Couples who share the housework are more likely to divorce, study finds

ReggieKReggieK PNW, USASilver Member Posts: 12
edited September 2012 in Married Life

It speaks for itself – Couples who share house work more likely to divorce, study finds

In what appears to be a slap in the face for gender equality, the report found the divorce rate among couples who shared housework equally was around 50 per cent higher than among those where the woman did most of the work.

“What we’ve seen is that sharing equal responsibility for work in the home doesn’t necessarily contribute to contentment,” said Thomas Hansen, co-author of the study entitled “Equality in the Home”. The lack of correlation between equality at home and quality of life was surprising, the researcher said. “One would think that break-ups would occur more often in families with less equality at home, but our statistics show the opposite,” he said. The figures clearly show that “the more a man does in the home, the higher the divorce rate,” he went on.

What do you think?

Tagged:

Comments

• CaptVereCaptVere Silver Member Posts: 1,592
    Shocking.  This is why MMSL and all relationship advice forums exist:

1) Man works his ass off to provide and help with housework and kids because he has been told that his whole life.
    2) Wife thinks she wants this, but gets bored with her caregiving partner.
    3) Wife friendzones him or has some kind of affair or both.
    4) Husband gets resentful.
    5) She files for divorce.

That's how blue pill world works.

In Red Pill world the man starts running the MAP at stage 3 and he's the one who files instead of getting to stages 4 and 5 if she doesn't improve.  He doesn't self pity.  He demands better of her and himself instead of blaming her.

I don't think you have to delegate all of the housework to her though.  If she's stay at home, then yes, that's basically part of her job.  If you are both working you can split it up.  It's not the housework that's the problem.  It's more that it's part of an underlying submissive husband attitude.  The Red Pill husband still helps out, but that's his beta comfort and he makes up for it with many other alpha behaviors.

fredlessAngelinejklmChanged_Man
  • AthenaAthena Member Posts: 438
    Neither of us does as much as we should, so I guess we'll be fine.
    AngelineLinanati
  • MAPsterMAPster Member Posts: 611
    I used to be help boy. Did dishes, vacuumed, laundry, surprise house cleaning. All of that.

Along with remodel projects, fixed cars myself, created income out of nowhere, failed shit tests, etc.

Wife: nagged and nagged and nagged and.....didn't want sex much. Once a week minimum but that to me is nothing.

Now, after MAP. I don't cook, don't clean, do only my laundry, say NO a lot, pass shit tests and still fix cars, do some remodel projects and I run dread game and a lot of alpha confidence.

Sex happens at least 4 times a week. Wife couldn't be happier and more loving.

Go figure. It sucks, I know but if you married a pitbull, why are you feeding her bird seed? It's how I see it.

If all this bullshit is what she needs then just do it. Don't think why. Do and fuck more.
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046

But the deeper reasons for the higher divorce rate, he suggested, came from the values of “modern” couples rather than the chores they shared.

"Modern couples are just that, both in the way they divide up the chores and in their perception of marriage” as being less sacred, Mr Hansen said. “In these modern couples, women also have a high level of education and a well-paid job, which makes them less dependent on their spouse financially.

Overdoing the Beta stuff isn't good, but it's vastly easier to leave a marriage if you're a working woman than a SAHM. Follow the money.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

FiguringOutideadudeLinanatiChanged_Man
  • PastorofMuppetsPastorofMuppets Silver Member Posts: 125
    Small study of Norwegians whose author even plays down the result.
    I could link studies of Americans that show couples who share housework are happier and have sex more often.
    Like this one:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704500604574485351638147312.html
  • PrezPrez Member Posts: 471
    I'd like to see them control for 'stay and home mom.'  Maybe stay at home moms are less likely to divorce, and their doing more housework goes along with that. 

Why can't they post enough information to make these studies easy to find, or at least post the variables and the main regression tables? 
    [Deleted User]FiguringOut
  • GeoffGeoff Member Posts: 108
    I didn't read the article but the first thing that comes to mind is scorekeepers and tit for tat. Take 2 entitled, selfish people together and one starts keeping score...resentment ensues. We know how that story goes right? Because its certainly possible for couples to live happily while sharing the workload. Mostly depends upon how the interact about it.
    [Deleted User]
  • LouiseLouise EnglandSilver Member Posts: 1,622
    As I'm a housewife, I expect to do most of the housework anyway. But if I worked as well, can't say I'd care for it if he left it all to me. Unless he didn't expect me to do it either. I mean, if he came in and didn't grab the vacuum cleaner, that would be all right with me, so long as he didn't expect me to grab it either.
    Linanati
  • mook_zmook_z Gold Men Posts: 1,267
    Correlation is not causation. A could cause B. B could cause A. C could cause both A & B.
    Regardless, still interesting.
    "you ... are right." - DaddyOh
  • PegalaPegala Member Posts: 53
    Journalism is after a 'story' which suits what it thinks its readers want. The Telegraph happens to be a conservative newspaper whose readers would be expected to favour women doing the housework, hence it picks up on this, and doesn't give its readers any information that will empower them. A more liberal journal would pick up a different study and give it a different spin.
    That's how the media works, I don't think there is much to learn about actual marriages and relationships from this.