Closing the Forum on 12-27-16

Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046

Hi there,

I suspect that most of you have realized that this day is coming, so I’m not expecting surprise as much as an all purpose “oh well” now that the day is here.

I’m closing the forum on 12/27/16. It’s the last day of the billing cycle for the hosting service. Per Vanilla Forums they will then purge the database wiping everything and there’s no coming back from that.

We’ll be cancelling the remaining Gold Member subscriptions and refunding any overpayments greater than a month of time. I’m also going to be turning Private Messaging back on so that if people want to continue communication with each other, you can arrange that via PMs yourselves.

And yes, my decision is final. Not changing my mind, please don’t try and come up with some kind of workaround solution to keep the forum running.

I’m sure the question on everyone wants answered is “why shut it down?”

I have some large primary monkeys I’m trying to juggle. (1) Content Creation, (2) Coaching, (3) My Personal/Family Life and (4) The Forum.

For a very long time I’ve been trying to juggle all four and becoming increasingly exhausted by it. I was of course aware of this, but also figured mid-2017 with the last kid off to college it would be a finishing line of sorts. I really had no idea I could have a heart attack and 2016 has been a horrible shock.

Coaching is enjoyable, a major income source and the forum only provides about 6-7% of the leads for my coaching calls. Coaching does take up a lot of time and energy though. The blog and social media in general has largely been falling by the wayside, and it provides greater exposure to my content and business. Likewise everyone asking “when are you coming out with a new book?” has been disappointed in my answers for a while here.

My personal / family life has been stretched thin at times and 2016 has been extremely hard on Jennifer. I am extraordinarily lucky in having her in my life.

So something has to give, and the only thing that can give is my continued support of the forum. Looking back I’ve been increasingly ill since the end of 2014, the heart attack was March 2016. It’s been nine months since then and I’m only just starting to feel *somewhat* normal. I really have to get back to content creation though.

I also cannot delegate the running of the forum to someone else. Please just accept that I’ve considered it and rejected this option.

That being said, part of the reason I’ve let the forum exist for as long as I have, is that I appreciate that so many of you have a deep attachment to it and to your other forum members. I’m sure that it feels somewhat unfair of me to end it and for that I am sorry. There are many people here that I will actively miss as well.

Most especially I would like to thank Rebecca / @Serenity for all her assistance in keeping things going as long as it has.

I’m also grateful for those that have helped with moderation and the many of you who have been contributing help to others for so long.

I’m also extremely grateful for this experience. I’ve learned a massive amount and it’s certainly helped round out my overall viewpoint and skill set. I’m a better thinker, coach and person for all of this.

In terms of my future and the future of MMSL, I’m for the most part heading to a combination of Youtube for the free content, and setting up shop on most likely a Teachable platform for paid online course work. Generally switching content branding to fall more under the Chain of Seduction model as well. The coaching will continue and I’m also looking to have more fun with life in general.

The heart attack recovery is going okay. It’s a much longer road forward than I could wish for. I don’t advise having one.

So TL:DR… the forum ends so I can move forward. It’s just time.

Athol

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

JellyBeanRebuildingHusbandAngelineBeatriceMariaHildaCornersRorschachTenneeScarletLittlejoeIrishGypsyRedPillRonPhoenixDownMasterOfTheUniverseHusband3point0MiddleManSmashmasteral2682sashaDaddyOhLennyffp20jonShepardamblrgirlBlueWolfHowlAtTheMoonVerethragnaHowardfordsvtCartB4HorsegeorgeshibariWildflowerSallyManderRapunzel3ambuddyfPaisleyParkPurpleGuitarslingerUlyssesPersephoneHopeful

Comments

• JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming USSilver Member Posts: 37
    edited December 17
    I am so grateful for your work @Athol and thankful that it, and this forum, were available when I needed both most. I feel a profound sense of loss, like a bunch of close friends are all about to concurrently vanish. Since this place is the anti-Facebook, there is an intimacy and insight into the real lives, struggles and best of all triumphs of so many. The lessons learned from those who followed or ignored the advice and the tools they were given powerfully reinforced your framework and ultimately your genius. Thanks to everyone for sustaining this wonderful resource. MAP on!
    TenneeLittlejoeamblrgirlPersephone
  • LordFlashheartLordFlashheart UKSilver Member Posts: 170
    @HildaCorners I've PM'd you a request.
    Just like the others I'm shocked at losing MMSL forum's, I need this place.
    But I do understand and wish @Athol_Kay all the best. 
    Thank you for giving me hope, concrete advice and support from some truly ace people who I'm glad to have as virtual friends, i.e @IrishGypsy, @nubby, @Tennee, @CartB4Horse, @SignorePillolaRossa etc, etc I could go on and on.

You want something?  You're the Captain?  You make it happen. Courtesy of @fredless
    TenneeIrishGypsyBlueWolf