What's for dinner? Recipes, please

Comments

• MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited March 26
    @Templar said:
    Grilling a prime rib on Easter. Trying to come up with new, tasty side dishes. Have cooked taters every way imaginable, done the green beans with bacon and onions, asparagus with leeks, broccoli everyway imaginable. Any one have tasty ideas that won't keep us in the kitchen for hours?

You could try medieval onions (yes, it's really a recipe from the middle age!)
    Cook onion rings in oil until they are golden brown. Glace with two spoons of honey and cook until honey is making bubbles. Pour cream over everything and salt/pepper to your taste.

Or Mangold a la Croatia, cooked with olive oil, garlic, pignolia, lemon juice, feta cheese and dried apricots.

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    TemplarfrillyfunTenneemaverick
  • TemplarTemplar WashingtonSilver Member Posts: 3,371
    My son learned in his high school culinary class to make B sprouts in a way that he, the wife and I enjoy. Unfortunately, eldest son and the daughter aren't on board even with  pancetta and balsamic vinegar.
    The onions sound great! And given the simplicity, I believe you that it is medieval. Wife and I used to do medieval re-enactment and she did most of the cooking for the group. Too bad I didn't have that recipe back then!
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    Tenneemaverickfrillyfun
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    I know you probably don't need another potato recipe, but these are my favorites:
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/

Creamed spinach is a steak house staple.  For Christmas Eve I do prime rib with very simple steamed artichokes.
    MariaTenneeTemplar
    Wife chose the medieval onions (great, easy recipe and yum!). Son #2 went with au gratin potatoes with this really rich sauce he learned in culinary class. I have to admit, I ate only a small amount of the sides, though. Besides the Prime Rib, a friend had bought a leg of lamb that was far to big for their family and surprised us with a portion of that. Lamb on the grill, prime rib went in the oven and it all ended up in my stomach. mmmmmmmmmmmmm The rest of these ideas will be retained for further use!
    TenneeMariaHildaCorners
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    Here's one that most kids like. My youngest made it today. 

Chicken Skillet Dinner
    ingredients;
    2-3 chicken breasts cubed 1/2"-3/4"
    2 tbsp cooking oil
    1-10 oz can chicken broth 
    6 oz miracle whip salad dressing
    1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
    2 cups minute rice 
    1cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1tomato, diced
    1/3 green pepper diced
    1/3 red pepper diced
    1celery stalk 
    2 green onions (optional).

In a large skillet add oil and chicken. Cook 8-10 minutes until browned. Add diced tomato and other vegetables for last 2-3 of cooking. 

In a 2 cup measuring cup pour in broth. Add miracle whip until at 2 cups. Add chili powder and whisk together. 
    Add to chicken and vegetables, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. 

Remove from heat, stir in rice, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes, sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, cover and let stand an additional 5 minutes. 
    Serves 3-5 people. 

For leftovers (if any) wrap in a soft tortilla shell and take it to work. 

maverickMariafrillyfun
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I have two real easy semi-recipes for sides.

When I moved into my current apartment, the previous tenant left a small cast iron skillet. It looked unused ... I'm breaking it in. So, for recipe #1: cube potatoes (3/8" or so) and fry in cast iron and oil with a dash of salt. The trick is in the method ... don't stir too often, and let them brown thoroughly. Ensign Corners loves these. [I make them for myself with sweet potatoes, though they burn more easily.]

The second recipe is part of a larger recipe in The Four Hour Chef. Take broccoli and chop it very finely — I use my food processor, Tim Ferriss used an immersion blender, or you could use a knife. Using a little oil, fry/roast in a non-stick pan until it browns slightly. I'm playing with seasonings: Tim mixed it with chopped avocado and lime, I tried soy sauce and sesame oil ... both are yummy. I need to try this method with cauliflower.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Maria
  • mrsozzymrsozzy texasGold Women Posts: 1,950
    I just got an Instant Pot. I'm looking for EASY recipes for it, preferably paleo-ish and with 6 or fewer ingredients. 
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    edited April 13
    Sweet!!!!!  Spaghetti squash cooks in 5 minutes.  Cut the squash in half, and scoop out the seeds.  Put a cup of water in the bottom of the pot, the squash on top.  Put the lid on, and set the timer for 5 minutes.  When it beeps release the steam, and you're all set.

It takes a while for it to come up to pressure, and 3-4 minutes for the pressure to release.  I add about 30 minutes to the cooking time so I can figure out when dinner will be ready.  Some recipes take less than 30 minutes to come up to pressure, but that's been pretty standard for the stuff that I cook.

I like the Hip Pressure cooking website- she's great.
    http://www.hippressurecooking.com/

Her risotto recipe is really easy, and good.

There's also an Instant Pot community on Facebook.  They'll jam your feed full of stuff.  I had to leave the group because there were a bazillion posts, but a few days there will give you some good info.

Angelinemrsozzy
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    Lately I have been terrible about meal planning. I generally check Facebook for a little while over my lunch break and find a few food videos. I think, hey I could do that, and bam -- dinner! Last night I sizzled up some cauliflower steaks with tomato-and-shallot sauce that I whirred up in my blender. Served up next to grilled chicken breasts, it looked super fancy and tasted very yum!
    Enneagram type 9w1
    AngelinefrillyfunWinterMaria
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    Someone sent me that exact recipe! I'm looking forward to trying it.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
  • GeekengineerGeekengineer Sandy EggoGold Men Posts: 1,720
    JellyBean said:
    Lately I have been terrible about meal planning. I generally check Facebook for a little while over my lunch break and find a few food videos. I think, hey I could do that, and bam -- dinner! Last night I sizzled up some cauliflower steaks with tomato-and-shallot sauce that I whirred up in my blender. Served up next to grilled chicken breasts, it looked super fancy and tasted very yum!
    It was excellent!

JellyBean is my wife.
    TemplarAngelinefrillyfun42andatowel
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    @Kiche said:
    I love my veggies, but frankly squash is defeating me. I haven't found an awesome recipe yet...

Not a huge fan of squash myself, but I looooove the Hokkaido variety!
    My favourite recipe is Hokkaido soup - it's super easy and quick and I haven't eaten a better one yet.

Cook sliced onions in oil,
    add cubed Hokkaido squash with skin,
    season with salt and pepper,
    add sweet cream.
    Cook until squash is tender and blend to a creamy consistence.

That's it.

Whenever I tried to improve on it by adding different spices, ginger, carrots, whatever - I come back to the simple original.

I also bake Hokkaido in the oven. I cut it in thin slices, season them in balsamico and roast them until brown and tender. Yummy!
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    telyni
  • RosesRoses USASilver Member Posts: 720
    It's baseball season, which means we're eating in the cars five days a week, for the next four weeks or so.
    So what are your best fill teens up on the run recipes?
    Wraps are great for teens - tortilla filled with meat (cold cuts or things like flank steak), veggies, +/- lettuce, rice, etc. Meat pasty's are also great.
    Roses
  • RosesRoses USASilver Member Posts: 720
    Not fussy unless I give them permission. We've had very little money most of their lives, so they know that the option is eat what's available or go hungry.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Some of them I'm at a loss as to how to hold at temperature from when we leave home around three until we want to eat around six. Cold grilled cheese just doesn't sound good.