DHV - Project Complete? Check - You're Awesome

Comments

• LennyLenny AustraliaMember Posts: 123
    @IrishGypsy Check out http://www.ana-white.com/ Simple plans, great results. Makes me look good.
    IrishGypsyTenneeJellyBean
  • IrishGypsyIrishGypsy UKSilver Member Posts: 407
    Lenny said:
    @IrishGypsy Check out http://www.ana-white.com/ Simple plans, great results. Makes me look good.
    Cheers. I'll take a look later. :)
  • Adam_SAdam_S Queenslander!Silver Member Posts: 1,893

@nubby that looks awesome. How do you get the wood flat exactly? Is it done by eye or do you have a reference of some sort?

I like your man cave too BTW.

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

CartB4Horse
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    @Adam_S I'm using a 6' level as a straight edge. And taking measurements on the edges. I go cross grain to flatten then I'll go with the grain to smooth and then a cabinet scraper to get a nice smooth finish. 

My friend wants a light stain which when working with birch is tricky if using traditional wipe on oil based stains so I'll finish it with a spray dye and several coats of a 2 part varnish. 

My shop is small but is my sanctuary. Hopefully the gas radiant heater will be up and running real soon. It's starting to get pretty cool out at night. 
    AngelineTenneeShepard
    edited September 30
    The bottom of the tabletop is now flat to within about 1/16". Seeing as it's the bottom, I'll only make sure that 6" all around the perimeter are finished smooth enough for staining and varnishing. 
    I screwed a cleat across one end past where the top will be cut down to stabilize while sanding. I will attach one on the other end then flip the top over and scrape and sand the top. 
    Its been a great arm workout and I'm more than happy with the results so far. 

image.jpeg
    2448 x 2448 - 955K
    AngelineTenneeShepardBlueWolf

How do you join the boards together?

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

But, but you've got a bloody great table saw, right there!

Seriously though that's a lovely piece of work.

Tennee
  • IrishGypsyIrishGypsy UKSilver Member Posts: 407
     @nubby I'll be starting a wood-project related thread tonight and I'll be hoping you won't mind keeping an eye on it as it'll be the kid's Christmas present this year.
    TenneeShepard
    @IrishGypsy awesome idea. Maybe start it in the off topic section. I'll see if @Angeline can move these posts there once you start it. 
    IrishGypsy
  • CallmeCatCallmeCat DownsouthSilver Member Posts: 236
    @monkeydog and that's probably a good thing. 
    monkeydog