Biblical Alpha

Flaming_Man_of_IronFlaming_Man_of_Iron BCGold Men Zen Garden Posts: 454

While I'm not Christian myself, (Baha'i) I do find value in the study of the bible in a Red Pill lens.

I found this link:

https://freenortherner.wordpress.com/biblical-alpha/

And thought I'd share. I haven't had time to read it yet so I don't have much to say other than "looks neat". Any thoughts from practicing Christians would be tres cool.

Comments

• acmartin1960acmartin1960 TennesseeSilver Member Posts: 123
    Biblically, men are to be the leaders in a marriage. This is not an optional position. If they are not qualified, the onus on them is to get qualified.
    Now I did a job. Got nothing but trouble since I did it. Not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character. So let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job. And then I get paid. Go run your little world.
  • MaterStellieMaterStellie CanadaGold Women Zen Garden Posts: 1,136
    Biblically, men are to be the leaders in a marriage. This is not an optional position. If they are not qualified, the onus on them is to get qualified.
    or not get married?
    acmartin1960JellyBean
  • Mr_BrownMr_Brown east coastSilver Member Posts: 3,636
    Looks pretty good so far.

@simplegirl you might want to read a little of this... I think it's in your wheel house?
    Been an uphill battle, both ways, in three feet of snow, with newspapers for shoes, but I'm a better man for it!
  • Katerina_MinolaKaterina_Minola AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 64
    Oh! I don't wander into this section often, so hadn't seen this post before. Loved the comparison of reading the Old Testament with listening to Manowar. Lol. There's definitely a lot of alpha that can be gleaned from the Bible.
    May I ask you though @Flaming_Man_of_Iron ,do you find that there's a lack of alpha direction in the Baha'i writings? I've been studying them for a couple of years now, helping teach children's classes and visiting the Baha'i House of Worship when I can, and even as a woman I find there's a frustrating silence around how to positively express masculinity within the Faith. I love that man and woman are as two wings of the one dove, but get really uncomfortable when the idea that war will disappear when women have more say in how the world is run gets brought up. It's a major sticking point for me.
    I even asked a male friend raised as a Baha'i where "the guy stuff" was for Baha'i men, and he didn't know. He looked ever so pleased someone had asked though, God love him!
    [Deleted User]
  • Flaming_Man_of_IronFlaming_Man_of_Iron BCGold Men Zen Garden Posts: 454
    @Katerina_Minola

I've read a good chunk of the writings available in English (and do recall that only 5-10% of the writings have been translated from the original Persian and Arabic) when I was younger. I've fallen out of the habit as my life got busier with marriage, kids and work. 

That said, I don't ever really recall a whole lot of focus on how men OR women should really behave in one single place in any particular book. The best I've come across is an older compilation put together by the Canadian NSA, "Baha'i Marriage and Family Life".  (1983). The one part that seems to give the most information is on page 57, point 83. regarding the man being the head of the household & "unjust dominance of wives over their husbands in america". There is some red pill in the Faith's writings. 

The emphasis in the Faith's teachings is on virtues. I googled "baha'i virtue list" and found a few links. This list popped up a couple times. Notice that Assertiveness, Courage, Determination are considered a virtue. These are most certainly alpha traits. My guess is that the writings (at least what's been translated) don't spell out how men and women should attract one another because a good chunk of that is culture specific on how one has been conditioned. 

But, if you focus on virtues, which are fairly universal, even if one culture's view of say, Courage is different from another, both versions will likely be alpha in both cultures. 

assertiveness, caring, cleanliness, compassion, confidence, consideration, courage, courtesy,creativity, detachment, determination, enthusiasm, excellence, faithfulness, flexibility,forgivenessfriendliness, generosity, gentleness, gratitude,  helpfulness, honesty, honor,humility, idealism, joyfulness, justice, kindness, love, loyalty, mercy, moderation, modesty, obedience, orderliness, patience, peacefulness, prayerfulness, purposefulness, reliability, respect, responsibility, reverence, self-discipline, service, steadfastness, tact, thankfulness, tolerance, trust, trustworthiness, truthfulness, unity,
    Katerina_Minola
    I read the marriage and family life one too. I remember it encouraged the husband to be a leader but not unjustly dominant himself. I also have 'Conscious Courtship' by Raymond Switzer but it's really quite a standard 'men bury their feelings and women struggle to find meaningful activity outside the home in a male-created society' approach, which irritates me.
    Study of the virtues is probably the main focus of my investigations - I come from a background of studying history and ethics, so I've done a great deal of reading in moral philosophy, which is really all about virtues (justice is my personal favourite!) and so looking at those and teaching children's classes focused on them does keep them in my mind a lot. I have a "Family Virtues Guide" book and set of cards (which I haven't pulled out for a while but will now!).
    The friend I spoke with comes from a multilingual family, so I know he has access to a lot more literature than just the English versions (that's a good point too - the stuff that's been translated first would be the things that appeal most to the mindset of the English speaking world, and the Paris Talk on women is one I have had to explain the historical context around as a reason why I disagree with it to an extent).
    I suppose I appreciate the freedom that the Faith provides, but at the same time I am becoming acutely aware that some support in the positive expression of traditional gender roles would be helpful and have had more luck finding it in the teachings of the other main six Messengers than directly from the Baha'i writings myself. I'm very pleased to have found someone else to ask though! Our local community is very small (I have
    *(I have recommended this place to at least one male friend who I thought would benefit from it).
  • Flaming_Man_of_IronFlaming_Man_of_Iron BCGold Men Zen Garden Posts: 454
    I'm not terribly active so the people I've told about Athol aren't Baha'is.

That said, it is hard to find at times guidance on masculine and feminine behavior. There is some in that compilation I mentioned. For example, girls are to be taught how to run a household by their parents.