Biblical thoughts on divorve and sexless marriages

Comments

• WildManWildMan WAMember Posts: 114

The whole issue of hypergamy is exactly why the Word tells women to submit, honor and respect their husbands, to learn in silence with full submission, to not teach or have authority over a man, and to respect and honor even those husbands who are not Christians and not obedient to the Word.

I frankly believe that if more women obeyed and observed these commands - especially if they are Christian women married to Christian men - they would see their husbands differently, not as equals but as heads, as leaders, and as authority figures. If they could stop worrying about whether or not they feel like it and just DO it, they would see their husbands correctly in light of Scripture.

But I believe women would also get what they want. On the rare occasion that my wife does look to me for leadership and verbalizes it, I feel like a million bucks on the inside, and immediately charge at whatever it is I need to do with enthusiasm and energy. A word like that from a woman will make most men begin to rise, gird their loins and growl like the warriors they're made to be.

ProfessorDaveAlphaBelleRapunzelMarianascentLiquidSound
  • ProfessorDaveProfessorDave Member Posts: 37

Threads like this make me want to go back to MGTOW. 

Jesus himself very clearly said divorce is only allowed in case of infidelity.  However, in the 1st Century the man could just take another wife and ignore his frigid betrothed- or take her against her will with no repercussions.  In todays world I almost think Jesus would not be totally opposed to spinning plates for sexless married guys.  OK, that is me projecting but IT IS a violation of the marriage agreement!  Unreasonable denial of sex to a spouse IS a sin. It is NOT always the man's fault.  The guy is MAPing and becoming a better man and the wife is resisting him every step of the way.  Jeez.

I don't want to shock anybody; I know we don't hear this very often- in society or on these boards because when a man doesn't get sex it is because his wife is hurt most likely over something the man did or did not do- when a woman doesn't get sex it is because the man is not taking care of his health. 

I don't know your story but I cannot understand why the default assumption is that it is entirely YOUR fault. Wannabe I agree with you COMPLETELY.  IMO your wife is using your religious beliefs against you in a cold, cruel, deliberate, and very calculated way.   I am so sorry.  I wish there was an answer and I wish I could help you but I don't think anything is going to change until you convince her you really are willing to go down that path.  I am also Christian but as sure as the sun shines I would walk out that door if my wife denied both sex and affection for an extended period.

My interpretation is that you can't leave your "wife" except for infidelity.  What you have right now is not a "wife."

• liquidliquid Brooklyn, NYSilver Member Posts: 1,785
    Your wife is not a Christian. So - you are unequally yoked. Peter is pretty clear on what wives ought to be doing about their unbelieving husband, but I can't think of anything particular towards a husband in the same position...this really has me thinking!

OK - I realize that was no help. I am sorry.

Katt
    edited January 2014
    WildMan said:

But I believe women would also get what they want. On the rare occasion that my wife does look to me for leadership and verbalizes it, I feel like a million bucks on the inside, and immediately charge at whatever it is I need to do with enthusiasm and energy. A word like that from a woman will make most men begin to rise, gird their loins and growl like the warriors they're made to be.

I have attended very conservative churches and we women were strongly encouraged towards submission and respect, but also told NEVER to expect him to change. That we are obeying God, not trying to change our husbands. This is why the Map resonates with me - I am doing what I ought to do, not to change him, but because it is right.

ETA: I do wish one thing led to the other. That he would be a better man and more loving as I became more sweet and respectful, but I have not see this in my marriage.
    WildMan
  • CowboyCowboy In the South, USASilver Member Posts: 1,994
    At the risk of stirring up something hot, I have come to the conclusion that the reason the Bible - and societies in general - set up the Capt./FO model is because that was the best blueprint based on people's biological wiring. Whether or not modern women have better options or not, we are still wired that way.
    If I take away the directive that a women should submit to her husband, but leave in place other restrictions, what do I get? I don't want my wife to sleep with me because she thinks she has to, but sometimes acceptance of limitations in life can make them more enjoyable, as I think @liquid was saying. If I accept that work will be something I have to do, I can take steps to ensure I do something I like, and also take some pride in it.
    "Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity
    liquidKattSaluki
    Mandrill said:
    While God's word is always applicable, I think you have to look at who was writing it and when. I expect when most men had a life of physical labor and their wives' responsibility was the house and children it was unusual to have a sexless marriage. A woman's existence was totally reliant on her husband (or male relative). The women in the bible are all associated with men who provide for them with the exception of prostitutes and possessed/crazy women. When Jesus is on the Cross he tells his (widowed) mother that John is responsible for her now.

