How are your workouts going?

Comments

• DrumHornDrumHorn AustinSilver Member Posts: 1,634
    I'll put a shout out to gym I'm going to.  It's called Koko Fit Club and what they offer here is computerized personal training.  You pick the program that best suits your needs and the computer will guide you through the entire workout on the smart trainer.  The gym is open 24 hours a day and they have staff present during the day if you have questions or need help. 

The workout is a full body workout and you rarely repeat the same exercises in back-to-back sessions. You can do cardio as well and they have pre-taped audio to guide you through an interval based cardio session.  I've been getting so good at them that they I now do the extra high intensity workouts every day.

The price is around $90 a month and I think you have to sign up for a year contract (although penalty to leave is nominal).  I highly recommend it. It's been great for me.
    PhoenixDown
  • mook_zmook_z Gold Men Posts: 1,267
    edited November 2012

Whereas @mook_z has lost 15, and looks like a whole new sexy person. Grr.

Ftfy.
    "you ... are right." - DaddyOh
    Serenity
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    8-|

• ChimpyChimpy Member Posts: 2,559
    Well I'm benching sets above my BW doing multiple chinups and I've got the whole weight set on for squats and deads, soyeah its working well :D
    PhoenixDownMaria
  • mook_zmook_z Gold Men Posts: 1,267
    @Maria, it's all motivation. I never worked out until I decided I wanted to see my daughter's future kids. Then the MAP said, "btw, your wife doesn't want to sleep with a fatty."

I love running because I love pushing myself in an endurance activity. I want more and more miles. I want a new high score in distance. I want a new low time per mile.

I love circuit training because I like the low cost, high efficiency strength. I want a new high score in pull ups, push ups & dumbell rows. Strength training is also great for working out anger.
    "you ... are right." - DaddyOh
    DrumHorn
  • WendyWendy Gold Women Zen Garden Posts: 1,371
    I need a topic that isn't either completely infuriating or soul-crushing, lol.

So how is the physical part of your MAP/FAP going?

Amen woman!

I did my 45 minute hike today.  I've been working out about 4 times a week.  I am focusing on getting used to the 16lb kettlebell.  So I use it during split lunges, holding it to my chest, and during the single legged romanian deadlifts, and I added also side torso rotations.  I am thinking next week I should grow a pair and start doing the swings. 

Congrats on upping your weight for presses and such, I am impressed!
    PhoenixDown
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    edited November 2012
    I did a reset on Stronglifts 5x5 after realizing my form was crap.  Really enjoying that despite some knee pain from the squats. I'm about to hit some plateaus, particularly on the overhead press.

In addition, I'm running approx. 2.5 miles twice a week.

Now if I could just get my diet under control, I would see some real progress.  I'm 20 pounds overweight according to the BMI, but I'm at around 20% bodyfat, which would suggest I'm gaining a reasonable amount of muscle.
    Rico said:
    I did a reset on Stronglifts 5x5 after realizing my form was crap.  Really enjoying that despite some knee pain from the squats. I'm about to hit some plateaus, particularly on the overhead press.

Now if I could just get my diet under control, I would see some real progress.
    No mate you ARE seeing real progress.Just cos it aint as fast as you like it don't mean you aint going forward. Keep on keepin on man!
    PhoenixDown
  • DrumHornDrumHorn AustinSilver Member Posts: 1,634
    Rico said:

Now if I could just get my diet under control, I would see some real progress.  I'm 20 pounds overweight according to the BMI, but I'm at around 20% bodyfat, which would suggest I'm gaining a reasonable amount of muscle.
    If you have any decent amount of muscles then BMI is poor measure of healthy weight.  For example, according to BMI, Adrian Peterson is considered to be overweight.  Body fat is a much better measure.
    DrumHorn said:
    Rico said:

If you have any decent amount of muscles then BMI is poor measure of healthy weight.  For example, according to BMI, Adrian Peterson is considered to be overweight.  Body fat is a much better measure.
    +1At the height of his powers Lennox Lewis was considered dangerously obese. Dangerous yeah but fucking obese?! @-)
  • fredlessfredless Silver Member Posts: 2,842
    fredless said:
    My workouts are going great.  I've been doing Crossfit for 10 months and as my wife says, I've never been in better shape. 

