Child Support Advice Needed

Hi there, i am a mom of 2 seeking help for your advise. 3 months ago, i had a divorce with my ex.
I had my kids with me, we had a verbal agreement that he will continue supporting my kids financially.
As of right now, i never heard anything from him after that agreement. I'm so desperate, been looking for some
information about child support, found this website about child support calculator until i end up in this forum of yours.

I just don't know where to start, please help. i'm from Evansville, Indiana.

Sorry about my english, it wasn't my first language.

Lemon

Comments

• PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    I don't think we can help you, other than to tell you that you need to have a lawyer, and you should have had one from the very beginning. A lawyer will be able to work these things out for you.

Scarlet
  • ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542
    Call the Department of Child Services in Indiana.

Speak your truth. 
    ElainelemonTemplar
  • lemonlemon Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the quick response guys. I really appreciate your help.

I will call the department child services then because i can't afford a lawyer at this time, and see how they can help me with my problem.

I promise i will update you guys as soon as i get more info.

Thanks again.

Lemon
  • NeoTheLeoNeoTheLeo Member Posts: 796
    Are the kids his? 
  • NeoTheLeoNeoTheLeo Member Posts: 796
    Ok, just making sure. 

• ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542
    Good question, @NeoTheLeo.  I didn't think about it at all.
    Speak your truth. 
  • TedDTedD USAMember Posts: 1,587
    If you are in financial trouble, going on support might be a way to help.  I know it isn't the best solution, but once you are on government aid they WILL go after the father for support to get back some of the money they send to you.

Best of luck to you.  Do what you have to for those kids, even if it means swallowing some pride and asking the state for a hand.  Those programs are intended for folks that need the help, so don't feel bad if it comes to it.  Nothing wrong with getting some help when you need it.
    ElainelemonAngeline
    Hi all, thank you @scarlet for providing the link to Indiana Child Services. I call them, they refer me to the Vanderburgh Child support prosecutor, i told them my situation and was advice to open up a case about it.

They also told me that they will  send an income withholding order (IWO) to my ex husband's employer or filing a petition with the court to enforce the case.

I thank you all for the advice and help. I will update this page as soon as i get some updates on the case.

God bless you all.

PhoenixDownScarletTedDAngeline
  • anonymanonym Silver Member Posts: 418
    edited April 2013
    I was a child support investigator for 5 years and have worked on and off in Family/divorce/paternity Court for the last 6 years.
    Make sure your agreement is in a written Court Order and that the Child Support Office is enforcing the order.
    No order = no legal responsibility. Protect yourself and get it in a written order.
    keep on top of it with the enforcement office if he doesnt pay. In the State of Wisconsin 120 days without paying support is one Count of Felony Failure to Support with possible jail time. But WI is one of the toughest states when it comes to enforcement. Hopefully IN has similar laws.
    Templar