Women aren't totally reliant on men anymore for the necessities of life and while you can look at the bible and see the blueprint for a happy marriage, I don't think telling your wife "God says give it up," is going to be effective. A woman in biblical times had no choice but to see her husband as her leader, women today have options so you have to show you're the leader.

I'd like to start down the slippery slope of taking into account who was writing and when. That way, husbands could say, "I know the Bible says husbands should love our wives, but she's a rhymes-with-witch and I want to go bang Miss What's-Her-Name." After all, perhaps marital love itself is an antiquated notion that should be replaced. But what do you suppose are the chances of preachers and priests standing before their congregations and telling their female audiences, "If you want him to love you, you had better be lovable."

(I realize that that would actually be good advice ... I just think we all know what women, especially American women, would say in response.)

Men are not without options either, it's just that our "options" still carry consequences (custody loss, child support, jail time and anger management) while women's carry benefits (custody, child support, freedom and a new guy to bang).

[Deleted User]Natalie_Lorin
    @Katt, @Mandrill, I think you're right that the win-win situation is for the husband to step up, lead, and increase her attraction so she wants to have sex.  And I do think that reality is that a lot of modern women really aren't go for "God says give it up," especially ones that want to pick and choose scripture to suit their needs.
    In my case, I think being too accommodating, rather than bad decisions, have been my problem.  Like a lot of women, yielding to her wishes hasn't been so much her "leadership" as arranging things to her benefit.  Not that my wife is stealing, but it's the difference between a political leader who has a plan for his country and tries to make decisions in what he thinks is its best interest, and one who uses his power to siphon money from the treasury into his personal Swiss bank account.  But I digress.
    So, what if the man is really trying hard to lead, succeeding or not, and yet he's still in a sexless marriage, or darn close to one?  For reference, my wife last night told me point blank there was no way she would ever, ever agree to have sex as often as I wanted, as she was mad at herself for sleeping with me as much as she was.
    Is there some Biblical insight to be found here? Yes, we live in different times, but the larger picture of the Bible's wisdom, in general, should hold true at all times and places.
    "Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity
    Katt said:
    If your wife is fighting on accepting you as the leader, you need to examine why. Acting like a good leader with his shit together goes a lot further than telling your wife repeatedly that she is obligated to submit to you.

Yes, well, I wasn't the one who chiseled it in the pages of the New Testament ... if women in general have be told to respect their husbands by the Holy Spirit then I would say it ought to be women who need to examine "why." As a military vet I totally understand the difference between lousy leaders and good ones, but it didn't change the fact that I was subject to and obligated to respect their authority in either case.

Besides, there are men the world over who act like good leaders with their sh-t together and their wives still disrespect them. That is why the Bible is loaded with proverbs and warnings about letting women have free rein.

That slippery slope argument is nonsense. Saying that you can't rape because we live in 2014 is not the same as saying pick and choose what you like from the bible.

It specifically says you shouldn't divorce your wife and go with other women because of adultery and fornication, and it specifically says that husbands and wives should have sex unless they both agree not to. However, in the world we live in today, forcing your wife to have sex when she doesn't want to is rape. In 35 AD, that was having a disagreeable wife. Even if your wife in 35 AD hated you, she would end up hating you with her vagina, because her options were limited. Where was she going to go? She had no choice but to submit to her husband.

People are different now, the culture is different, our ways of thinking are different. If you want to live like people lived two thousand years ago where then there was no such thing as marital rape try a Muslim country.

While I don't agree with many of the cultural changes we're making in the West, and I think we'd be better off following traditional standards, I'm glad my daughter isn't going to grow up to be property.

