Spouse Tracking - Trust but Verify

KickboxerKickboxer USASilver Member Posts: 1,120
edited September 2013 in Off Topic
So I have known for some time that McAfee software lets me track the location of our cell phones at any time.  My wife is out of town at a convention right now so I decided to test it out. I must be reading to many forum threads about PAs.  Anyway it comes back that the phone is at a hospital and not the hotel/convention center I was expecting?

I have texted her to see what is going on without tipping my hand that I tracked her phone.  I currently find this amusing so I thought I would share. 

Comments

• JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    Is it possible that the hospital is near the convention center?  Sometimes the mapping/tracking software gets a little confused.  Apple Maps thinks I am at this very moment in the middle of the community swimming pool.
    Enneagram type 9w1
    PhoenixDownWinterAngeline
  • DanGDanG Member Posts: 1,519
    Maybe she's getting a boob job. :\">

PhoenixDownKickboxershibariAngeline
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    If she can't get a good signal inside the building, the GPS has some trouble figuring it out. We have trackers on our phones, and when my dude's at work, it often thinks he's about 2 blocks away, and the accuracy circle is huuuuge (so he could be anywhere within a 3 block radius).

• Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046

GPS can drift a lot.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

• KickboxerKickboxer USASilver Member Posts: 1,120
    A little investigation has shown that the convention spans five hotels of which some are near the hospital.

She hasn't responded to my text yet.  I still find this amusing that the first time I check up on her location it comes back as "hospital".

Please don't move this to 911. :D
  • The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    edited September 2013
    Some software uses wifi stations to locate when GPS is blocked. Google does this for example.
    So if her phone picks up the hospital wifi that might explain it.
    Angeline
  • KickboxerKickboxer USASilver Member Posts: 1,120
    I've talked to her.  She was still at the convention.  I neglected to ask her exact location.  However since she was indoors I would imagine the GPS signal is not the best.

Nothing to worry about, just a little overly entertaining experiment in tracking her.

I hope her phone isn't using WiFi.  I thought I had set it to not attach to strange networks automatically. 
  • DaveBowmanDaveBowman Member Posts: 5,823
    Athol_Kay said:

GPS can drift a lot.

It can also use cell identification and cell tower triangulation which are very inaccurate. Like, a few KM diameter inaccurate.

• mrsozzymrsozzy texasGold Women Posts: 1,950
    We mostly use gps tracking for trips. What is everyone using now that google latitude is gone? Looking for a free app. There's one called glympse, but you have to send a request and then it's only good for 4 hours.
  • The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    edited September 2013
    It doesn't need to connect to the wifi. It just sees the wifi id. The same info you see before connecting. That's broadcast by wifi publicly before authentication.
    This is why google sucks up all te wifi information with their mapping cars. Which has got them in trouble in Europe.
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    edited September 2013
    We mostly use gps tracking for trips. What is everyone using now that google latitude is gone? Looking for a free app. There's one called glympse, but you have to send a request and then it's only good for 4 hours.
    @Mrsozzy Life360, works for Android and iPhone, awesome little app.

mrsozzy
  • ZoroasterZoroaster Silver Member Posts: 735
    We all have iPhones, and we all have one another's IDs and passwords. We all have access to the "Find My iPhone" app. So at any moment I wish, I can know exactly where they are, and they can know exactly where I am.
  • freeborofreeboro Member Posts: 685
    @Zoroaster, how many spouses do you have?!

• ZoroasterZoroaster Silver Member Posts: 735
    One spouse, one step-daughter. :)

Point is, each one of us can know where the other two are if they need to.