Here is an interesting one for you all

2»

Comments

• ZoroasterZoroaster Silver Member Posts: 735
    Short answer: dunno.

Longer answer: Roger Penrose has a theory that consciousness involves a quantum interaction with local space-time. Now, Penrose might well be wrong, if not utterly mad. But he's been RIGHT often enough not to be dismissed out of hand. If he's right, couldn't a sufficiently intense experience "imprint" itself, such that someone coming afterward might experience a dim "echo"? Maybe. In which case, the REAL question isn't "are ghosts real", but "Is it live, or is it Memorex?"

I lean towards the latter.
    Angeline
  • FlyingDutchmanFlyingDutchman CaliforniaSilver Member Posts: 602
    edited December 2013
    "Do ghosts exist or not?"  is the same as asking "Do we have spirits or souls (ghosts) that live on after we die?" If we do, then ghosts exist.  If we don't then, no, ghosts probably don't exist.

No one can 100% prove it one way or the other.  Same thing with any religious questions.  Is faith real?  Does prayer ever actually do anything?  Does God or some type of supernatural being exist?  These questions can't be proven right or wrong.  Strong arguments can be made either way.

But, regardless of what I believe, I will say the scientific discoveries of the past 50 years alone have uncovered stuff way harder to believe than ghosts.  Quantum physics continues to blow the minds of our very top minds.  Think if you could go back in time and tell your great, great grand parents about some of our technologies we have today.  It would completely blow their minds.

[Deleted User]
  • Flaming_Man_of_IronFlaming_Man_of_Iron BCGold Men Zen Garden Posts: 454
    edited December 2013
    Timitz said:
    What is your opinions about ghosts and hauntings? Curious about this one. I've had some interesting discussions about it lately.

I have two memorable experiences with ghosts.

When I was 10 I woke up to see a ghostly hand made of fog floating across my room, starting from the door to my window. It was made of fog, and that's all I saw. Then I woke up thinking, "what a weird dream" and then saw the exact same thing happen again. Still gives me fucking shivers.

At 22 when I met my wife in Hawa'ii I was staying with her aunt. One night I have a dream that I've been woken up in the living room (where I slept) by a native Hawaiin sorcerer. He opened a portal to the next world so I could get sucked through and die. I felt my soul being sucked in, then hitting the portal, my whole body vibrated. I woke up with one of those gasping breaths you have when you are just about to be asphyxiated to the death.

Later, I tell my wife's aunt. She visibly pales then says, "I thought I got rid of them!" I was all, "Huh?" And she goes on to tell me that upon moving in to her place, she had a number of strange things happen that led her and my wife (who had been living with her aunt previously) to conclude the house was haunted. Turns out when the aunt went to the public library, she found the condo complex was literally built on an native Hawaiian burial ground.

She and my wife went around the house for a couple days saying prayers in each room for the dead to pass on and leave this world. It sort of worked.