What's for dinner? Recipes, please

MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
Inspired by @Ms_Fits cooking thread I'd like to ask you to share great, quick recipes.
What are your favourites?

I love cooking, I love eating and I love trying out new recipes - but lately life has become so stressful that I have been losing my cook-drive :-(
I just hurry home from work, do the grocery  on the way and then I toss together something that's supposed to be healthy, tasty and fast at the same time, before my son has to go to afternoon classes...  And in the evenings I cook again, because I know that my husband has had only a little snack for lunch.

Two  quick warm meals a day have used up my imagination!

I'm happy with all kinds of recipes: Paleo, Neolithic, low carb, high carb, Bollywood diet ;-) - it's all good!

I'll start with one of my family's favourite stews: I make it in the pressure cooker.

Cook sliced onions in oil, add cut beef and lots of sliced carrots. Season with salt, lots of pepper, fresh thyme (if available), a bay leaf, (I also toss in vegeta - a Croatioan blend of spices, don't know if that's available where you live) and add some red wine or good aceto balsamico. Close the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley. As a side dish I normally serve noodles (yes, I'm Austrian and not Paleo ;-) ) or potatoes.

Comments

• liquidliquid Brooklyn, NYSilver Member Posts: 1,785
    edited October 2013
    This is a soup that I make twice a month. It is based on a soup from a cookbook that called it something to do with Y2K...can't remember, but we call it Y2K Bean Soup. It uses some canned stuff, but you can get it all organic if you prefer, or you can make the beans,tomatoes,broth from scratch - it would probably taste awesome! But I just use the cans, as this is a quick meal to throw together.

Chop an onion and a stalk of celery, plus all the leaves. Cook in a biggish pot with swirl of olive oil and a pound of ground turkey. You can use ground beef, but we think it tastes better with turkey - a little lighter. When it is cooked, add 1 cup chopped carrots (more if you like - up to one pound)  2-14 oz cans of canned beans (we use small red, but you can use any kind) , 1-14 oz can of petite diced tomatoes, 1 quart vegetable broth, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp garlic powder (you can used chopped garlic instead and cook with the onion/celery, but we think this soup tastes better a little less garlicky than that). Bring it to a boil and then simmer for 45m or so. Add 1 cup of frozen corn and 1-2 yellow squash, chopped. Simmer for another 10-15m or so, till the squash is done.

We add a loaf of bakery semolina bread if anyone asks for bread. If they ask nicely, I'll make biscuits
    MariaPurpleRaspberry_rose
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited October 2013
    @longtimereader,
    are these recipes changed to "nordic" taste? I'm asking, because it's a twist to familiar meals.

Cheese with chicken soup is utterly alien to me - and I want to try it! (BTW I use chicken backs, celery, carrots, leek, onions,  some peppercorns and parsley root for chicken soup. I serve it with the meat and the sliced, cooked carrots, freshly chopped parsley and thin noodles, but now I think that's the boring version  ;-) )

I'll just post one of my favourite recipes - quick Cassoulet (again, cooked in the pressure cooker):

I cook onions, bacon and pork  in oil until golden brown, add white wine and sliced carrots, diced celery root, sliced smoked sausage (cabanossi) and tomato paste. I season with salt, pepper and herbs of choise, close the lid and cook for 20 minutes, then I add two sorts of canned beans (I use white beans and runner beans).

If we are in a hurry we eat it right away, but if there's enough time...

... I smear a casserole with butter and sprinkle it with breadcrumbs, pour in the stew and sprinkle the top with breadcrusts again. I then bake it until golden and crispy (about 30 minutes).

I'm feeling really hungry now!
    And the garlic idea is fantastic! I'll definitely try keeping crushed garlic in the fridge. Do you use glass jars (like those for jam)?

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
  • Secs_kittenSecs_kitten Alexandria, VirginiaMember Posts: 8
    This is our new favorite.  Using breast meat from a rotisserie chicken cuts down on the prep time.

Maria
  • jonnyboyjonnyboy Member Posts: 255
    All, let me point you to the following web site:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/

Its the BBC Good Food web site (as in UK BBC TV) - its all the recipes used on the BBC cooking shows, voted on by the UK people - has some very good stuff in there.

