Planning my escape

Comments

• MovingForwardMovingForward Member Posts: 181
    Sorry just reread the question about how he's responded...hmm... he's awkwardly tried to initiate a couple times with some 'authority' and it's soooo unattractive. He doesn't know what TO do, and I don't even know exactly if any of the mmsl moves will work on me, and I'm getting impatient waiting. In theory, I like it a LOT, but can't imagine it ever working with him. Some posts here give me hope though that it's indeed possible.

I'm so annoyed by everything about him, though, and I'm sure if/when he reads it that he will push the 'moves' on me thinking it'll work right away, without doing the other stuff to build attraction. (I gave him the link to mmsl a few days ago, as far as I can tell he hasn't started reading/even purchased it yet)

The thing is, I actually like him sometimes. Like when he's dealing with the kids one on one; that's the only ones that comes to mind right now.

BUt then again, that's the part that resonated most for me from the books, was that there's enough beta to keep us comfortable, and not enough alpha to feel attraction. I suspect the betaness + kids, keeps me comfortable enough to feel confused about wanting to stay/leave.

Can you see what else I need to improve/work on or implement? Besides my complaining online :/
  • Changed_ManChanged_Man ChicagolandSilver Member Posts: 1,965
    edited November 2013
    Can you see what else I need to improve/work on or implement? Besides my complaining online :/
    Venting is fine... just do it here, ok? ;-)

When push comes to shove, you taste what you're made of. You might bend til you break, cause it's all you can take. On your knees you look up, decide you've had enough. You get mad, you get strong, wipe your hands, shake it off... And you stand!

"Stand" by Rascal Flatts

MovingForward
    edited January 2014

I understand your frustration, don't blame you one bit. When judging SR in a relationship, it's generally more useful to difference between the two, or 'Relative SR'. Objectively, where do you think the two of you stand?

Your update reads like you're still having some motivational challenges. As previously mentioned, making yourself 'valuable' is very important. How would you objectively grade yourself? Has he made ANY positive responses to your changes in the past 3 month?

When push comes to shove, you taste what you're made of. You might bend til you break, cause it's all you can take. On your knees you look up, decide you've had enough. You get mad, you get strong, wipe your hands, shake it off... And you stand!

"Stand" by Rascal Flatts

edited January 2014
    I honestly don't know but I'll add my thoughts:

For him, on paper, he has a good job, he's a 'nice' guy, educated, looks younger than his age, good dad (when he's around). If he were to remarry, I'm sure he could do so quite easily, with a girl who is maybe a smalltown girl/less independent/back home mentality, except his shy personality would keep him from jumping in for a while. 

For me, pretty much doesn't matter because I have kids, my SR is instantly low apparently. 

*Can you help me pinpoint where you see motivational challenges? 

To be honest, in this process, I'm seen it switch from me being victim, to me being vampire. I'm starting to not care less if this doesn't work out, and he's seeming desparate/grasping at straws trying to figure out what I want.
    MissusP said:
    Any chance he'd do counseling with you? Not with your pastor but with Athol here? It sounds to me like your husband might be willing to try but is completely clueless. With proper advice and instruction, he might really turn things around. Good job moving forward with your MAP...agree that you might want to talk to a lawyer just to get information that informs your decisions and plans.
    Not sure, yet. I have to have a discussion with him first. I am looking into doing the coaching for myself, regardless. I just can't really cut into my only savings at the moment, that I may need to pay rent/bills etc. I'm working on it though, marketing my business more, etc. Thank you for your kind words.
    [Deleted User]
    edited November 2013
    *Can you help me pinpoint where you see motivational challenges? 

I just get this vibe from your update post that your heart isn't fully in it. It's often hard for new folk to internalize that you become your best version for *you*. Getting a positive response from your mate is a perk.

"Stand" by Rascal Flatts

[Deleted User]
    Makes sense. I think it's like that recent blog post about having a report card with all A's and one F that just stands out. I'm really happy with who I've become through a lot of hard work and committment, mentally/emotionally than ever and even physically stronger than I thought I could be after many years of being ill with various conditions. I definitely have my own goals in place to become very physically fit and am working on those goals. I absolutely ADORE my business and my clients. And I recognize where I need more work and am always journalling and working with life coaches, myself, because I love personal growth. I'm always making changes at home, or my skills or my approaches with the kids, always reading several books at a time and implementing changes.

But when I focus on or talk about *just* the relationship, I feel like a complete newbie, though I'm not. I'm a newbie to *this* approach though. All the other stuff helped me get better in some ways, but no major shifts relationship wise, and it was always focused on what the woman should do. The MMSL approach just made so much sense to me. I can only go so far, and I can't force myself to be attracted to someone.

