What music are you listening to?

Version3Version3 Silver Member Posts: 1,906

New Kings of Leon album is out today, so I'm shuffling that. Also got the new Chvrches album to shuffle later! Score.

Recent additions to my playlists:

• Naked and Famous' album 'In Rolling Waves"
  • Killers single "Shot at the Night"
  • The 1975's new album
  • Bastille's  'Bad Blood

"The pain of discipline is a tiny thing compared to the pain of regret."

It's an obstacle. Get over it.

[Deleted User]

Comments

• ZoroasterZoroaster Silver Member Posts: 735
    I'm not currently listening to anything. But, looking through a subset of my workout playlist:

Thunderstruck, AC/DC
    Free For All, Ted Nugent
    Scatman (Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop) - Scatman John
    Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor
    Washington Post -John Philip Sousa
    Stars And Stripes Forever - John Philip Sousa
    Rock 'n Roll All Night - Kiss
    Not The Same Without You - Donald Fagen

I'll admit Sousa is an odd choice for this type of playlist, but it works for me. Great for keeping pace while jogging. Besides which, Sousa is awesome.
    Version3HildaCorners
  • DaveBowmanDaveBowman Member Posts: 5,823
    This second? Queens of the Stone age.

Love Naked and Famous. How is the new Kings of Leon?

• Version3Version3 Silver Member Posts: 1,906

I haven't fully digested it--mostly background music to working rather than listening for effect. But a couple of songs caught my attention.

I rarely buy a whole album unless I listen to it first on Spotify but I did the pre-order here--I guess I had faith in them.

The two albums I can recommend without question from recent-ish releases are The National and Jimmy Eat World.

• acmartin1960acmartin1960 TennesseeSilver Member Posts: 123
    If I'm running its Evanescence, if I'm lifting its AC/DC. If I'm meditating or relaxing after a hard workout, its classical strings. If I'm down and need an energy lift its Vivaldi's Four Seasons. If im going out on the town its some loud party country. If I'm feeling spiritual its various acapella groups. Come to my house - get musical whiplash.
    Now I did a job. Got nothing but trouble since I did it. Not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character. So let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job. And then I get paid. Go run your little world.
    KillaHertz
  • type_plustype_plus Silver Member Posts: 211
    edited September 2013
    What does the Fox say :D
    Patrock[Deleted User]WinterBabyMakes5_dad
  • PatrockPatrock OhioSilver Member Posts: 485
    I listen to the same thing every day, shuffle of my Pandora stations, all with tons of variety artists added:

Frank Sinatra Radio
    Macklemore Radio
    Twenty-one Pilots Radio
    Cage the Elephant Radio
    Eminem Radio
    Slipknot Radio
    Dubstep Radio
    Sublime Radio
    Apocalyptica Radio

I get bored easily so it helps to have variety....
    -------------------------------
    Eat. Sleep. Mate. Defend.
    [Deleted User]
  • LouiseLouise EnglandSilver Member Posts: 1,622
    I'm listening to The Arcadians by Lionel Monckton, a musical from 1910. very amusing. he recording I have was made by the Ohio Light Opera, and some of the performers sound a little odd attempting English accents, but I daresay an English production of 'Oklahoma' would sound a bit odd to Americans, and it is the only complete recording of this enchanting musical that exists as far as I know.
    shibari
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    I listened to the new Dream Theater album on my run this morning... not bad, but nothing new for them.
  • neenneen Member Posts: 3,390
    @Patrock you inspired me to create a new Macklemore radio on apple internet radio, Loving this. Thank you for the inspiration.  :-bd

Yeah, I just added it on Pandora! :)
    nothing makes me stronger than your fragile heart
    [Deleted User]
  • liquidliquid Brooklyn, NYSilver Member Posts: 1,785
    This week I have been listening, on Pandora, to Howard Jones Radio and Astrud Gilberto Radio. New Wave makes me feel young again and the Bossa Nova seems to go with my smaller bottom as I dance around while folding the laundry.

Bacause my kids are all around, I also, inadvertently, listen to a lot of Grizzly Bear, Caravan Palace and Billie Holiday.