The bible says submit to your husband,  but "God said give it up" isn't going to work today and complaining that it's supposed to be that way isn't going to make it so.

Churches should preach what was said and not pick and choose, but they don't. While you can argue that we'd be better off if the default was that wives should give their husbands the benefit of the doubt regarding leadership (and I would argue that), that doesn't mean that some men aren't going to screw it up and require their wives to lead if the marriage is to remain functioning (that's why I'm here--I screwed up and thank God my wife was there to bail us out--getting back the captain's chair isn't easy though--and neither is giving it up). You mentioned in your own post that you're the leader in your relationship--if your wife and her friends and family agree, otherwise she protests and resists. How is telling your wife you're in charge because the bible says so working out for you?

I never mentioned anything about rape. I said that if women should not be obligated to obey the command to respect their husbands, then men should not be required to obey the command to love their wives. I think we probably agree on that.

Also, I agree that people are different now, but Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever, according to Hebrews. He would not have given this command to women three different times in three different books through two of the most respected and obeyed apostles in all of Christendom if he did not observe a sinful tendency in the fairer sex to be disrespectful and devious whether their men were lousy leaders or good ones.

For a good example of this, observe the disrespect shown by Michal, daughter of Saul, to King David when he returned home from a great military campaign dancing like a fool before God with his schlong exposed - this is the King of Israel, an extremely successful, powerful, athletic and gifted alpha male with all the game in the world - and she still sneered at him and spewed disrespectful remarks at him. If David couldn't get no respect, the rest of us shouldn't be expecting it either - and we should remind them that they are in violation of the authority they claim to be under if they choose that path.

To answer your question, asserting my sexual privileges under the Bible does not work, but that is not solely because I am not an attractive male in my wife's eyes. It is also because I am married to a fallen, sinful human female who is a descendant of her first mother, who joined eagerly in the rebellion against God. This (to me) is why portions of the NT seem quite harsh and stern with women when compared with today's standards - but the more I understand about how differently they view concepts like honor and duty, the less surprised I am that Paul and Peter had to write them.

WildMan said:
     I said that if women should not be obligated to obey the command to respect their husbands, then men should not be required to obey the command to love their wives. I think we probably agree on that.
    I do not see this at all. Especially since the OP has stated that his wife is not a Christian. How can he hold her to a Biblical standard of behavior? Can he, or you or anyone, really say "God, because my wife is, or is behaving as, an unbeliever and treats me badly, I don't have to obey you. Change her and then I will do as I ought."?
    Katt[Deleted User]RapunzelLiquidSound
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    Also, on the comment that there are plenty of good men who are good leaders whose wives don't submit: There are also submissive wives whose husbands fail to love them. We are dealing with human beings here, there will always be some failures
    LL80[Deleted User]AngelaAlexZ
  • SalukiSaluki United StatesSilver Member Posts: 649
    edited February 2014
    At the risk of stirring up something hot, I have come to the conclusion that the reason the Bible - and societies in general - set up the Capt./FO model is because that was the best blueprint based on people's biological wiring. Whether or not modern women have better options or not, we are still wired that way. If I take away the directive that a women should submit to her husband, but leave in place other restrictions, what do I get? I don't want my wife to sleep with me because she thinks she has to, but sometimes acceptance of limitations in life can make them more enjoyable, as I think @liquid was saying. If I accept that work will be something I have to do, I can take steps to ensure I do something I like, and also take some pride in it.
    Agree to an extent.  But there are some things that are biologically wired that are not good for society, such as the male desire to copulate with as many females as possible.  IMO social prescriptions born of religions are evolutionary means of harnessing and regulating these ant-social biological tendencies.

This is why atheist writers of the Victorian era, thought they chafed at the severe moral restrictions, nevertheless saw them, and their religious foundation, as necessary for civilization.

