Does this look plus-size or normal to you

SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
I'm starting to think that the commercial fashion world must exist in an alternate universe.  So here's why.

So E.L. James has designed an official line of 50 Shades of Grey lingerie (stop snickering you peeps- this is important!  50 million frustrated women whose husbands aren't dominating them getting their vicarious jollies from these books is a social phenomenon . . . )

Anyways, here's what I'm wondering about.  When Swedish lingerie company KappAhl created an ad for the line, they chose Signe Nordstrom as their model, and they were calling her a "plus-size" model.

Have a look at the ad here

So here's my question.  Does anyone else here conceive of this model as a real-world plus-size?  To me this is normal.  What I think is the perfect weight and curvyness in a woman. 

OTOH, when I think of plus-size I think of fat.  At least that's who the plus-size clothing lines at the stores I go to are designed for.

The fashion world is all-atwitter about how ground-breaking the ad choice is because a plus-size woman is the "face" of the lingerie line (I gather that's a term in the fashion world)  It seems to be a first, at least in lingerie marketing.

So what's up here.  What kind of alternate universe do these people live in?

Comments

• MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    Normal.
    But plus size compared to this:

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    Flaming_Man_of_IronRapunzel
    The real world and fashion industry are parallel universums.
    They don't meet in reality.

Only very few models actually look good and proportionate in real life.
    Just look at Alessandra Ambrosio on the left and compare her to Crystal Renn and Brooklyn Decker, two normal-sized models.

Very interesting pic. Not photoshopped or airbrushed yet...

Flaming_Man_of_IronPurpleBetaGeekjklm
  • OneEyedDrunkOneEyedDrunk Out West Silver Member Posts: 1,808
    SMan said:
    I'm starting to think that the commercial fashion world must exist in an alternate universe.  So here's why.

So E.L. James has designed an official line of 50 Shades of Grey lingerie (stop snickering you peeps- this is important!  50 million frustrated women whose husbands aren't dominating them getting their vicarious jollies from these books is a social phenomenon . . . )

Anyways, here's what I'm wondering about.  When Swedish lingerie company KappAhl created an ad for the line, they chose Signe Nordstrom as their model, and they were calling her a "plus-size" model.

Have a look at the ad here

So here's my question.  Does anyone else here conceive of this model as a real-world plus-size?  To me this is normal.  What I think is the perfect weight and curvyness in a woman. 

OTOH, when I think of plus-size I think of fat.  At least that's who the plus-size clothing lines at the stores I go to are designed for.

The fashion world is all-atwitter about how ground-breaking the ad choice is because a plus-size woman is the "face" of the lingerie line (I gather that's a term in the fashion world)  It seems to be a first, at least in lingerie marketing.

So what's up here.  What kind of alternate universe do these people live in?

By societies standards? Yes, she is definitely plus size. By my standards? She's hot! Is this a thread where we post our appreciation for beautiful women that some segments of society have shunned? I'm in...
    image.jpg
    200 x 300 - 17K
    oneeyeddrunk.weebly.com
  • DanGDanG Member Posts: 1,519
    Q: Who are they trying to sell the product to?

A: The " 50 million frustrated women" - MOST of whom would have a hard time getting down to even a "plus size." IMO, they could have even gone a little chunkier to make the dream even more tenable.

HildaCornersTiger_Lily
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    There is a store called Torrid that sells plus-size women's clothing.  They use euphemistic terms like "curvy" and "real" in their advertising.  There is a Torrid near the Target that I go to, and the women I see going in there are not "curvy," they're obese.  I used to be very overweight so I know how badly fat girls want to feel that they are average or normal.  There is a lot of distorted thinking going on.

Here is a dress for sale on the Torrid website.  I actually think it is a pretty dress and the plus-size model looks great (except for the horrible shoes that make her look like she has hooves instead of feet!).

Enneagram type 9w1
    DanG
  • Flaming_Man_of_IronFlaming_Man_of_Iron BCGold Men Zen Garden Posts: 454
    @Sman

Normal sized. 
    mrsozzy said:
    She's very tall, so she is well-proportioned and looks good.

My first thought when seeing this was, why the granny panties for a supposedly sexy lingerie line? Those things are huge.
    And they make her bum look a bit on the flat side, because they are so high-waisted.
    But that's just the panties; she has a great figure.
    mrsozzy
  • mrsozzymrsozzy texasGold Women Posts: 1,950
    I've seen some of these lately at VS too. They  wouldn't look good on me at all.

A garter belt with a little more substance can look much more flattering than a skimpy one with the right details.

But in my opinion even the VS models don't look that great in these new big panties they seem to be pushing.
    ozzyMaria
  • KathrynthegreatKathrynthegreat TeamAmazonWarriorPrincessMember Posts: 3,770
    judyjudy said:
    Maria said:
    Normal.

Photoshopped. Legs and torso too long 

Nobody ever says Yao Ming is photoshopped.  Or The Big Show.  
    PhoenixDown
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    This is the kind of shit that makes me absolutely loopy!!!

^{*^}%>%%%&&&$))(;;^^*** body image issues!!!!! It's always one step forward two steps back with me.
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    romanceauthorDanG
    judyjudy said:
    Maria said:
    Normal.

Photoshopped. Legs and torso too long 
    They all are photoshopped.
    But Chanel Iman is really very, very lanky.
    [Deleted User]Persephone
  • SomeDudeSomeDude Silver Member Posts: 833
    I say she's plus-size AND normal.

That's a big woman, too big for me. I like to outweigh women I'm with by a good margin, and honestly I think most women would prefer the guy they are with to be "bigger" than them too.

So she's normal, but she's plus sized.
    And skinny little pixie chicks are normal too.
    And so are tall lanky chicks.
    All normal

However, obese is not normal.

[Deleted User]WinterRapunzel
  • BearinthetreesBearinthetrees Silver Member Posts: 88
    edited December 2013
    Let us be honest with ourselves.

The average American male and female is....

A TOTAL FATASS!

That is a fact, doubt it go directly to the CDC and look up average sizes - 34% for women is the American average "normal" - men are just as bad in proportion.

The model in the video is more than 20% body fat, less than 27% she is heaver than the typical model but not nearly as fat as the average. She is above prime fitness levels in fat percentage.

Fat is the number one cause of health problems (including death) in the US that is completely preventable and reversible!
    MustacheredheadBritguy68Rapunzel
  • BetaGeekBetaGeek Bringing the good betaSilver Member Posts: 1,530
    edited December 2013
    She is all kinds of sexy. I would be in heaven spending every waking moment staring at and touching her.

She doesn't need to lose body fat.
    It's good beta.
    [Deleted User]Talktome