Even if this ended in me being single, today, I am ready and happy and confident enough in myself to make it, and I would continue to grow and stretch and expand my comfort zone. But for the sake of my kids, I am here willing to go with a totally different approach/last ditch effort. And if I end up with an amazing sex life, that would be the absolute cherry on top.
    Changed_Man
  • Joskin_NoddJoskin_Nodd AshwanSilver Member Posts: 4,045
    edited January 2014
    "The pouty whininess is killing me. He walks in yesterday and goes OFF on me for not helping him at the door (had no idea he needed help, he was coming in from work), and that he hurt his finger bc he was carrying so many grocery bags. WTH ?!? Really?? Is this normal or am I losing it?"

It's entirely normal. For a woman. He's out grocery shopping, and comes in a complains like a woman that you weren't waiting there with baited breath to grab a grocery bag? Shit, I'm married to your husband, too. No wonder you aren't remotely attracted. Just my opinion, but that begins to go past being beta and gets into begin "girl". 

"For me, pretty much doesn't matter because I have kids, my SR is instantly low apparently."

Pretty does so matter. Multiple kids is an issue, but if you can prove you can have kids and do dates and be a woman, it's not as big a hit as you think. Though it'll be hard to find a single guy who feels comfortable about the future financial burden of children. ;) 

"(I gave him the link to mmsl a few days ago, as far as I can tell he hasn't started reading/even purchased it yet)"

Any reason you can't move out the house? Sent him the links to the book, it was a latch ditch effort, clearly he's not in to it. Go find an extended stay hotel somewhere. Kids make it complicated, but I don't think you'll send a message to him that he's ever going to get while you are still in the house. 

Also, you don't just sound unattracted to him, you sound congenitally repulsed by him. I don't want to be a voice of doom, but, boy, I think you might be doing both of you a favor if you just wrap it up. If it's feasible. I'd be the first to say: kids make that tough, and sometimes you end up just accepting that, to do right by your kids, you're just stuck. 

But I'll say again, despite how much he apparently criticizes you (seriously, that sounds like a woman-hamster, the dude is a woman, and that probably has a lot to do with why you are so unattracted) he is too content to change unless you radically shake things up, or at least consider it. A temporary separation might be in order. Or something.

Keeping in mind, I'm not a professional. But it's hard for me to miss your tone. Or find any hope in you just sending him links to MMSL and telling him to read it. His motivation will start and stop with "what do I have to do and what is the minimum I have to do to shut her up about this". 

"There are no right biscuits." – Mandrill

[Deleted User]MovingForward
    The link was sent out of sheer frustration. I wanted a friend of his to send it, for extra oomph, but I got impatient. Something more serious WILL go down soon. Definitely not stopping at just sending the links.

Your post gave me an idea..winter break for the kids is coming up, and that seems possible to do the extended stay thing with the kids and make it a 'vacation' for us.

edited January 2014
    "Your post gave me an idea..winter break for the kids is coming up, and that seems possible to do the extended stay thing with the kids and make it a 'vacation' for us."

Is he going to know what you are doing? There is a very different tenor from a temporary separation and "I'm taking a vacation with the kids, you have fun at home". Even if he doesn't like you not being there to do stuff for him, it's still emotionally very different. IMHO.

You know who could help you a lot? Athol Kay . . .  thought of getting a one hour coaching session with him? 

MovingForward[Deleted User]
    No, I wasn't going to frame it as a vacation to HIM, just to the kids. To him, it's I'm out of here, get your **** together.

Yes, I have, but like I said, I'm just needing to save up a bit more (which I'm working on. Just signed on a new client, which will bring me very close to my phase 3 goal), so I'm not dipping into my funds that I may need for stuff like living :)
    edited November 2013

A temporary separation might be in order. Or something.

The "Or something" should be 'don't jump phases and stick to your MAP'.

From her description, she's in phase 3... time to go to the phase 4 talk. Phase 4 should last no more than a week and then it's straight to phase 5 and go off being awesome on your own... don't necessarily act 'single', but don't act like you're a couple either. If you don't get any traction there, then draw up divorce papers and hit him with the ultimatum.

Trust the MAP. Do the MAP. Live the MAP.

"Stand" by Rascal Flatts

Joskin_NoddMovingForward[Deleted User]Scarlet
    @Changed_Man: Agreed. a Phase 4 talk, if it hasn't happened, is definitely in order. 

Working on it, as we speak. Thank you everyone.xo
  • zerodayzeroday Nyc-areaSilver Member Posts: 910
    I'm getting emails with every comment how do I turn it off
    haniel