Self sufficiency vs God-dependency

124»

Comments

• Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    edited August 2013
    How can we know when to sit tight and when to take action?
    Matthew 25: 14-30

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

CaptaindudeBig_B
  • CaptaindudeCaptaindude USASilver Member Posts: 350
    @Athol_kay  Good example.  I can think of plenty of pro-action references.  The rest of Matthew 25 reinforces that.   Can't think of any places where God recommends non-action, or 'sit tight and wait'.  

• never_surrendernever_surrender Silver Member Posts: 176
    Follow this train of thought through, it appears that one of the goals of the MAP is to become self-sufficient, not reliant on your wife or anything else for what you need and/or want in life.

That however seems to be in contradiction to the whole Christian perspective of being reliant or dependent on God. Personally I'm not sure I even understand 100% what it means to rely on God.

How do these seemingly 180 degree opposite positions work together?

It's actually very simple. You move forward doing the right things in life which one is maping and I would say another is operating in your gifts that God gave you. God tells us to seek the kingdom of God. This is what I do. I work in many of the areas of maping and do the things God tells us to do and I see everyday how he works in my life.  I could start a thread of the awesome things He does for me everyday.   

Matthew 6.33

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

AlexZ
  • never_surrendernever_surrender Silver Member Posts: 176
    Serenity said:
    Interestingly enough, the phrase, "Let go and let God" is not found in Scripture.

Some of my favorite scriptural instructions emphasize action

"Go and DO likewise."  Go  and do  are both action verbs.
    Jesus asked, "Do you love me?"  then "Feed my sheep."  He didn't say 'sit around and pray all day about it.'  Go. Do. Feed. Lovely simple action words.

Jesus was a man of action. He healed, he fed, he resurrected, he comforted, he forgave.  All actions.

In fact, I'm trying to think of a situation where Jesus' help was requested and the *only* thing he did was pray. None spring to mind, but maybe some of you Bible scholars can weigh in.
    Yes, a man of action and he was just like us. He knew and operated with the powers God has given us.  Here he healed Peters mother in-law and did not pray. He just spoke to the issue. 

Luke 4:38-41

Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

38 Jesus left the synagogue and went to Simon’s[a] house. Simon’s mother-in-law was very sick. She had a high fever. They asked Jesus to do something to help her. 39 He stood very close to her and ordered the sickness to go away. The sickness left her, and she got up and began serving them.

and this comes from 

Matthew 17.20  

World English Bible

He said to them, "Because of your unbelief. For most certainly I tell you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.