Downward Spiral

Comments

• DaveBowmanDaveBowman Member Posts: 5,823
    CaliLover said:
    Typical tests
    • I'm  working all day, she comes back from the mall with the kids in early evening, says "I'm done with them" and dumps them on me to feed, handle by myself until I put them to bed. Variations on this where she punches out without discussion (often bc something she has to do for work/hobby) and I jump in and then extend my night by several hours into the early morning bc I have to go back to work with real client deliverables - meanwhile she's done her 'work' and is surfing or watching TV and in bed at the normal time. Be unavailable. "Sorry babe, I'm off to the gym,"  "I have shit to do, sorry," etc.
    • In from grocery store - barks, can you come help me put these away and expects me to come no matter what? There's a great word you need to learn... its called "No." A good next response when pushed is "No fucking way."
    • Takes my car when she wants (it's much nicer) Who gives a shit? Don't worry about petty shit.
    • Requests tons of accommodations from my schedule so that she can spend time on her hobby/work "Gee, that's too bad babe. No."
    • Refuses to follow some basic limitations on when to impose on my work or weekend schedule Make your plans, inform her, and execute. If she leaves you holding the bag, have a back up plan.
    • Is extraordinarily self-involved but I am now seeing it as selfish Go dark.
    • Gets harsh when I don't respond to her requests - "see you're ignoring me" - anger, resentment - quick to throw shit in my face Go dark.

I also need better drive-by and initiation tips. When walking by, grab her ass. When she has her back turned, walk up behind her and kiss her neck. Simple. Don't do it for an effect, do it because you wish to do so.

You're in Phase 1. Some suggestions above until you get to Phase 2. It all changes midway.

• ddadddad Silver Member Posts: 791
    CaliLover said:

Any suggestions on protein supplements?

I can stop talking about sex and will not acknowledge my MMSL plan. I know that I will have trouble with the shit tests and how to respond to her in a firm but also natural way. The only strategy I have now is ignoring the request, which she gets her fired up "why are you ignoring me."

Gets harsh when I don't respond to her requests - "see you're ignoring me" - anger, resentment - quick to throw shit in my face

Protein, Get a Whey Protein not Soy based (soy increases your estrogen - bad).  You want something with digestive enzymes in it....
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-whey-too-much

Ignoring her.  If she is polite and the request is reasonable then do it.  Please is important.  If it is a demand or she just assumes you will do it then don't. You're ignoring me becomes 'say please like the 5 year old'.  Or just be busy so she can't assume you will do shit while she is on her hobby.  I have to get to sleep by x is reasonable.
  • ElaineElaine Silver Member Posts: 1,580
    edited October 2013
    If you are working 70+ hours a week she certainly isn't dumping the kids on you much. You keep referring to her business as a hobby which is pretty condescending and probably is seen as such by her. You have a very high opinion of yourself (not meant as a criticism) so I imagine she wants to keep herself marketable in the career world in case you decide to split. You seem to portray a one foot out the door mentality to me so she may feel that way as well. If that is the case every time you say her hobby is taking away from the family, it probably makes her that much more determined to make it thrive. I'm guessing that you need to drastically increase the quality time and good beta if you want a more intimate relationship. She probably feels that you pressure her for sex all the time because you most likely are initiating most of the time you are alone. How often do you do date nights? What time do you devote to each other outside of the bedroom? Are you flirty throughout the day? The comment you made about wanting to spend more time at home because the kids are getting older is quite telling. You can't just decide your family is now interesting enough to warrant your time. That kind of mindset shows through pretty loud and clear so she probably feels rather unimportant. Now that you are well established cut back to a normal work week. Hire some more help, take on fewer jobs, or whatever pans out better for your situation. Once you actually invest yourself into your marriage and family the way you have invested yourself into your business, I think things will go exactly the way you want. She simply doesn't see you enough to be adequately attracted to you for the level of intimacy you are wanting. More time and effort is needed outside the bedroom if you want fireworks inside the bedroom.
    RebornEightbitCaliLoverHildaCorners
  • CaliLoverCaliLover USMember Posts: 28
    edited October 2013

@Elaine - You are right that I spend too much time working - it has to change. I am not a perfect spouse and I need to work on myself. However, I have had other jobs and been available much more and our sex life was the same. But, absolutely I am not available much and we don't spend much time together. That is part of what I need to address. I do understand that if I'm not available, we don't bond and she won't be attracted to me. But as I said, there have been years where I am working more normal hours 40-50 - always home and around on weekends and we'd still be only 2-3x / month.

