Martial Arts Thread

So I'm thinking of starting a martial art. When my wife was much younger, she used to study ninjitsu, which tempts me because of it's diversity, but I'm also tempted by judo because of the focus on sparring. Krav Maga has come highly recommended, but clubs tend to be quite expensive to join.

Does anyone here practice a martial art?

Comments

• picardpicard Silver Member Posts: 1,848

• EightbitEightbit DruidiaGold Men Posts: 2,410
    Started taking Tang Soo Do in September with my 8yo daughter. she's already earned her purple belt; I'm still white heh.

I'm not serious enough to join a club. it's fun, but not anything I can spend tons of time practicing.
    Insert witty, insightful signature here.
  • NeverSleptOnTheCouchNeverSleptOnTheCouch Silver Member Posts: 432
    I'm a year into shotokan, with my daughter, who has six or seven years in, and just got her black. Good stuff. Seems to enhance the other things I do. Rounds out my map in ways I hadn't considered.
  • ChimpyChimpy Member Posts: 2,559
    Theres another MA thread somewhere I'm sure. Nosey around and it will come to light - no sense re-inventing the wheel mate.
  • sconzeysconzey Member Posts: 57
    Chimpy said:
    Theres another MA thread somewhere I'm sure. Nosey around and it will come to light - no sense re-inventing the wheel mate.
    Thanks; I'll dig that out.
  • pastorgeekpastorgeek Dodgeville, WI. USASilver Member Posts: 752
    Judo. You will thank me later.

"Get slim, get fit, be manly! But mostly, be the guy your wife thought she was marrying!" - me.

Now blogging at simonpeter.org

sconzey
  • BrickBrick Member Posts: 749

Got my black belt in Tae Kwon Do 20 yrs ago. I am a MMA instructor (Muay Thai, Jiujitsu, Wrestling, Boxing). I also am a student in Kali / Escrima (edged weapons, impact weapons, e.g sticks, plus empty hand combat).

What is the reason you want to learn martial arts? This is very important since there are many "Mc Dojo's" out there that teach you a lot of flashy, impracticle techniques that are useless on the street. Ive seen many "black belts" in these systems get their ass kicked by a street fighter with no formal training. So if you want to do martial arts to lose weight / get in shape, you might as well learn a system / art that can actually be used when you're in danger.

**************************************************************************************************************

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" -Einstein 

"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness.  I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me." -Al Capone
    pastorgeekPhilosophicEntrepren
  • cobrakaicobrakai Member Posts: 125
    @Brick has a good point about the learning to fight along with the getting in shape. I have trained in many martial arts but always find my way back to the least street lethal one, because I enjoy it.
  • Changed_ManChanged_Man ChicagolandSilver Member Posts: 1,965
    Started studying Aikido. The style and philosophy is very appealing to me. Enjoying it immensely.

When push comes to shove, you taste what you're made of. You might bend til you break, cause it's all you can take. On your knees you look up, decide you've had enough. You get mad, you get strong, wipe your hands, shake it off... And you stand!

"Stand" by Rascal Flatts

DaveBowman
  • DaveBowmanDaveBowman Member Posts: 5,823
    Started studying Aikido. The style and philosophy is very appealing to me. Enjoying it immensely.
    Been at it almost 20 years. The problem with Aikido is after 20 years I'm still a beginner ;)

Keep at it and see you on the mat sometime.

Changed_Man
  • KickboxerKickboxer USASilver Member Posts: 1,120
    Don't do the strip mall dojo. Find a decent mma place. Take boxing and jujitsu if you have the time. Do something that involves actual sparing. Do not bother with cardio-boxing. If you only have time for one formal class take kickboxing, boxing, or jujitsu.

I'm going to have to find that martial arts thread.
  • T_frostT_frost WisconsinSilver Member Posts: 72
    Sconzey, if you want your training to have "real" self defense value as well as offering a workout and such, I *highly* recommend you read Rory Miller's 'Meditations on Violence' before selecting a system or school.
    Been at it almost 20 years. The problem with Aikido is after 20 years I'm still a beginner ;)

If you're approaching it right, you should still feel like a beginner after 20 years, whichever art you study. 

"Get slim, get fit, be manly! But mostly, be the guy your wife thought she was marrying!" - me.

DaveBowmanTungstenCarbide
  • BSTBST Northern OntarioSilver Member Posts: 30
    Muay Thai

Effective, brutal, helluva workout, very alpha, no belts its all about who you have crushed, or has crushed you ;)

Join a full contact club, will keep you motivated to train hard 
  • anonymanonym Silver Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2013

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. BJJ is an insane muscle building workout. I took some time off of it for a while and just started going back religiously about a month ago. I dropped a ton of weight and with the right supplements, packing on the muscle. Plus both of these together are dangerious. We have many UFC fighters coming out of my gym. I love messing with my friends too. They think they are all tough shit because some of them are bigger/stronger than I am, but when I have then screaming for the mommies in front of their wives, its sure to make more than one pair of panties wet.

@picard can attest to that. BJJ = the shit!

@anomyn - Just feel that I have to talk smack here!

BJJ is for those who can't handle Judo! :-)

• anonymanonym Silver Member Posts: 418

And it starts! My gym also does Judo on weekends. I just cant get to those classes. :(
    anonym said:

And it starts! My gym also does Judo on weekends. I just cant get to those classes. :(

I feel for you man. I had to stop Judo when I started pastoring. Just not enough time for work, pastoring and anything else. Now that I'm full-time, I can't afford any clubs and the Judo club closed last year anyway. :-(

• BrickBrick Member Posts: 749

Keep at it and see you on the mat sometime.

Yes, Aikido is very technical and takes a lot of yrs to get proficient. Steven Siegel is the real deal. I used to think it was just choreographed Hollywood bs

**************************************************************************************************************

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" -Einstein 

"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness.  I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me." -Al Capone
    DaveBowman
  • DaveBowmanDaveBowman Member Posts: 5,823
    Agree @Brick. He's actually pretty good. Not the guy you see in those shitty movies. Watch the first one and that's a pretty good example of a Segal sensei class.

I had a white belt ask me once "how long until I can use this in a fight?"
    My response was "When you can use it in a fight, you wont care about fighting anymore."

My teacher at the time was listening in, nodded, and walked away. He actually uses that line now.