Doctor Who Thread

BetaGeekBetaGeek Bringing the good betaSilver Member Posts: 1,530
Besides being the best show for nerds ever, who loves the show? Is a Doctor / Companion relationship one to want / emulate? Who was your favorite Doctor? Companion?
It's good beta.

Comments

• PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    We're in the middle of #9. Just watched the Dalek episode. Getting antsy to get to 10, because I :x David Tennant.

LiquidSound
    There's a Tardis snack vending machine in East Dallas. I'm going to find it and take a pic soon :D

HildaCornersRaspberry_roseLiquidSound
  • ElliseEllise Member Posts: 186
    This summer, I helped my son paint his bedroom door like the TARDIS, and a circle Galifrean symbol on the wall. We've seen all the recent episodes. Love it and can't wait for the new Doctor!
    liquidPhoenixDownLiquidSound
  • ozzyozzy TX USAGold Men Posts: 996
    edited September 2013
    I used to watch VHS taped episodes that came from an out of town PBS station, taped by a friend of the family, back in the 80s  Haven't seen it since though.  The last Doctor I saw was the guy with the celery on his lapel.  I'm very sure the tapes are still at my parents' house lol

I had a Dr. Who board game, that might still be over there too, have to look next time I visit.  I remember my dad brought them back from a trip to England because I don't think anyone in the US knew about it back then.  

I have seen episodes from Doctors 1-5.  

Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg
    496 x 594 - 81K

BetaGeekPhoenixDownRaspberry_rose
  • LouiseLouise EnglandSilver Member Posts: 1,622
    I liked the old Dr Whos. Don't care mch for the new ones, which I find quite incomprehensible. My sons like them though. There's far too mych mush in the new ones. Sometimes it's more like bloody Eastenders than Dr Who: 'Oh Dr, I love you' 'Oh Rose, I love you, but we can't be together' 'Oh Rory, Oh Amy' etc etc. Good grief. The first four doctors were the best, I tend to fluctuate in which one I prefer, I'm very fickle. Best Dr/companion pairing was Jon Pertwee and Katy Manning, they were utterly delightful together. And Tom Baker and Louise Jameson were terrific too. Met Tom Baker at Comicon in May, and got a signed photo, smashing.
    BetaGeekPhoenixDownTruman
  • BrianCBrianC Oshawa, ONGold Men Posts: 3,138
    I've pretty much seen every episode of Dr. Who that has survived up to the present, with the exception of the middle of the Second Doctor's run. 

When I was six and my brother four, my parents made a deal with the next door neighbours (who's boys were eight and six) to alternate late-night sleepovers on Saturday nights.  One set of parents had time for nookie while the others managed four nerdy boys... and Dr. Who was the distraction of choice.  SOmething I shall remember as a parent.

Given the sheer amount I've watched, choosing a favourite doctor is hard.  The original William Hartnell movies had a certain charm from the time period that makes them a breath of fresh air.  Tom Baker's doctor is the one I grew up on, and he had such flair and humour.  David Tenant's doctor was fun and wild and extremely well-written.  Between the three Tennant comes out slightly on top.

I loathed the American miniseries, and was disappointed by Christopher Eccleston's doctor because both were caught up in the late 90's early-naughts zeitgeist of grit. I am sick of grit, wangst, and bleak "ultra-realism", and it had no place in Dr. Who.  If I want grittiness, I'll watch a Western.  The whole charm of Dr. Who is its strangeness and occasional whimsy.

All men are great men, most fail to see the greatness in themselves.

Power, Passion, Principle and Purpose: The Wild Man Project

My most popular articles: The Art of the Apology (also on video), The Basics of Assertiveness, The Art of Friendship

Ellise
  • liquidliquid Brooklyn, NYSilver Member Posts: 1,785
    edited September 2013
    We've only seen the new ones here. It has been fun to have a show that all six of us enjoy!

My favorite Doctor is Nine; Ten and Eleven are great but, well, maybe it is because he was the first one for me? And I think he was just more of a Badass. Ten is a little on the scrawny side and I enjoyed seeing him with three different companions. Eleven was just too fixated on Amy and Rory, but I did love his relationship with....spoilers!

And my favorite companion is Donna - no romantic nonsense, which was refreshing after Rose and Martha. Oh, and Captain Jack, because he is awesome!

I wouldn't want a relationship like the ones the Doctor has with his companions. His SR is sky high! No matter how attractive/smart/loyal these girls are, he is so far out of their league that he is more like a grandfather than a lover.