Today, at my box, we're doing deadlift 1 rep max.  I'm hoping to pull at least 365-370 lbs--not bad for a guy who turns 50 tomorrow and only weighs in about 164.

Deadlift 1 rep max was 375 lbs this evening.  Color me pleased.
    PhoenixDownspanky
  • SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358

I've been doing absolutely nothing for 2 weeks, but ya'll are inspiring me. 

RPW, have you had your thyroid checked?  It can get out of whack during/after a pregnancy.  Most people do best with a TSH no higher than 2.5.  It's a simple blood test. 

• PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    @Serenity I haven't had it checked since I was pregnant... My OB is constantly checking my thyroid, because I seem to always have symptoms of something wacky, but it always comes back normal. I've got PCOS, but trying to manage it with a combo BC pill and diet. 

Oh wait, actually, I had a physical a couple of months ago, but I don't remember if he checked thyroid function. I'll have to go back and check the paperwork. 

fredless said:
    fredless said:
    My workouts are going great.  I've been doing Crossfit for 10 months and as my wife says, I've never been in better shape. 

Today, at my box, we're doing deadlift 1 rep max.  I'm hoping to pull at least 365-370 lbs--not bad for a guy who turns 50 tomorrow and only weighs in about 164.

Deadlift 1 rep max was 375 lbs this evening.  Color me pleased.
    Nice work! I did the maths and thats about 170kg in new money. I canget a single rep out at 160, and i'm as pleased as piss with that so you must be like the dog with two dicks! :-bd
    PhoenixDownRaspberry_rose
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    Bah... ran 4 miles yesterday, feeling good about the way I'm looking.  Not getting a whole lot of positive feedback from the wife, but that's fine.  So we're out on a date last night and run into a friend at a store.  Former semi-pro football player who has never been in bad shape, but at the moment he's looking completely jacked.

And of course after we leave, my wife comments about how good *he* looks.  Oy.  Still got work to do.
  • RainRain Member Posts: 49
    I'm focusing on strength training. The mental problem i'm having is that I've developed that craving to workout most days, and since I'm lifting fairly heavy by my body's current standards, I need two days to recover fully after working an area. I've split it so that I do abs, chest, and triceps twice a week; back, shoulders, and biceps on a different two days; and then lower body on it's own two days. This is working okay except that mentally I crave more. I'm a longtime yogi so I throw that in when I just want to do anything, but it doesn't quite scratch the itch. I'm hoping that since I haven't been consistently back on my workout game for very long this is an adjustment phase and my recovery needs will shorten. Having a moderately physical job is probably contributing as well.
    Rico said:
    Bah... ran 4 miles yesterday, feeling good about the way I'm looking.  Not getting a whole lot of positive feedback from the wife, but that's fine.  So we're out on a date last night and run into a friend at a store.  Former semi-pro football player who has never been in bad shape, but at the moment he's looking completely jacked.

And of course after we leave, my wife comments about how good *he* looks.  Oy.  Still got work to do.
    Quite often the wife won't notice until someone mentions it to her. They have husband goggles that sometimes see you in stasis, even if you've made big improvements, it's like they don't think they are real or won't last....
    It like someone you see every day who's losing weight. The change is gradual and cos your there all the time then you don't notice day by day. When you don't see them for a fortnight, then you notice.
  • thisisjenthisisjen Silver Member Posts: 1,164
    @Maria. What butt lift exercises do you do? As, for me, I do mostly weight training, but I do love the me time of a run on a sunny day. Changed my eating over a year ago and dropped easily down to my High school weight. the hardest part is finding the time to get it done. Working full time, a gaggle of kids, aging parents, so many things to prioritize.

• AlittlefunnnAlittlefunnn Member Posts: 260
    My workouts are good. My eating, well that's not all good. 
    Rico
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    @thisisjen: I do these (start at 5:06):

and two sets of 30 to 50 leglifting exercises

http://forum.gofeminin.de/forum/sport/__f678_sport-ubungen-fur-runden-Po-und-schlanke-Beine.html

I agree, finding the time is the hardest part! Strangely one finds time for the most idiotic things (at least I do !), but it's a struggle to fit exercises into daily schedule...
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.