Roses' MAP

Comments

• RosesRoses USASilver Member Posts: 720
    @Frillyfun To make $100 a week the easiest thing would be more students. I have two, at $30/hour, and they come to my house, so there's only taxes between gross and net. Five more would make $105, since most students do half-hour lessons. The only problem is I don't know how to successfully advertise or how many more potential students are in the area looking for a teacher. I am listed with the local music stores as a teacher. Because I play in the symphony the university prof knows me and sends people my way. That hasn't amounted to very many.
    Agree, @Purple I can't fix him. But I can believe it's him and really, certainly, not me, if that makes any sense. Everyone has always agreed-including his parents and siblings-that he has a brilliant memory. It's really hard to get out of the habit of defering to his recollections.  Add to that my zero face memory . . . I have little confidence my mind is telling me truth.
    I may need to drop the co-op at the end of the year (runs Sept-May). I've loved having the kids there, but it doesn't seem like a very good fit in some ways, not least of which that it turns Thursdays into Mondays. But it's also really been eye opening in seeing how other families interact. (Possibly my husband's biggest 'mistake' in not rocking his boat was telling me I should look at what other home schooling women's husbands are doing. It's one thing to see it on the forum, where I know most relationships aren't working right, and another to see it in relationships that are.)
    Someone asked where I got nine hours for public school and homework. Assuming an average one hour of homework, the school busses come by at seven am and four pm. Did I add wrong?
    I feel guilty because my kids don't do nearly as many extra curriculars as I did. Like they're missing out on things they should be getting.
    My older two have been doing an entrepreneurship unit through co-op and probably have most of the necessary skills in their box, or will by the end of the year. Oldest wants to sell his drawings, second wants to cook special order take out meals.  (14&12, not quite realistic here.)  I bake all our bread. Maybe that would be a product to start with. I have no idea if anyone would buy it: I never see anyone eating home made bread. I looked into what a farmer's market booth would cost a couple years ago-we often have extra eggs, and dang are they expensive. Seems like you need several thousand to really start anything.
    I'll look into the cottage kitchen thing, I think that passed a couple years ago here but I have some recollection it only applies to canned goods . . .
    Purple
    Yeah, the gaslighting thing.  I'm re-examining a lot of things in light of that. Was anything ever real?
    JellyBean
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    @Roses I totally agree with @Purple. With our kids we found the more extracurricular activities they had, the less inclined they seemed to put full effort into them. When they were young, they were into quite a few activities all of which costs $$$. We as parents wanted to give them those things but when they started wanting to miss an activity here and there and saw the interest drop (most of the time quite quickly), we put an end to it. They were allowed to chose one activity per year and if they didn't want to do it or any of the volunteer work associated with it, they were done. 

I brought up the fact with my wife that having two girls in competitive gymnastics was easing costing us $10k/year after taxes and that didn't include the $$ spent on gas driving 6days a week. The girls were also told that if these activities affect their grades in school the activities would be dropped. 

We we see some parents at the gym that seem to live vicariously through their children. They have them enrolled in so many things that the kids don't have time to really develop in any of the activities. 

I will admit that I broke that rule for my youngest this year by signing her up for Krav Maga but I knew that martial arts and gymnastics truly compliment each other in regards to training and motivation. Our oldest daughter (gr 10) wanted to go as well which was ok as she had been doing nothing for a year and we figured she would quit right away because the training is very demanding. They both love it and my oldest who had been getting too heavy according to her Dr, has lost a significant amount of weight and actually said to my wife, "I can't believe you just let me lay around my room for a year."

As for your husband, you need to put your foot down!! My wife did it with my drinking about 20 years ago and I have stayed sober. I still will have a few but that is rare and quite honestly I don't miss it and my wife KNOWS how I now feel about my drunken past. My wife gave me the "its me or the booze, you decide," ultimatum. I made the right choice.

I think your story supports doing the same but if you do, you better be willing to back it up. My wife (gf at the time) was dead serious and I knew it. We are both happy with the result. 
    Purple
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    When you have a lot of kids and live far out of town (I think Roses has both), even one activity per kid per year can be too much.

Unless a kid has a true passion for something, I'd limit *myself* to 3 extracurriculars per week. By "myself", I mean I will drive to and be a volunteer parent for no more than three activities per week, for all the kids combined.

The kids can help decide, but one might be Scouts (for all the kids who can attend meetings at that time), another might be performance based (for all the kids old enough), and maybe your rec center has 2-3 interesting activities at the same time. So you're making three weekly trips to town and any interested kids can attend any combo of those activities.

As I said, if one kid has a true, serious passion for something, that's an exception. So in addition to the three family activities, Kid #1 gets to attend her trombone lessons, and Kid #3 goes to a science class at the community college.