A word of warning - some of the recipes may not make sense - they are UK based so may have ingredients which are called something different in the states, and in specific measurements (we dont generally do "cups" out here).
    MariaWendy
  • picardpicard Silver Member Posts: 1,848
    Maria said:
    See, I do it the other way round most of the time: I go to the market (or supermarket) and have a look what's looking good, what's fresh and so on. Then I decide on what to cook.
    Love grocery shopping! The smell, texture and the colours of fruit and vegetables... I even enjoy the meat on display.
    Is that freaky?
    Nope, but I don't find the supermarket exciting for that as it's just terribly sterile and bland. Saturday mornings at the farmers market though, definitely!

Maria
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045
    edited October 2013
    I like to find recipes that sound good and send them to my wife.  This is my latest.  I'm really hoping this one makes it's way to our kitchen soon:

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

1 + 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed  

olive oil, for sauteing
    1 small onion, diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    coarse salt and fresh black pepper
    *1 can (4 ounce) fire roasted jalapenos(hotter) or green chiles(mild)
    1 pound ground beef or lamb
    2 teaspoons chile powder
    1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, crushed between fingertips
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 can (14.5 ounce) petite diced tomatoes, drained of their juices
    2 cups fresh shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons heavy cream or whole milk
    fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped, for garnish

Instructions

1. Add the sweet potatoes to a large saucepan with enough water to cover the potatoes completely. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until tender.
    2. Meanwhile in a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium low heat. Add the onion, pepper and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook 7-8 minutes, stirring often. Add the green chiles and cook 2-3 more minutes. Remove the vegetables to a small bowl and set aside.
    3. Turn the heat up to medium and add the ground meat, cook, breaking it apart until completely browned. Drain off the grease. Mix in the chile powder, oregano and cumin. Season well with salt and pepper. Mix in the cooked vegetables and the tomatoes. Cook 10 minutes stirring often. Taste and season as needed.
    4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Put a large cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch drips. Butter a 9x9-inch casserole or baking dish or a 9-inch deep dish pie pan.
    5. Drain the sweet potatoes and add them to a large bowl with the butter and heavy cream. Season well with salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher. Mix in 1 cup of the cheddar.
    6. Add the ground meat mixture evenly over the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese over top. Spoon the mashed potatoes evenly over top.
    7. Bake 30 minutes. Let set 5-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

Notes

*For a spicier heat use fresh red chile peppers instead, chipotle peppers in adobo or cayenne pepper.

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

SugarAndSpiceMaria[Deleted User]Wendy
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    I haven't cooked much lately because of having a new baby, but trying to work on it.. So i made a coup;e things today i never made before. Why new things? Because a friend of mine got a veggie co-op box and passed along the "weird" things she didn't want to use. Eggplant and celery root.  

Now Eggplant I haven't been a fan of my whole life but there are a couple ways I will eat it. I decided to go with eggplant parmesan. I've never done breading before, but I knew how, so went at it without looking it up. baked it a bit on a cookie sheet then decided to jsut throw them in a baking pan with sauce and finish them up that way. I have to say, I'm fairly impressed with how they came out.

As for the celery root, I had to look up what you do with that. one thing was a potato and celery root based soup., I boiled both peeled and chopped (and a couple garlic cloves) in milk and water, then when they were nice and soft, put it all through the food processor to make the soup base. added salt, pepper, leeks and chopped carrots. Even my kids love it, which I wasn't expecting!
    Maria
  • AvalinetteAvalinette In the kitchenSilver Member Posts: 1,316
    edited October 2013
    The other night, we were having mince and I wanted to do something a bit more special without extra effort so I did an experiment that worked out well.

I boiled a big pot of water on the stove with a lot of salt, some pepper and some rice wine vinegar (cause it's what we had in the cupboard)

My chunk of mince was still half frozen. I used a knife to cut it up into little squares and dropped the squares slowly into the boiling water (so it stayed boiling the whole time). I was thinking something like meatballs without having to actually form the meatballs because that takes forever.

I added chopped leeks, thin sliced carrot rounds and cabbage (because that's the veg I had to use up) and left it all to boil for a while (maybe half an hour).

Then when H got home I threw in some rice noodles, gave it a minute or two and served up.

It was delicious and a little quirky and different to usual. The salted water flavored the meatballs (meat cubes) just fine so it didn't matter that I hadn't made them properly. I think more Asian type flavors would work well too for next time.
    Maria
    That sounds great!
    I haven't got this mysterious, amazing crock pot, but I'll try the same with my "normal" stewpot.

