Smashmaster's 2Q MAP Report

SmashmasterSmashmaster Tera IncognitaSilver Member Posts: 809

I've been working on trying to put this down for a few weeks, but until I promised myself a metaphorical cookie, I couldn't get it finished.  One thing I picked up from the MAP book was the fact that I need to motivate myself positively, not negatively.  I guess that's a point right there in the "Personality" category, eh? (My latent Canadian showing up there.)

I've added a Career category to Athol's MAP chart, but other then that I'm using that as the framework to my MAP plan.

Physical Yellow to Green

I'm in good health, still look in my mid 30s (turned 45 last week) and am still lifting every day.  My weight loss has stalled out at about 250.  I expect that I'm just going to have to find a way to get some cardio in whenever the opportunity presents itself.  Easier said then done when I live in a mobile cabin and I only get a shower every 3 days or so....

I've never done any drugs, never smoked and only drink occasionally, but my co driver smokes.  Got to find a way to help him quit.  He is always bitching about how much the damn things cost, I know he wants to quit.

For living on the road, I'm doing pretty good diet wise.  We didn't have a fridge in the truck for the last 3 weeks, so I was eating too much junk food.  Currently back on track now that we have one, with the ubiquitous Subways being the only truck stop food I still induldge.  Other then that I pretty much stick to food I pick up in Walmarts.

Financial Yellow to Green

The new company I started driving for this month pays much more, almost twice as much as the last one.  Now that I'm making more then "just getting by" I've got enough to implement Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover" plan.  I'll have the emergency fund done in about 8 days.

I don't have much debt to get out from under.  Not student loans, no credit cards, and no car payments.  I owe family about $15,000, mainly in free rent I got over on over the last 10 years or so.  After I get that done, I'll do better with Mom's fitness tests....grrr.

Career Green

A year ago I decided the market was trying to tell me to change careers, so I looked around for something that was in demand and didn't need much in the way of education/training.  OTR Truck Driver fit the bill, and it's pretty much gone as expected.  I got my CDL, hired on with a "training company" that pays "meh", get some experience and jumped ship to a better company.  So far it's gone according to plan.

Still learning the ins and outs (there is more to this job then you might think....) but it's coming along nicely.  Going to start looking into Owner/Operator options and developing bonus income opportunities.

Tagged:

"Ultimately the captain sets the tone of the relationship." -Athol Kay

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." -Albert Einstein

"Momma said that the Forrest part was to remind me that sometimes we all do things that, well, just don't make no sense." -Forrest Gump

Version3Raspberry_rose[Deleted User]RapunzelAlphaBelleHildaCornerssashaScarletDrBeta

Comments

• SmashmasterSmashmaster Tera IncognitaSilver Member Posts: 809

DHV Yellow

Being a truck driver isn't a DHV (it might be a DLV depending on who you ask), but I don't give a fuck.  I have some projects to work on though.  I'm learning Spanish while I drive, but I know it's going to take a while before it becomes useful.  Languages, music and higher math are not my forte (I'm not a 5).  Still, I have time to use and I might as well make something of it besides listening to the same songs I've heard over and over.

I'm the dominate partner between me and my co-driver, but I don't really made a point of it.  He tries to fitness test me sometimes, but I know how to handle them much better then I did in the past, so it just reinforces my grasp.  We are a pretty good team, despite being pretty much opposites (I'm an INTP, he is an ESFJ).  He does the paperwork, I do the planning and navigation.  If either of us come upon a problem that we can't figure out, the other has the solution.  I dragged him with me from our old job, and he was really uncertain about making the jump.  I kept telling him to chill out (I'm a 9, I am master of chilling out, while he is a 6 and is by nature more prone to stressing out.) and eventually he agreed that I was right, this was a brain dead move.

I'll get around to dealing with Mom later.  She is an extraordinarily proficient fitness tester, and until I get some leverage in that relationship I don't think I'm going to have to accept the status quo.