With her business, she spends several days and nights each week out or on the computer and is usually out of the house 1 weekend day for 6 hours or so. This is the first year W won't lose money. Even if it was wildly successful, she could clear more in a regular 9-5. The money potential is insignificant to us, the time away is not. I know she wants her own thing and I've been completely supportive until very recently when I realized this was all a game that I was losing.

The issue is that she has always equated what she is doing as on par with what I am doing so if we're both busy, we have to take turns away from our work. So I'm up with little sleep to get the kids off while she sleeps 8-9 hours and goes to work - I'm tired all day - she comes home tired with more work to do - and there is no financial benefit (which is her stated intention in having the job).

I feel like continuing to actively support her business is just me being a huge Beta chump and that my approach should be F**k it - it's insignificant to our family $, W is the only who derives any benefit from it, it's a hobby, if it turns into something else, then pay attention.

Now, I am actively trying to not think about or consider her business so if that's condescending, too bad. I'm an Alpha.

What do you seasoned experts think?  Am I reading this right?

• RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    edited October 2013
    CaliLover said:

What do you seasoned experts think?  Am I reading this right?

I think you should read again what Elaine wrote, very carefully, several times. Point by point. 

We are reflecting back to you the tone of how you sound. This is useful information for you. 

You probably ARE doing too much to support her business. AND sounding (to her) resentful and condescending about it. It's a total passion killer. 
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    ElaineDaveBowmanHildaCornersFlaming_Man_of_Iron
    edited October 2013

OK - help me with my tone. I am listening.

I thought that if I treated it like a hobby that would be more Alpha than hopping to every time she calls.

@Elaine - I do not have one foot out the door - I am committed, will never cheat and I love my wife - but I am utterly frustrated and decided very recently that I will not live like this permanently. I am committed to changing and becoming a better man and making this work.  

Also, I work from home, so I am here all the time - I break each night for several hours - dinner to kids bed time - take them to lessons, usually have an activity for the kids on Saturday, take breaks when they come home, etc.

I understand that it sounds like right now, W may resent my increasing resentment towards her business as a passion killer (I'm sure she does). But, our sex life isn't any different really than before the business - what about the years before she had her business? At any point in time, even if we've been getting along great and there's no stress, she can whip out the sex denial test and get me backpedaling. Some stuff is legit and gets addressed, but a lot of times she's just  pulling sh*t out of her ass to excuse her denial.

When we hang out, we have fun and enjoy each other - we are compatible as long as sex is not on the radar screen.

I have the MMSL Primer 20011 - and will really dive into this week. I have dropped 7 lbs. and am halfway to my wedding day weight (my goal) and have begin weight lifting for the first time ever and ordered whey protein. I am optimistic but I know it takes time and I have a long way to go.

I am here to learn and start MAP-ing - but I think that I am such a Beta that I need help with:

• develop my Alpha 
    • pass the shit tests. 
    • become fully OI

Thanks again everybody!

edited October 2013
    W just asked what's gotten into me since I have been doing drive-bys and "have I been reading blogs about not getting sex" - If she figures out I have a plan or what I am doing, she will counter me and crush my plan (she's very good at winning). It is possible she saw the book order in my email (which would mean she is snooping) or I am just too obvious  :(
  • The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    edited October 2013
    She's checking your browser history. Are you checking hers :-)
    DaveBowman
    Honestly...

You sound passive aggressive and whiny. That isn't going to get you laid.

If she's spending that much time not making money she's essentially volunteering. Inform her she has X months to either make this thing profitable by Y amount or she needs to scale it back.

You? Work less. Be more direct. You talk about bonding instead of fucking. Direct initiation every day. Direct as in "you're getting fucked now."

Sex denial tests? Get thee to a gym or something else awesome.

You need to realize that for you to be captain you're gonna have to take the conn away from her.

ElaineCaliLover
  • ddadddad Silver Member Posts: 791
    You will get the tests that you are just doing 'drive bys' or any physical attention to get sex.  She will be a tough one to crack.  This may take some (many?) months.  That is my situation also.  I had lots of 'suspicion' that I was just doing it to get sex.  Because as the increased touching outside the bedroom increased so did the increase in initiation and pushing past some soft resistance.

After a couple of steadily improving months I had a month with WAY increased resistance from her.  I think really separating the touching outside the bedroom from the outcome of sex has helped.  Keeping it fun with jokes and teasing has helped.  Not getting angry and withholding when she says no helps. 

Reading blogs about sex?  Just say I read all kinds of stuff I read a great blog about weight lifting etc.  Protein supplements....  If she finds MMSL so what? Don't hide it or make it too obvious.  Just don't push it on her.
    Honestly... You sound passive aggressive and whiny. That isn't going to get you laid.