Roses, I think 80% of your troubles are because you're running so fast managing your family that you don't have time to figure out how to make things better.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    PurpleJellyBeanRoses
    14 year old wants to be a professional ballet dancer.  His instructor (trained in the old Soviet school) thinks he has what it takes. (To the level of I dropped son off for class, instructor came out to the car saying 'I need to talk with you about your son's future in ballet.')  Ballet for him alone is every day but Sunday right now-Nutcracker recitals are next week. He understands that like pro-sports this is a young person's career and we've talked a little about the need to plan for a second career when he hits mid-thirties. We're (son and I, husband will be invited but we're doing this with or without him) going to have a sit down with his instructor after the Nutcracker and get the options laid out.
    They all (oldest 5) take dance. Two of them (the two who most need the excercise, naturally) don't like it.
    They all take music-Children's Choir and private lessons. (Oldest four in choir, oldest five in private lessons.)
    The older two are active in DeMolay.
    Then there's Church, homeschool co-op, 4-H . . . okay, yeah, I get the point. If I say no I feel guilty. How will they know what they like if they don't try things? And I did ALL the things, so how can I say no to them doing all the things just because they have siblings? I'll have to work that out in my own head.
    Same with husband's issues. And I need to get some mental support in place for me first, I think. I love you guys and all, but I really think that I need a professional in on my side of dealing with this because it's a big this and I'm second guessing myself so much. The thing that's always a hold-back is we need guns here: you can't call anyone for a rattler on the porch and if a cougar grabs your toddler the kid'll be dead before fish and game arrives. (This actually happens, for y'all city folks.) You never know what someone's biases are going in.
    Chickens, up to six hens, no roosters, are allowed in town here, but most people don't bother. One of the music teachers takes $5 off every other lesson for a carton of eggs, and there are only a couple months in the summer when we have a lot more extras. We don't have a fancy coop.
    What's unrealistic about 14 year old selling his drawings is that he's had minimal art classes because while he likes art and has a good eye he doesn't enjoy being told how/what to do, and he's not very good. He doesn't know perspective, shadows . . . I'm not a talented artist (my mom's insistance aside) but I did take four years of classes and his stuff is just kid drawing, not art. I'm happy for him to try and to learn from it, but anyone with a pencil can do what he does.
    Last night instead of sending kids to bed, husband unlocked the computers, so when I walked in at ten-thirty (symphony dress rehersal) the kids were up gaming. He 'wanted to play with them.' Since he doesn't suffer the bad behavior resulting the next day, he doesn't care. His solution to cranky kids is to turn on the tv and computers again.
    Am I out of line to change the admin password and refuse to give him the new one so he can't let them keep gaming, and to do something similar to the wii on the tv?
  • samsonsamson UKSilver Member Posts: 101
    Changing the password wouldn't solve the problem you have to get the behaviour changed. 
    Tennee
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Definitely Awesome!

As for the kids ... in my (excellent) school district, starting in middle school the kids are given paper planners and taught to use them. It's possible to get very inexpensive student planners online if you look a bit. Do I see a holiday present here?

When I was managing my family, I bought one of these every year:

The calendar has space for 5 people's info, and comes with lots of fun and useful stickers. The stickers make it easy for even little kids to put their events up. There's not a lot of writing space, and you'd need 2 calendars, @Roses (or deputize a kid to make one like this, or buy a large white board "month").

Once the calendar is in place, announce in your best Captain's voice: Starting now, everyone is responsible for putting their events on the calendar. If it's not on the calendar, it doesn't exist. If there's a conflict with another event, work it out with the other person. If you need a driver, get their agreement before you put your event on the calendar. If the stickers/writing sticks disappear, nobody goes anywhere until they are found. This applies to *everyone* in the household, including adults.

Then be a bit hard-ass about following the rules (with exceptions for unplanned medical things.)

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    PurpleGraceyJellyBeanWinter
    We do something like with google's calander app, but grounded kids don't have access . . . I used to use one of those big paper calanders, the huge kind that admin assistants use. I will put that on the shopping list.
  • PurplePurple Silver Member Posts: 793
    Great update @Roses.

I second the calendar. I printed out a little weekly planner I found on Pinterest and put it in a page protector sleeve and put it on the fridge. Every Sunday I write down (with dry erase marker) what is going on for the week and in the "notes" next to the weekly boxes, I write down upcoming events. I started this because I couldn't keep track of one kid's events, plus birthdays, my doctor appointments, etc. Its helped A LOT. I manage it myself, but we can (and do) all refer to it as needed. Everything is winding down for Christmas so it looks so weird and empty right now :lol:

I was actually just on Pinterest again searching for a similar weekly dinner menu template. I find this type of approach massively helpful.

Your older kids; get them a yearly planner. You should be able to find them fairly cheap somewhere (Amazon?). We were taught to use them starting in the 7th grade. @HildaCorners has me thinking that maybe I should get myself one for the new year, actually... could make my life easier. I enjoy the feeling of organization that it lends to my life, and as my kids get older and are wanting to get more involved in things, I think I am going to NEED a yearly planner just to keep my sanity. I literally don't know how you've managed.

There is joy in this path, too.

Angeline
    Here's a site offering really cheap student planners, $3.00 or so each:
    http://www.schoolmate.com/student-planners/

I have no affiliation with them, never bought from them ... they came up first in my Google search.

These planners are intended to be ordered in bulk by a school, but there's no reason a home-school group can't put together an order ... or buy the undated planners and use them up over the years. Or even donate half the order to charity ... even $6.00 is cheap for a planner these days.

Managing a schedule/appointments/commitments is another one of those adult skills kids need to learn.

JellyBean
    @Purple the google calander app. That's how I manage. Most of the kids' activities have regular schedules that I program in. So are Mom's and mine. Dad just adds medical stuff, or more likely I do, and he complains he can't get it to work.  Husband sometimes puts medical stuff on (he doesn't do anything but work). The only problems are when there's an extra thing and no one puts it in. I have it programed to remind me half an hour in advance by default, but add a reminder a week in advance for things like birthdays.

@JellyBean so in every activity there are parents who do more than their share, and there are parents who are freeloaders. How do you figure out where the elusive place called fair share is?
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    Do I enjoy it regardless of whether other people are coasting? I'll do it. Am I going to resent it? I won't do it.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    WinterBeatriceSignorePillolaRossaPurple