Take away the foundation, and the edifice begins to crumble.
    "Why chase a girl that doesn't want to get caught?" - Don Draper
    "As long as you can get it up, I'll want it in." - Mrs. Saluki, just before marriage
    "I said that?!" - Mrs. Saluki 20 years later
    HildaCorners
    Saluki said:

At the risk of stirring up something hot, I have come to the conclusion that the reason the Bible - and societies in general - set up the Capt./FO model is because that was the best blueprint based on people's biological wiring. Whether or not modern women have better options or not, we are still wired that way.
    If I take away the directive that a women should submit to her husband, but leave in place other restrictions, what do I get? I don't want my wife to sleep with me because she thinks she has to, but sometimes acceptance of limitations in life can make them more enjoyable, as I think @liquid was saying. If I accept that work will be something I have to do, I can take steps to ensure I do something I like, and also take some pride in it.

Agree to an extent.  But there are some things that are biologically wired that are not good for society, such as the male desire to copulate with as many females as possible.  IMO social prescriptions born of religions are evolutionary means of harnessing and regulating these ant-social biological tendencies.

This is why atheist writers of the Victorian era, thought they chafed at the severe moral restrictions, nevertheless saw them, and their religious foundation, as necessary for civilization.

Take away the foundation, and the edifice begins to crumble.

@saluki, I agree that we can't let people follow EVERY biological urge. That would be chaos. I think the model that we had: Capt/FO, people marrying once, people avoiding sex until marriage, served the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but nothing involving people is. And, yes, you can make a case that cheap birth control and a wealthy society, etc. Make this kind of model less necessary. But I think it was based on an attempt to balance human nature with human capability.
    As someone has said, we used to tell men to be gentlemen so they don't treat women like sex objects. We told women to keep a rein on their tongues so they wouldn't become spiteful gossips and nags.

Katt said:
    @wildman I suggest you seriously consider the model of Christ and the Church for marriage. We love and follow Christ because he first loved us, no? Christ loves his bride (the Church) even when she fails to follow Him. Husbands are called to love their wives in the most radical and unselfish of ways, as Christ sacrificed himself for the Church. If your attempts at leadership come off as either weak and incompetent OR selfish powermongering, your wife is not going to feel compelled to submit to you no matter how many times you hit her over the head with Scripture. Sorry. You can keep raging about her perceived failures, or you can channel that energy into becoming a man she sees as worthy of her submission. You will likely find her deference more satisfying if you know it comes from a place of actual admiration and respect rather than fear or coercion.

@Katt - I'm afraid I find too many Scriptures declaring an unabashed and ordained hierarchical relationship by no less than God the Father to accept the egalitarian premise that a man must prove his worthiness for a woman to follow. I'm not arguing that it is a reality we must observe in the post-post-modern world. I simply refuse to accept that it is a just one, or that it cannot be different through genuine obedience to the Word.

Since you mention Christ's example analogous to the husband's role, may we step back a moment and consider his example analogous to the wife's? Christ also lived in perfect submission and obedience to a Father who abandoned him to a bloody, agonizing death on a cross to save a race of beings 100% deserving of eternal damnation, most of whom couldn't care less. Does that fit your definition of being "worthy of following"? It doesn't fit mine - and I put my life on the line for my country in combat for a similarly apathetic result.

My point in arguing these and other Scriptures is that irrespective of how we feel at any given moment, both of us are right. A husband has no business not loving his wife, whether or not she is unlovable. And a wife has no business disrespecting her husband, whether or not he is respectable. But only one of these is emphasized, and in some cases bellowed, at the XY half of the church these days. The other part is taught in hushed tones, perhaps once a year, that immediately emphasize all of the exceptions women can claim rather than the duties they must fulfill - not to mention that there is no accountability for failure to comply.

Which is why I have turned to the MAP - this stuff simply isn't taught in church.

Katt said:
    Also, on the comment that there are plenty of good men who are good leaders whose wives don't submit: There are also submissive wives whose husbands fail to love them. We are dealing with human beings here, there will always be some failures

Yes, but only one of us is ordained to household headship. A husband's dereliction of his duty will not be blamed on his wife; a wife's refusal to submit will not be blamed on her husband.

"The head of every woman is man, the head of every man is Christ, the head of Christ is God."