I'm going to get my eyes lazed as soon as I get can the money saved up for it.  Eventually I'll get new clothes after I get to a desired weight/build.

Relationship Yellow to Green

This was green for the most part up until about 2 months ago, when the wife's hamster went bonkers.  I engaged the furry little bugger and lost my patience and my frame.  Been in recovery mode for the last two months using the appropriate techniques and have undone most of the damage, but it's been slow going.  I thought she was more rational, but sixes don't handle foundational shifts well at all, and I have been disturbing things with my ongoing efforts.  I should have seen it coming.

Otherwise, we are upgrading our nest with high benefit to cost ratio expenditures to improve the energy state of our home.  We are both (by necessity more then virtue, I'm afraid) frugal people, so we know how to get a lot of bang for our buck.

Fortunately, me being away so much hasn't caused any conflict, so no binds to deal with.

I am maintaining friendships as best I can.  Phone calls, poker games when I am in town, email.  Only one is making an effort to keep it up on the other end, though.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." -Albert Einstein

"Momma said that the Forrest part was to remind me that sometimes we all do things that, well, just don't make no sense." -Forrest Gump

• spankyspanky Flying around Silver Member Posts: 2,267
    Was waiting for this, nice update. Most things look to be trending up, and nothing at all going backwards.
    SmashmasterRaspberry_roseRapunzelAlphaBelle
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    I do ok at remembering stuff until I go out of town, for any reason, work or pleaaure. For some reason, that completely resets and clears out my mental RAM. I'm amazed you ever remember anything, being on the road.

Great update!
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    SmashmasterNeanderthal2000Raspberry_roseAlphaBelle
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    Wow, great update!

I'm famous for writing to -do -lists and scheduling times on my calendar - and then totally forgetting to look at the lists and the calendar!!!
    That wouldn't be so bad by itself - if only I could recall the things I had written down earlier.
    Sadly it seems the moment I jot things down they vanish from my short-time memory alltogether. Once I've transferred them to any form of extern memory they go "poof".

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    Smashmaster
  • AlphaBetaAlphaBeta PhillyMember Posts: 80
    @Smashmaster my dad sold truck tires for a living so I grew up meeting a lot of drivers and people in that biz. Some of the drivers were very Alpha males, cool Mf'ers. And some always had issues.

I think if you have all your shit together and display alpha, driving those big rigs can be DHV.
    SmashmasterAlphaBelleNeanderthal2000DrBeta
  • sashasasha Gold Women Posts: 1,130
    Evernote
    On my computer, my phone, my Kindle. Syncs to all.
    I'm never not near one of these devices so I can jot down any little ToDo that pops into my head.

AlphaBelleSmashmaster
  • spankyspanky Flying around Silver Member Posts: 2,267

I rely heavily on Google Calendar and Remember the Milk.

Both work on my 'Droid as well as my laptop, and I can structure things to work well ...

... when I remember to enter my %$#^*% tasks!
    Just add a task to RTM to remind to add your tasks to RTM. Look at me helping... My work here is done! ;)
    Smashmaster
    Mandrill said:

Spirit Red to Yellow

I always put this last.  I should be putting it first.  Humm..... I think I'll use some of that excess energy and redirect it here.

Too much here in the "orange", I realize now that I think about it.  I'll have to think about this some more.

Any feedback, pro and con is of course appreciated.

What do you mean by "spirit"?

Also, the main thing is that you're moving in the right direction, don't expect for everything to get perfect. Like the book says, work on your biggest problems first. Adding to something you're good at isn't as beneficial as improving something you're bad at.

You're improving your life and you should be proud of yourself.
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

The Spirit Category, as defined by the 12 Week Guided MAP covers Love, Hope, Happiness and Relaxation.  (It's more to me then that, but I'll keep it simple for now.)

I think the reason I hadn't considered this category much was I was focused on doing objectives, like getting a new job, working out, saving money, etc.

These seem to be a batch of passive conditions, though I suspect I might be missing something.  I wonder if @Athol_Kay might illuminate this area a bit.....

• Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    edited August 2013
    Mandrill said:

Spirit Red to Yellow

I always put this last.  I should be putting it first.  Humm..... I think I'll use some of that excess energy and redirect it here.

Too much here in the "orange", I realize now that I think about it.  I'll have to think about this some more.

Any feedback, pro and con is of course appreciated.

What do you mean by "spirit"?

Also, the main thing is that you're moving in the right direction, don't expect for everything to get perfect. Like the book says, work on your biggest problems first. Adding to something you're good at isn't as beneficial as improving something you're bad at.

You're improving your life and you should be proud of yourself.
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

The Spirit Category, as defined by the 12 Week Guided MAP covers Love, Hope, Happiness and Relaxation.  (It's more to me then that, but I'll keep it simple for now.)

I think the reason I hadn't considered this category much was I was focused on doing objectives, like getting a new job, working out, saving money, etc.

These seem to be a batch of passive conditions, though I suspect I might be missing something.  I wonder if @Athol_Kay might illuminate this area a bit.....
    They are all 100% side effects of other elements of the MAP. You cannot directly improve them. There's nothing to do. I simply want to know how you're doing in those areas.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

Smashmaster
  • FleurFleur Joining the witless protection programMember Posts: 668
    Thanks for the update, I love encouraging posts. Helps motivate me on my own journey.

Smashmaster
  • DrBetaDrBeta USASilver Member Posts: 1,688
    @smashmaster

My weight loss was stalled out at 220 lbs.  I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 6'-0" on the nose, so 220lb is too heavy for me and it sounds like 250 lb is too heavy for you.

I was thinking like you, "Hmmmm... I'm going to have to add cardio."  I think there's some truth to that.

The problem is that I hate cardio.  It's mind-numbing.  I don't mind the exertion at all, but I lack the mental stamina.

Plus... have you ever seen a 220 lb fat man doing cardio?  It's pathetic.  But I added the cardio I could fit into my schedule anyway.

Then, something else happened that got me thru my 220 barrier.  I just stopped eating.

To be more specific, I began to fast one day a week, for 24 hrs.  I go from sunset to sunset.

There is a diet that I guess is all the rage in the UK where you eat whatever for 5 days and fast for 2 days a week.  I'm not doing that, exactly.  I'm just picking a day (Monday's are a good choice) when I restrict myself to tea, water and coffee.

It's completely changed my relationship to hunger.  Although I get hungry, I don't suffer from hunger.  I'm OK with being hungry.  I want to be hungry.

So I've reached point where I'm eating exactly what I want to eat, exactly when I want to eat it (if you know what I mean).  It's the best diet I've ever been on.
    Smashmaster
    DrBeta said:

@smashmaster

My weight loss was stalled out at 220 lbs.  I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 6'-0" on the nose, so 220lb is too heavy for me and it sounds like 250 lb is too heavy for you.

I was thinking like you, "Hmmmm... I'm going to have to add cardio."  I think there's some truth to that.

The problem is that I hate cardio.  It's mind-numbing.  I don't mind the exertion at all, but I lack the mental stamina.

Then, something else happened that got me thru my 220 barrier.  I just stopped eating.

To be more specific, I began to fast one day a week, for 24 hrs.  I go from sunset to sunset.

There is a diet that I guess is all the rage in the UK where you eat whatever for 5 days and fast for 2 days a week.  I'm not doing that, exactly.  I'm just picking a day (Monday's are a good choice) when I restrict myself to tea, water and coffee.

Im 6'2" and yes, 250 is too much. The best shape I was ever in was when I was about 22-23 and was doing a MP compitition. I was about 190-200lbs then and still a bit thin. I'm in perfect agreement that cardio is mind numbing. I don't know of a way around it except to suck it up and know I'm doing something good for me.

I had considered the fasting idea, and was going to do the same thing you are, one day a week. Glad to hear that it proved effective for you.

DrBeta