How to get boyfriend to stop being a coward?

I'm 22 and he's 23 and we've been dating for 3.5 years. Pretty good relationship just minor things to work on. One such thing is the fact the he is the biggest chicken which is obviously a huge DLV and a complete turnoff to me. He is afraid to go past his knees in the ocean, to sit outside when he can even hear thunder, of most animals including pet dogs, of scary movies, of going within 15 feet of the woods if it's dark, of upside down roller coasters, of having his window even cracked open at night for fear of robbers (we live in a safe area), and on and on. And it's not like he's just cautious and will do them even if he's afraid, he freaks out if I try to get him to do any of them. He doesn't have a mental disorder or anything, I think it's just that his parents coddled him instead of telling him to grow a pair when he was growing up. 

One time I suggested we go parasailing over the ocean and he said no way that's too high up and it's over the big scary ocean. I rolled my eyes (which I never do), shook my head, and walked off. He asked, "Are you just sick of it? Of me being scared all the time?". I said no and changed the subject because I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I know that he knows I don't like that he's a wuss. 

I feel like it'd be a little harsh to say, "Oh by the way, you being a pussy just dries mine right up. Cut it out or else,". Any advice on how to get him to quit being a chicken and man up without being mean? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Frank_LondonFrank_London in transitSilver Member Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2013
    > He may have been "normal" but by now he'd need years of therapy to be "fixed".

Based on the above, this isn't true.
    And by the way, while I think of it

> He doesn't have a mental disorder or anything

This may or may not be true. A professional really needs to make that call.
    [Deleted User]LouiseMonkeys_UncleJohn3
  • OneEyedDrunkOneEyedDrunk Out West Silver Member Posts: 1,808
    anonymous said:
    I'm 22 and he's 23 and we've been dating for 3.5 years. Pretty good relationship just minor things to work on. One such thing is the fact the he is the biggest chicken which is obviously a huge DLV and a complete turnoff to me. He is afraid to go past his knees in the ocean, to sit outside when he can even hear thunder, of most animals including pet dogs, of scary movies, of going within 15 feet of the woods if it's dark, of upside down roller coasters, of having his window even cracked open at night for fear of robbers (we live in a safe area), and on and on. And it's not like he's just cautious and will do them even if he's afraid, he freaks out if I try to get him to do any of them. He doesn't have a mental disorder or anything, I think it's just that his parents coddled him instead of telling him to grow a pair when he was growing up. 

One time I suggested we go parasailing over the ocean and he said no way that's too high up and it's over the big scary ocean. I rolled my eyes (which I never do), shook my head, and walked off. He asked, "Are you just sick of it? Of me being scared all the time?". I said no and changed the subject because I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I know that he knows I don't like that he's a wuss. 

I feel like it'd be a little harsh to say, "Oh by the way, you being a pussy just dries mine right up. Cut it out or else,". Any advice on how to get him to quit being a chicken and man up without being mean? 

He does sound coddled. He needs friends that do many things to chastise him if he comes off pansy. Also, give him lots of hints that you want to do fun stuff. Take him to the gun range, and get really fucking hot for him that nit after he fires a gun. Don't fire it too much. Let him show you how to shoot when you "miss".

Essentially, he needs to alpha up. He needs to go do manly things, and that's what it comes down to. I understand the whole not rolling down window thing. However, I'm a victim of a carjacking from when I was younger, and carry a gun pretty regularly. Of course, I'm not scared really. I just don't want to put myself in a situation where I have to send some gangbanger to meet Jesus.

Give him the chance to do some daredevil things. It might take some time. Think of the guy played by Jeff Goldblum in Independence Day. Will Smith is definitely very alpha,NAND Goldblum is a beta schlub. In the end he embraces some alpha concepts, and his ex-wife is totally hot for him. He needs that chance to interact with someone like that. Maybe make him watch Dirty Harry movies, Band of Brothers, etc.

Get him out to alpha up a little. My wife and I were dating, and I think what attracted her to me was I had guns, I went shooting,mans she didn't. She was a theatre geek with a ton of pansy friends. I told her in no uncertain terms we would have guns, our kids would learn to shoot, and that was life.

Looking back on this I can see this was something she was very attracted to about me. We had an incident where I almost had to shoot someone (pursuit suspect hiding next door). She was SO hot for me after I showed the family how to I could protect everyone. I told the cops if that guy would have come over, then he would have got Glocked.

oneeyeddrunk.weebly.com
  • SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358
    Agree with @Angeline. This really isn't a minor issue.

I'd be interested in hearing more.

You can download the free Forum Orientation booklet and answer the Triage questions here for more detailed advice.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum.  :)
  • LouiseLouise EnglandSilver Member Posts: 1,622
    Could you maybe start by just getting him to do one of the things he's scared of - what about going in the ocean for instance?  Can he swim?  if not, could you persuade him to have swimming lessons?

