How are your workouts going?

13»

Comments

• thisisjenthisisjen Silver Member Posts: 1,164
    Thanks @Maria.

• PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    I was doing so great with the gym, it felt really good to go out and then feel nice and sore the next day... Then got sick. Blech. I'm going back tonight (and especially Friday, to work off the feast :) )

• sashasasha Gold Women Posts: 1,130
    @RedPillWifey said, to work off the feast.

thanks, that reminds me to have my sneakers ready thanksgiving day so I can slip them on easily and go for a quick walk. It helps with the stress of being around family too :)

PhoenixDown
  • AnonJohnAnonJohn Member Posts: 148
    in the past six weeks:

PR's in -

Deadlift: 406
    Clean and Jerk: 220
    Snatch : 165

Its going very well indeed.

PhoenixDown
  • BenBen Silver Member Posts: 3,651
    edited November 2012
    I've decided to try Stronglifts 5x5 for three months and see where that gets me.  I'm still on my first week, meaning I'm just barely above an empty bar, so the upper-body stuff is cake, but I've decided against skipping ahead (I don't have a lot of experience with free weights so I want to be careful).

The squats, on the other hand, are kicking my ass more than I would have anticipated.  They're not hard at the time, but I definitely feel some soreness on my rest days.  Guess I know what needs the most improvement right now.  (-:

I bought some caliper thingies, assuming I'm using them right I'm at around 18% body fat, which doesn't seem like the worst starting point.  5'11", 170 lbs.

I dunno, I don't know much about this stuff, I'm having to figure most of it out myself with some help from the Internet.  I bought Rippetoe's Starting Strength and flipped through it, but a lot of it gets pretty technical.  Jesus, if this is STARTING strength, what's the advanced version look like?

---

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    Ben said:
    I've decided to try Stronglifts 5x5 for three months and see where that gets me.  I'm still on my first week, meaning I'm just barely above an empty bar, so the upper-body stuff is cake, but I've decided against skipping ahead (I don't have a lot of experience with free weights so I want to be careful).
    Yeah, you gotta fight the urge to skip ahead... I did that the first time I tried SL5x5, and eventually had to go back and restart everything at a lower weight.  And watch your form - it's critical.
  • BPDHubbyBPDHubby AustraliaMember Posts: 68
    I just finished my first week of new diet/ workout routine.

I have been following the guidelines in The 4 Hour Body. I also included some basic workout routines 2x20 min no weights and 3x30 min with weights.

Good results so far. Down about 4kg (10lbs). Next week will be a bit more telling though. I didn't get accurate measurements at the start as my scales were acting funny.
  • pastorgeekpastorgeek Dodgeville, WI. USASilver Member Posts: 752

Back to being serious on diet and exercise.

Diet is basically slow-carb (from the 4 Hour Body), but also throwing in IF (intermittent fasting) from the Warrior Diet (so I skip breakfast and lunch as often as possible most days) and that's working well for me right now.

Exercise is kettlebells. I do 100 swings (two handed) with a 72lb and then Turkish Get Ups with a 53lb (right hand) and a 35lb (left hand). Managed 7 getups each side this morning.

Starting to see body changes! :-)

"Get slim, get fit, be manly! But mostly, be the guy your wife thought she was marrying!" - me.

Now blogging at simonpeter.org

• sappersapper Silver Member Posts: 1,645
    Starting Paleo lifestyle next week. Interested in how it can help with inflammatory issues due to knee reconstruction (combat injuries) not to mention overall puffiness.

I hired a trainer to help me get over a plateau. Now I look forward to getting my ass kicked twice a week. Since then I've packed on about 20 pounds of muscle and dropped 6% bodyfat in the last 4 months. I do TRX, Crossfit, kettlebells, and hijack routines from P90x2, Insanity, etc to keep it mixed up. Muscle confusion works wonders. Another thing I recently added are Tabata workouts. It really helped jump start the system and the effects last all day if you are doing a Tabata cardio workout.

I can't change my dimensions all that much, just replacing the fat with more muscle. I no longer fear about being "big" so long as its muscle now.  Definition is coming along on the legs and need to work the ab area.
    buzz4500@yahoo.com
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045
    Highlight of my Thanksgiving holiday:  Father-in-law walks up to me while I'm carving the turkey, says "Have you been working out?", reaches up and gives my bicep a squeeze as he says it, and exclaims, "God damn!"  

Next best thing to impressing your wife with your manly physique is impressing her dad.  

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

PhoenixDownWildflower
  • sappersapper Silver Member Posts: 1,645
    Did you ask him if he wanted a thigh to go with that wing?
    buzz4500@yahoo.com
    Wildflower