Excited about the new Doctor - he was great in The Hour!
    BetaGeekLiquidSoundKickboxer
  • BetaGeekBetaGeek Bringing the good betaSilver Member Posts: 1,530
    For the newer set, Donna and Jack are my favorites too.
    It's good beta.
    liquidElliseLiquidSound
  • TheatreMommyTheatreMommy CanadaSilver Member Posts: 959
    I was in love with Peter Davidson as Tristan (all creatures great and small) and as Dr. Who back in the day (fav companion being Peri). And if anyone says that Perpigillian Brown was not in love with the Dr, then they weren't watching closely enough! LOL.  In fact, one of the audios (yes, I listen to Big Finish and BBC Dr. Who audios - I understand they're cannon), goes into Peri's backstory (which is touched on in the tv show too...).  She was supposed to marry this nice young blond man, but she left to go with the doctor. Well, had she stayed with him, (remembering how Peri ended, and how her being placed back into the timeline after leaving Dr. Who caused several alternative Peris to exist in the universe at the same time - it is important to note that one Peri did stay with him), the blond guy is really nice to her, and then he changes, and get real mean and hits/beats her.  Can we say parallel writing? Her experience with the doctor too... 

So my fav pair. Both my folks loved Tom Baker and his scarf. Of the people still making audios, Paul McGann has totally got the best stories going on.
  • liquidliquid Brooklyn, NYSilver Member Posts: 1,785
    edited September 2013
    I was in love with Peter Davidson as Tristan (all creatures great and small)
    I love this show....my husband and I are rewatching them right now, as it has been several years. My daughters were also a bit in love with Tristan when they were younger. I have never seen him as the Doctor. I wonder if I can get some on Netflix...off to look!

Well, I can watch 8 episodes with the Fifth Doctor, as well as several other old episodes. Fun!
    LiquidSound
  • GeekyGuyAZGeekyGuyAZ Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 384
    There is some sort of personality test. Which doctor and companion to you identify with.

My personal favorite was Tom Baker and Leela. The amazon who declared she will cut your heart out. Then there was Tom Baker and Romana, a time lady. 

I have had quite the hard on for Amy Pond. And where does Melody Song play in this game? Chris Eccleston was awesome with the energy he brought to the whole role. David Tennant owned as well. Rumor has it the Rose nicknamed him David 'Ten Inch'....

PhoenixDown[Deleted User]
  • DaveBowmanDaveBowman Member Posts: 5,823
    Seen every episode that it's possible to see.

(some of the earlier ones have been destroyed)

Favorite doctor:
    Favorite companion:
    closely followed by:

No, I don't emulate the doc/companion model, as he doesn't seem to actually sleep with any of them, just flirt with them.

liquidFleurLiquidSound
  • TK421TK421 Silver Member Posts: 1,108
    Matt Smith and Tom Baker (Bob Dylan Dr. Who)
  • georgegeorge Silver Member Posts: 1,514
    There is a life sized animatronic dalek in my house, built for one of our littler fans for Halloween. It's scary in the moonlight. Amy Pond had a nice run. It was 100% her attitude. OK, maybe not 100%.
    LiquidSound
    I really want to knit a Tom Baker scarf. But I know it would take years!

• FleurFleur Joining the witless protection programMember Posts: 668
    I haven't been watching long, only the last few years, so I really only know Matt Smith and I did like him a lot.  Will need to start going back in time to catch the others.

Although from my childhood I do remember the Tom Baker one, but not any episodes, didn't he have the robot dog?  Will need to try and find those old ones too.

• DaveBowmanDaveBowman Member Posts: 5,823
    george said:
    There is a life sized animatronic dalek in my house, built for one of our littler fans for Halloween. It's scary in the moonlight. Amy Pond had a nice run. It was 100% her attitude. OK, maybe not 100%.
    Jealous. 

PhoenixDownRaspberry_roseHildaCornersLiquidSound
  • LouiseLouise EnglandSilver Member Posts: 1,622
    Fleur said:
    I haven't been watching long, only the last few years, so I really only know Matt Smith and I did like him a lot.  Will need to start going back in time to catch the others.

Although from my childhood I do remember the Tom Baker one, but not any episodes, didn't he have the robot dog?  Will need to try and find those old ones too.

yes, Tom Baker had the robot dog, K9. My youngest son used to have a remote controlled one.
    Fleur
  • LiquidSoundLiquidSound USASilver Member Posts: 135
    A house full of Whovians here. My oldest has a life size cutout of the 10th Doctor in her room - should have heard the screams when she discovered it last Xmas!

My favorite doctor is the 10th, followed closely by #9. Favorite companion would be Donna, and I love Jack Harkness. :x
    liquidPhoenixDownBetaGeek[Deleted User]
  • GeekyGuyAZGeekyGuyAZ Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 384
    @LiquidSound: Doctor Donna....One of those awesome moments of where the writers bring a season together. That whole story line left me kind of breathless and wow.

Torchwood was an awesome series. The last episode(not the BS of trying to start an american version) left me really touched. The imagination and creativity of some of the stories and characters are just so amazing. Not always a clear good guy/bad guy sort of thing.