I think it would be best to be honest and admit to him that him being frightened of everything is a bit of a turn off, otherwise he doesn't really have much incentive to make the effort to change.  

I'm not convinced though that it isn't some kind of mental disorder - most children, however coddled, aren't usually frightened of anything and everything.  This sounds rather drastic to me.
    PhoenixDown[Deleted User]JoannaLiquidSound
  • RemusRemus NY,NYSilver Member Posts: 382
    Please listen to the people saying he needs to seek treatment.  This is an anxiety disorder and no amount of manning up or adding alpha is going to help.

So the big questions are 

1) will he listen to you and go seek treatment?  Given that he's scared of everything he's going to need a lot of support probably just to start going

2) Are you willing to be with him through what could be a long and difficult process?  You are 22.  Is he giving you enough else of what you want that its worth being his support network through all this?  If he's made it this far without getting help, its unlikely his parents can help him through it because they don't see it or were unwilling to do something about it.
    Josh[Deleted User]PaleoDad
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    anonymous said:
    Any advice on how to get him to quit being a chicken and man up without being mean? 

Honestly, there's probably none that would work without hurting his feelings.

Just show / email him the thread.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

newredpillrecruitPhoenixDown[Deleted User]PaleoDad
  • BetaGeekBetaGeek Bringing the good betaSilver Member Posts: 1,530
    To answer the question:

Don't try to fix him.
    Stop dating him.
    Do NOT marry him.
    It's good beta.
    AlphaBelleredheaded_womanthemacnut
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045
    "Are you just sick of it? Of me being scared all the time?"

Reply:  "I'm not, but my vagina sure its."
    Seriously. Say something like that to him.  He clearly has an inkling that his behavior is turning you off, and you are going out of your way let him off the hook.  What's more, you are being dishonest with him.  He may or may not change if you are honest about your feelings, but I promise you he won't change if you keep lying to him about it.

I don't know if it's a mental issue or if you are just dating a giant pussy.  But if you want to stay with him, you definitely need to push him to overcome his fears.   Maybe plan a trip to the amusement park with some friends and let him know he's not invited because you would be embarrassed for them to see his reaction to a roller coaster.   He needs to have an eye opening experience about this.

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    @Chief - they're dating, not married.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    AlphaBelle[Deleted User]
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    BetaGeek said:
    To answer the question: Don't try to fix him. Stop dating him. Do NOT marry him.
    Well, I agree with the "Don't try to fix him" and "do not marry" part. Don't marry him until he seriously fixes this issue with a therapist, and don't take any "I'll change" promises. Then decide how long you're willing to wait for him to fix it. 

Monkeys_Uncle
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045
    At this point, none of us have nearly enough insight into these people's lives to claim to know whether she should try to work through this with him or cut him loose.   However, if she wants to attempt to improve the relationship rather than end it, I think the forum could offer some good advice (and already has).

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

[Deleted User]SerenityHildaCorners
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    I have a very different take on this than everyone else so far.

I don't think the issue is that he is afraid, I think the issue is that you aren't afraid. You are a risk taker dating a non-risk taker.

I think you're bored and that's what is drying up your attraction.

1. He is afraid to go past his knees in the ocean,

~why does this matter? Do you regularly visit the ocean and do you swim in it?

2. to sit outside when he can even hear thunder,

~why does this matter? If it's going to storm, why would one want to sit outside?

3. of most animals including pet dogs,

~do you have pets that he refuses to be around?

4. of scary movies,

~you could go with other people to see them

5. of going within 15 feet of the woods if it's dark,

~do you like to camp? I'm trying to figure out what you are really missing out on if he doesn't like the woods at night.

6. of upside down roller coasters,

~why does this matter? It doesn't stop you from riding one.

7. of having his window even cracked open at night for fear of robbers (we live in a safe area),

~again, why does this matter??

So, you need to decide if you are ok living life with a non-adventurous guy or if you need adventure / thrill / risk to be happy. It's ok if you do, but own that aspect of yourself and make sure you seek out a kindred spirit in your next relationship.
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    PhoenixDown[Deleted User][Deleted User]BetaGeekFlaming_Man_of_IronPaleoDad
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    @Redpillwifey Not in my mind.

We don't live near an ocean so when we go to the beach, I play in the tide but I don't swim in it. She didn't say he won't swim in a swimming pool. Who cares if he won't swim in the ocean unless they live there and she swims in it every day.

Nobody has to go to the woods in the dark....unless you're camping. I don't camp - there's no plug for my curling iron.

I don't ride roller coasters and neither does my husband. I tried, hated it and will never do it again. There's no reason she can't ride one without him if she wants.

If she said he couldn't leave his house for fear of being around other people, my advice would be different....but none of the things she listed are essential to living a happy, fulfilled life with a good job and friends.

"Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    Monkeys_Uncle[Deleted User][Deleted User]