I'm cooking a similar dish with dismembered chicken, onions, garlic and all kinds of veggies (potatoes, carrots, peppers,...) wine and herbs in a big skillet in the oven.
    AlphaBelle
    We had Hungarian goulash a la Szegedin yesterday.
    I cooked lots of onions, garlic, bacon and diced pork  golden in lard (or oil), caramelised a bit of sugar, added good vinegar, caraway, a bay leave, salt, pepper and sauerkraut. As soon as the meat is soft I stirred in cream and added seasoning to taste. This dish is one of those that get better every time you reheat it.

That's my daughter's favourite autumn/winter dish, it's cheap, fast and the sauerkraut provides lots of vitamins to get you through the cold season. You can serve it with dumplings, bread, potatoes or pasta - it's all good.
    AlphaBelleHildaCorners
  • neenneen Member Posts: 3,390
    nothing makes me stronger than your fragile heart
    MariaAlphaBelleWendy
    Here is a samosa recipe .....I only make these on NYE. Just very time consuming. http://www.sailusfood.com/2010/03/18/samosa/
    [Deleted User]frillyfun
  • Raspberry_roseRaspberry_rose USASilver Member Posts: 994
    IGood stir fried veggies and rice.
    1. Cook rice using soup or soup stock for water. If you haven't any stock, toss in chopped veggies (onion, carrots, celery, etc) and salt when you first start boiling water.
    2. While this is cooking, make the stirfry. Start with a base of garlic and ginger in oil, then add some soy sauce and honey. Add your veggies. Serve.
    MarianeenWendy
    edited November 2013
    This is a side dish that I make to go with pork chops if I don't serve cranberry sauce. I'm not sure of the official name...I'll call in Pineapple casserole. Turn on oven to 350-8x8 glass Pyrex ---- 1 can pineapple tid bits/small pack shredded sharp cheddar cheese/1/2 cup sugar/1/3 cup flour mix together-crumble a sleeve of ritz crackers on top and drizzle a little melted butter -bake 20 min.
    MariaWinter
  • RosesRoses USASilver Member Posts: 720
    Meatless, because we don't always have that much $$.
    Mexican Casserole
    For two 9"x11" pans:
    Pinto beans, four cups, soaked and cooked, or four cans drained and rinsed.  (Or whatever bean you have on hand: black, navy . . .)
    2 pounds monterrey jack cheese, grated.  (Or pepper Jack.  Or cheddar.)
    corn tortillas.
    2 cans enchilada sauce or make your own.  (I use two cans tomato sauce, add cumin, garlic powder, and cilantro if in season, coriander if not, or even tomatoes or tomatillas when I have them.)
    Layer tortillas, beans, sauce and cheese.  Repeat.  On top layer tortillas, sauce and cheese.  Repeat with second pan.  Bake at 350 F until cheese is melted, about twenty minutes.
    If you are really cheap like me, cook up lots and lots of beans, and freeze them for the next time: canned beans are expensive and dry beans are slow.
    Feeds ten or so, depending on how hungry they are.
    neenAlphaBellefrillyfunshibari
  • liquidliquid Brooklyn, NYSilver Member Posts: 1,785
    neen said:
    Here is a samosa recipe .....I only make these on NYE. Just very time consuming. http://www.sailusfood.com/2010/03/18/samosa/
    I have learned to make a decent Tandoori Chicken and Chicken Tikka Masala, but when my husband or I want samosas, we go out. Yum. Now I want samosas!

neenAlphaBelleWendy
  • WendyWendy Gold Women Zen Garden Posts: 1,371
    my basic marinade for roasted chicken:  1 large onion or 2 medium, 2 shallots, 1 tbsp garlic paste or 3 fresh cloves of garlic, the juice of 2 large yellow lemons, salt and pepper to taste (or 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper for 1 cut up chicken).  blend all of that and add water if it's too thick, I usually add about 1 cup of water. 

Then just marinade your chicken all you want.  Do it overnight, or I've done as little as 1 hour when in a pinch.  Then just brush your chicken pieces with olive oil before sticking in the oven to roast.  I leave a decent amount of this marinade in the baking dish while baking to keep the chicken moist.
    Maria
  • WendyWendy Gold Women Zen Garden Posts: 1,371
    the easiest and laziest thing I've ever made in a crockpot is just put some boneless, skinless chicken pieces in there with your favorite barbecue sauce.  Done!