaNowLeticiaguildenstern1
  • MrGrimmMrGrimm Silver Member Posts: 971
    Just personal opinion, but I think it's different when it's someone you have been good friends with for a very long period of time.  You have had plenty of opportunity to "get together" before marriage and it didn't happen.  To me the concern comes when you are already married and just start "hanging out" with some guy from work, or maybe it's a guy you knew from high school that you reconnect with and start spending a lot of time with.  I'm sure most people can control themselves in these situations, but that's where the concern would come from me as the spouse.
    Louise
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    I'm going to repeat this post from 2012:
    Angeline said:
    I'm with @ichabod B to the S, but hey it works for Mandy so you can't knock it.
    So far. In her circle, everyone is being "nice" and pretending the undercurrents aren't there.

Her guy friends either find her fuckable, and don't do so because they don't have the nerve, they haven't had an opportunity, or they're afraid of her husband's reaction; or they don't find her fuckable.

She chooses to pretend this element isn't there, and that they all just appreciate each other's wonderful personalities or senses of humor.

If anything destabilizes the current dynamic - her husband loses his job, one of the guys goes on an MMSL self-improvement project, one of them finally gets nervy enough to verbalize his desire, everything goes ass over teakettle.

A destabilzing item already on the table is her husband's extensive time out of town. One of these guys might decide to make a move on that basis. It's a bagful of dynamite.

That's not to say you can't have casual friendships with people of the opposite sexual orientation, and enjoy that sexual tension and energy, just always be mindful of the underlying reason it's enjoyable - the *sexual* tension.

Never be alone with said friends, never talk your spouse down to them, keep it to very limited doses *with* your spouse present.

And the issue of whether you can be friends with your spouse is completely unrelated to this. Of course you can have a deep emotional and invigorating friendship with your spouse. Because the sexual stuff is clearly on the table as a given of the relationship.
    http://marriedmansexlife.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/13548/#Comment_13548
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    TenneeRorschachCrashaxeBlackwulf
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Again, I won't disagree with you, Tennee.

I just think most people, most of the time, don't allow "the magic four" to happen.
    Isolation
    Dopamine
    Inhibitions knocked down
    Attraction

I've known few people in my life who knock down their inhibitions and go looking for dopamine thrills. [I just don't travel in those circles.] One or two of the above might happen, but not all four at once.

And getting back to mixed sex friendships, as long as one/both people understand the magic four, there will be no "it happened by accident."

Years ago, during one of my marriages, I found myself very attracted to a married man, and him to me. We were good friends, and friends as couples. We engaged in the same sport, and often drove together to practices. We had three of the four: isolation (alone in the car), dopamine (revved up after a good workout), and attraction. But ... we were careful to never be in a situation where we lost our inhibitions ... and nothing ever happened. We even went so far as to deliberately avoid social hugs. [But if I were to ever find out he was single again ... watch out!]

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Littlejoe
  • fredlessfredless Silver Member Posts: 2,842
    It's also not usually a single event that causes the issue--it's a gradual slide toward a level of comfort with the OSF that undermines the marriage.  That's why you have to be vigilant about every interaction with the opposite sex.  People get lulled into a false sense of security precisely because they have no intention of acting inappropriately.  Then months or years later they are saying, "I never intended to..."
    exactly.

• RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    edited December 21
    I want to know how the telepathy works.

A couple of weeks ago I started dating a woman.

Today I got an email from another woman I haven't heard from for a year, who I met on OKC. We went on a few dates, I liked her, but she said Lets Just Be Friends at the time.
    Now she emails me a year later, saying how about meeting up again. 

There is no possible connection between them. 

So how did OKC woman know that I had got into a relationship? It has to be telepathy.
    (I know, I know, it's because it's Christmas, that time of year.)

I know there are plate spinning aficionadoes here, but my plan is to say "no" to OKC woman. Or at least "sorry but no".  (Because, I declined her offer to "be friends" a year ago. So if I were to agree to start meeting up with her again, it would HAVE to be on the basis of the relationship now being sexual. And it's contrary to my personal beliefs to be having sex with two different women concurrently). 
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    HildaCorners