How to get boyfriend to stop being a coward?

Comments

• redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    I still think part of the problem is that she's bored. Clearly if she wants to go parasailing she's looking for excitement.

Just like finding someone who is intellectually compatible, I think it's important to find somebody who has similar levels of interest in adventure and trying new things.

"Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    [Deleted User]Persephone
  • John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396

@Redheaded_Woman I would agree that she has excitement on her mind...and he doesn't, and that is going to be an ongoing problem, particularly because she has identified it as a problem, and now is going to find it whenever she is with him. 

I'm just noticing on this thread...sometimes we talk directly to the OP about their issues, and sometimes we strictly talk to each other, leaving the OP out of it.  I'm not sure what to think about that, but after the "Closing 911" posts, I'm more sensitive to it.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    PhoenixDownHildaCorners
  • TPokeTPoke OklahomaSilver Member Posts: 711
    edited November 2013
    This scaredy cat issue seems to be something that the FOs understand, while us guys won't get it. I'm not going to judge them as being shallow as long as they tolerate my not being attracted to overweight ladies.

Now excuse me while I go work on my masculine, dangerous, death machine motorcycle. B-)
    EightbitPaleoDad
    Also, we're still only getting one side and we're reading things into her words.

She didn't say he's afraid of the dark. She said he won't go into the woods in the dark.

She didn't say he's afraid of water. She said he won't swim in the ocean.

She didn't say he ran away from dogs. We don't know if he just won't pet them or if he does run away.

Not enough information in her post to know if it's really all about him.
    [Deleted User]PersephoneJoanna
  • Frank_LondonFrank_London in transitSilver Member Posts: 1,853
    She didn't say he's afraid of the dark.

Yes, she she did. She explicitly said it's fear. Here's the OP:
    He is afraid to go past his knees in the ocean, to sit outside when he can even hear thunder, of most animals including pet dogs, of scary movies, of going within 15 feet of the woods if it's dark
    they're dating, not married.

As an aside, I find the dismissive approach to non-married relationship problems on this site appalling.

JellyBeanPhoenixDownTPokeOlddogBetaGeek[Deleted User]Flaming_Man_of_IronDarkhanyniaPersephone
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    Try agreeing and amplifying for a few days...see where that gets you.  

My take on the un-marrieds is that they're here for help.  It's not a breakup forum.  All of us who have been married for a long time want to pass along the lessons we had to learn the hard way, but if it was a deal breaker she wouldn't be here.
  • Monkeys_UncleMonkeys_Uncle RuralGold Men Posts: 4,045
    edited November 2013
    @RedPillWifey, I agree with what you are saying here, but I still think we don't have enough information to make a recommendation to even a non-married couple based on a 300 word introduction with no triage.

I need more information than that to pick a brand of toothpaste, much less give somebody relationship advice.

"My advice to you is get married:  if you find a good wife you'll be happy, if not, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

redheaded_womanSerenityDarkhanynia
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    @monkeys_uncle Man, I don't. All it has to say is "mint" and "cleans teeth".

JellyBeanAlphaBelleAngelineJoanna

She didn't say he's afraid of the dark.

Yes, she she did. She explicitly said it's fear. Here's the OP:

He is afraid to go past his knees in the ocean, to sit outside when he
    can even hear thunder, of most animals including pet dogs, of scary
    movies, of going within 15 feet of the woods if it's dark
    It was specifically afraid of the woods in the dark. We don't know if he's afraid of being in the city in the dark or if he's afraid of being in his house in the dark etc. Only thing mentioned specifically was the woods.

edited November 2013

It was specifically afraid of the woods in the dark. We don't know if he's afraid of being in the city in the dark or if he's afraid of being in his house in the dark etc. Only thing mentioned specifically was the woods.
    Well, wait a moment. You earlier said that she didn't specify fear as the cause, but rather he wasn't doing these things. here's what you said earlier that I was responding to.
    redheaded_woman said: She didn't say he's afraid of the dark. She said he won't go into the woods in the dark. She didn't say he's afraid of water. She said he won't swim in the ocean. She didn't say he ran away from dogs. We don't know if he just won't pet them or if he does run away.
    But that isn't the case. She said "he's afraid of..." and then listed all the things he's afraid of.
  • John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396
    @monkeys_uncle Man, I don't. All it has to say is "mint" and "cleans teeth".
    Yeah, otherwise Next it!
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    PhoenixDownLiquidSoundJoanna
  • BetaGeekBetaGeek Bringing the good betaSilver Member Posts: 1,530

they're dating, not married.

As an aside, I find the dismissive approach to non-married relationship problems on this site appalling.

My counter would be that marriage is nearly impossible to make work and that it is easier given better mate selection in the dating process.
    It's good beta.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]redheaded_woman
  • NeverSleptOnTheCouchNeverSleptOnTheCouch Silver Member Posts: 432
    Mincing the nuances of these fears i find pointless.These fears don't end at the woodline. Sounds to me It will perverse every aspect of their life.
    His growth will be further inhibited by having a woman surrogate ' mommy'.
    Clearly not husband material.
    Shes tired of it before they got married. Hey That's actually a victory.
    ScarletJellyBeanAngeline
    @frank_london Ahhh, I'm not communicating my thought well. Thanks for pointing out where I could be more clear.

Yes, he's afraid of some things....but we don't know if he's afraid of the dark in general or simply afraid of the woods in the dark.

We don't know if he's afraid of water completely or just afraid to swim in the ocean. There's a huge spectrum between being afraid of all water and being afraid of swimming in the ocean.