Yes - I agree. It starts with me

DaveBowman
    CaliLover said:
    Honestly... You sound passive aggressive and whiny. That isn't going to get you laid.

Yes - I agree. It starts with me

In 10 words or less what do you want from yourself that you currently are not?

• EightbitEightbit DruidiaGold Men Posts: 2,410
    CaliLover said:

W just asked what's gotten into me since I have been doing drive-bys and "have I been reading blogs about not getting sex" - If she figures out I have a plan or what I am doing, she will counter me and crush my plan (she's very good at winning). It is possible she saw the book order in my email (which would mean she is snooping) or I am just too obvious  :(

She can't crush your plan, because if it's done properly it's not about her. It's about you becoming awesome. She can come if she wishes.
    Insert witty, insightful signature here.
    DaveBowmanAngeline

I want the confidence/ability to control our sex sessions - to lead and be followed.

I want to turn my wife on, the way she turns me on. 

I want to work less and enjoy life more.

I want the resentment I have of my wife to disappear completely.

I want to get back in touch with my old friends.

MovingForward
    CaliLover said:

I want the confidence/ability to control our sex sessions - to lead and be followed.

This is more about your wife than it is about you.

This is going to be your Achilles heel.

Can I take a stab at it for you?

"In six months, I will lead the way at home and in the bedroom, live for today, forget about the past, reconnect, and have more fun."

I'd put some fitness stuff in there too.

CaliLoverTakingControl

@DaveBowman

I love it - I didn't quite get your question the first time - here's my 2nd shot:

In six months, I will be in great shape with an awesome sex life, a manageable, but still fast-growing business, and an active social life.

DaveBowmanTiberius
    CaliLover said:

@DaveBowman

I love it - I didn't quite get your question the first time - here's my 2nd shot:

In six months, I will be in great shape with an awesome sex life, a manageable,
    but still fast-growing business, and an active social life.

Better... But if you're married your sex life isn't 100% in your control.

I'd aim to be sexy... And spend some time thinking about what you want to get out of your sex life.

• ElaineElaine Silver Member Posts: 1,580
    CaliLover said:

This list is a good start.  So now you need to work on the steps required to get these things.  To start I'd suggest making some plans with your friends and plan some date nights with your wife.  Doing things you enjoy will give you a sense of confidence and happiness that will make you feel better about yourself and as a bonus will attract your wife.  As you get happier your resentment will lessen.  As your resentment lessens you will genuinely enjoy time with your wife more. 

I think once you lessen your work hours and spend more quality time with your wife and friends your outlook will drastically improve.  What steps do you think you need to take to achieve these goals?  You need to know what to do as well as what to avoid to make these goals your reality. Like for an example start playing basketball with old friends to get exercise and spend time with them, arrange a sitter for a few hours a day to allow your wife to work on her business while you are working.  That will free up more time to be together at night and will give her a break so it would be a win-win. You'll have to deicide what items are the most important and which ones you think will take the most time since time is your limiting factor right now.  What do you think it will take for you to work less hours?

Quick update - I've set up a regular mid-week outing for W & I to go out for dinner/drinks in the city (SF) or stay local or go shopping or do other stuff - just the two of us. I've also asked that we re-establish family dinners each week. These are now going to be built-in reasons to break from work. I'm also running regularly and will start weights after my next trip. Will keep you posted on how that progresses. thanks for all your help.
    ElaineSerenityMovingForward
    edited October 2013

So we went out last night for an early dinner and had a great time. We each had a few drinks and then came back and had a long and intense sex session. W is still pretty uptight, but after a drink or two, is much more relaxed in the bedroom. The same is true for me so I was very relaxed also bc I decided that she would own her orgasm and I'd just focus on getting to PT.

At some point, her desire for control had to emerge and as we're getting into it, she started questioning me about this new mid-week night out plan and if I will now always expect sex and that she wasn't on-board with that in general, how about when she's on her period, etc.? My reply was can't we just have fun tonight - stop worrying and just relax - and got right back into it.

This will surely lead to discussions ahead of and during our next night out about my expectations and what I expect will be her to attempt a pre-emptive shut down - "well I'm not always going to want to have sex or that's not part of the plan, etc., etc." I'm realizing that she can never feel like she's not in control of where, when, how, and why we have sex. It's an expectation that's been established over our marriage - I have a very long way to go.

She did tell me I have been looking good recently. Anyway, next week, I'll have some time to read the Primer and develop my MAP plan and will report back with comments, questions, and updates.

Serenity