Version3
  • SugarAndSpiceSugarAndSpice Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 757
    CubicleZ7 said:
    type_plus said:
    What does the Fox say :D

I haven't been able to get this song out of my head for the past few days.  It is HUGE with the students on campus now, and my kids have begged me to play it for them the past few nights.  I knew it would work its way into this thread eventually...

Try clicking on "Someone Like Me", by the same artist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEnaoydUUo

Ok, I just checked out The Fox song. I couldn't see where they were gonna go with it after the beginning but they went into totally silly territory and it was totally great.

[Deleted User]
  • DaveBowmanDaveBowman Member Posts: 5,823
    I think a bunch of you guys might dig this station... I listen to it pretty heavily:

BAGeL Radio

What alternative rock radio should sound like.

Spanning four decades of great alternative, post-punk, indie rock and noise pop, you'll hear artists like Frightened Rabbit, The White Stripes, Metric, The National, Tune-Yards, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Thermals, The Smiths, Blur, Radiohead, Mission of Burma, Chameleons UK, Siouxsie & The Banshees, X, and just about every Slumberland Records band ever. And every Friday is 480 Minutes: Ted plays and discusses the latest and greatest music in real time. For eight hours. Seriously. From 9am-5pm Pacific.

Patrock[Deleted User]playtripper
    I think a bunch of you guys might dig this station... I listen to it pretty heavily:

BAGeL Radio

What alternative rock radio should sound like.

Spanning four decades of great alternative, post-punk, indie rock and noise pop, you'll hear artists like Frightened Rabbit, The White Stripes, Metric, The National, Tune-Yards, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Thermals, The Smiths, Blur, Radiohead, Mission of Burma, Chameleons UK, Siouxsie & The Banshees, X, and just about every Slumberland Records band ever. And every Friday is 480 Minutes: Ted plays and discusses the latest and greatest music in real time. For eight hours. Seriously. From 9am-5pm Pacific.

In the car I listen to AltNation and XMU on Sirius. My older make of radio doesn't have an AUX input but I can do the FM transmitter thing. The two big benefits are no ads, and new music. It still frustrates me terribly that they likely have 10,000-song playlists and yet continually run the top 20 or so songs all day. Disadvantage of kind of taking listener requests, I guess.

I've always thought that a truly random playlist radio station from a big enough library would be a huge draw. That's essentially what I do with my iPod--the playlist AltMaster has over 3000 songs in it. Shuffling that is fun.

The other good means I've found for finding new music (other than friends' suggestions) is the KEXP Song of the Day podcast.

• KillaHertzKillaHertz Rollin' on 8Member Posts: 501
    Constant diet of Black Stone Cherry lately. I just discovered them and am head-over-heels.

While doing a selfie-strip-show last night (as in, stripping and taking selfies and sending them to someone...not stripping for myself, haha), Lady Gaga.

Hawk always puts on the country TV station during sex, and while I do love country, I think making a mix would be better. I mean, I Drive Your Truck just doesn't lend itself to hot sex.
    Nobody believes your excuses except for you.
    Do not fear the first step into dark forests. Remember that halfway in begins the journey out.  ~Uncle S.
    Don't let the drama llama eat you. They eat anything, and their hunger never dies. ~Eric
    Version3playtripperPurple
  • BetaGeekBetaGeek Bringing the good betaSilver Member Posts: 1,530
    Tegan and Sara. I have loved them for about 8 years. Last concert with my wife, I was one of about 15% of the crowd that was male. Heterosexual males? I may have been one of about ten people in the room of about 500.
    It's good beta.
    Version3DaveBowmanSmashmaster
    BetaGeek said:
    Tegan and Sara. I have loved them for about 8 years. Last concert with my wife, I was one of about 15% of the crowd that was male. Heterosexual males? I may have been one of about ten people in the room of about 500.
    Saw them live last night, since they opened for fun. (No, literally for fun.) The merch tent cracked me up--there were a couple of shirts with both of them on it, but for most only one was on there so it seemed like you needed to declare a favorite. I would have a hard time saying one or the other.

I'm on Spotify listening to Au Revoir Simone. Next up: All Time Low.